FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Possible War with Korea

RoylanM
There might be a possible war between Korea and the United States of America. I mainly think the reasons are because of the bombs and other weapons. I think many other countries would be affected by the war if it happened and that's what both the USA and Korea need to consider. I also think it's kinda weird for Korea to suddenly make weapons of mass destruction out of the blue. I want to know what everyone thinks might happen or could this happen. There are many possiblilites and only one could happen.
twotrophy
RoylanM wrote:
There might be a possible war between Korea and the United States of America. I mainly think the reasons are because of the bombs and other weapons. I think many other countries would be affected by the war if it happened and that's what both the USA and Korea need to consider. I also think it's kinda weird for Korea to suddenly make weapons of mass destruction out of the blue. I want to know what everyone thinks might happen or could this happen. There are many possiblilites and only one could happen.

North Korea has been making threats for years against other countries. We can't tell how serious these threats are but most of them are probably fake. Nothing has changed in this poor country being ruled by a dictator. It is a small possibility that they might go to war in my opinion in the near future.
LxGoodies
twotrophy wrote:
RoylanM wrote:

North Korea has been making threats for years against other countries. We can't tell how serious these threats are but most of them are probably fake. Nothing has changed in this poor country being ruled by a dictator. It is a small possibility that they might go to war in my opinion in the near future.

Hmm.. deja vu.. Remember Saddam's alledged biological weapons of mass destruction ? He would be able to hit Europe in 45 min.. now suppose NK would actually be able to launch their A-weapon into space, are they actually able to let it land somewhere, accurately ? Maybe a ballistics expert can answer this ?

Lx
biolu
It is quite usual that North Korea makes empty threats when USA and South Korea have joint training opreations.
The smaller a dog is, louder does it bark...
There is no point for North Korea to open hostilities with USA. Nor do they have a firepower, nor the support of their allies (China) if they do so.
twotrophy
biolu wrote:
It is quite usual that North Korea makes empty threats when USA and South Korea have joint training opreations.
The smaller a dog is, louder does it bark...
There is no point for North Korea to open hostilities with USA. Nor do they have a firepower, nor the support of their allies (China) if they do so.

Once, North Korea threatened the South to stop military training in a place which it claims to be North Korean sea territory. As a result, the North bombed an island in the South which happened in 2011 which of us would have known. But thank you for your opinion about how weak the country is. It is still a very poor country. It is very hard to tell whether North Korea is making a real or an empty threat as seen from the attack above which NK gave a usual threat to the South.
LxGoodies
My crystal ball analysis on the topic..

IMHO it's questionable whether Obama is prepared to jeopardize US relations with China (and Russia) by performing (any form of) preemptive strike directly against North Korea, even when North Korea would attack the south. Rather, America will send troops to protect certain parts of South Korea, e.g. the capital. And of course, NK would loose all sympathy in China when it would ignite the current situation by trespassing borders.. NK is unimportant: China would simply drop its small ally, evacuate diplomats and open its borders for Korean refugees. It would be the end for Kim. The US will insist upon "regime change" as a result of any aggression. Security counsel would go along with that.

Lx
ocalhoun
LxGoodies wrote:
America will send troops to protect certain parts of South Korea, e.g. the capital.

The capitol of S. Korea is in range of N. Korean artillery stationed in N. Korea.
Protecting Seoul would require an invasion of N. Korean territory.

...And since N. Korea (in my opinion) is extremely unlikely to leave US bases in S. Korea untouched, being uninvolved in such a war is impossible for the US.
(US military personnel under attack will retaliate (as they have been taught is their right to do so when under fire, no matter if they've been told to, or who's firing on them), and the rest of the world will take that to mean that the US has entered the war.)
RoylanM
I see as if Korea making / testing a weapon while making threats against the US then it's going to be like that movie Red Dawn except it's going to be vice verse. Korea's actions have consequences and I hope the US drops a huge bomb on them if they dare hit the US.
codegeek
It would definitely trigger the third world war. The whole world, and North Korea in particular, would suffer heavily. There is nothing to be gained from this war.
deanhills
I'd have thought a greater possibility would be Middle East. Particularly with Iran at the center of it. Not Asia. But I guess everything is possible.
Pippo90
IMHO, it would be better something more focused than a real war in this situation. I mean: basically, the main problem is the Nord Korean nomenklatura, right? Then, why don't they try to just "eliminate" them with an undercover operation? Obviously, this is just my speculation.
Aredon
codegeek wrote:
It would definitely trigger the third world war. The whole world, and North Korea in particular, would suffer heavily. There is nothing to be gained from this war.
I really don't see any evidence to support the idea of world war 3. North Korea is almost completely isolated on this. Even China is losing patience with them. The whole idea of a world war implies that they have powerful allies that would back them up, and I really doubt any of the current superpowers are interested in going to war with each other. (We all have a pretty good trade relationship right now)
johans
based on my idea i guess north korea is just for propaganda since they have new leader but when it comes to war they dont have these tactical knowledge compared with other rich countries such as Great Britain and USA.
spinout
GB and USA ? Japan and USA...
North korea in ecspecting an attack from Jap/US rigth now since the leader told the poeple so. That will not happen.
BUt north korea could stage a false attack upon themselfes - and say it did come from a close country and therefor do a quick defensive move and the war is on!
Iceaxe0410
There are a lot of factors that are mixed into this whole situation from what I can see. The main factors I see is that Kim Jong-Un wants to establish his regime as leader with his people. The obvious way to do that is show off force or military might. To show his people that he's not afraid to make threats against other countries. You also have the sanctions placed on North Korea which basically amounts to war. Economically, they have been in turmoil for quite some time. The only country that really is keeping North Korea afloat is China. They have an interest in North Korea since it serves as a buffer zone between South Korea and the mainland. While that may not seem like much, it's no secret that the United States has good relations with South Korea and would likely build military bases in North Korea should South Korea absorb it. I don't think China would like that very much.

Then you have the show of force by the United States by bringing in stealth bombers to do drills with South Korea. I'm not sure what the hidden agenda the U.S. government has in all of this. It might just be to continue support for the military industrial complex. Create and/or continue wars to keep it going.

I can't really tell if it's a lot of hot air or he's quite serious. No one really knows how far he really would go since he's a relatively new leader with little experience. He may be just pushing the boundaries to see how far he can go. Then again, he may just be crazy enough to sacrifice his entire regime and people just for glory or make his mark in the history books.

Then you have China. Who knows if they are pushing North Korea to do this. China probably has a hidden agenda just as most influential countries have. They already have the U.S. in a bad position economically. Just think if they decided to place an embargo on Chinese imports to the United States. That would cripple the U.S. economy overnight. It also would probably eliminate the U.S. as the world currency to be replaced by the yuan.

Old wars were fought with military might, but that might very well be changing. Military might doesn't really count for much anymore if one thinks about mutual assured destruction at least between countries with nuclear capabilities. We can wipe them out and they can wipe us out. It's a stalemate in that way. I doubt any country wants that. In which case, the wars now are being fought through economics. The U.S. seems to be dwindling in that area considering that we have slowly migrated to increasing imports and decreasing exports.

In any case, I don't like the direction all of this is heading. Too many things that could go wrong.
deanhills
Iceaxe0410 wrote:
In any case, I don't like the direction all of this is heading. Too many things that could go wrong.
Agreed. Particularly in the hands of people who don't know how to use lethal equipment and seem to get missiles to fire into different directions than intended. It would definitely worry me a great deal.
kaysch
deanhills wrote:
Iceaxe0410 wrote:
Agreed. Particularly in the hands of people who don't know how to use lethal equipment and seem to get missiles to fire into different directions than intended. It would definitely worry me a great deal.

I'm pretty sure nothing serious will happen. The Kims are up for international recognition and for a good negotiation position, but they are not stupid. Maybe they will show some strength by launching a missile, but that's it. I don't think anything serious will happen. And I also expect Kaeson to be opened again in some weeks. It's in nobody's interest that this special econonomic zone is closed. Not for the South Koreans as they get cheap labout nor for the North Koreans as it is one way to get foreign exchange.
deanhills
kaysch wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Iceaxe0410 wrote:

I'm pretty sure nothing serious will happen. The Kims are up for international recognition and for a good negotiation position, but they are not stupid. Maybe they will show some strength by launching a missile, but that's it. I don't think anything serious will happen. And I also expect Kaeson to be opened again in some weeks. It's in nobody's interest that this special econonomic zone is closed. Not for the South Koreans as they get cheap labout nor for the North Koreans as it is one way to get foreign exchange.
Right. But how does one launch a counter offensive in the event of a rogue missile, when a rogue missile is a distinct possibility and no one knows where it will land? The missile could easily go in the direction of South Korea, and that by default could create a war situation.
kaysch
deanhills wrote:
Right. But how does one launch a counter offensive in the event of a rogue missile, when a rogue missile is a distinct possibility and no one knows where it will land? The missile could easily go in the direction of South Korea, and that by default could create a war situation.

Correct. That is a possibility. Let's just hope it won't happen.
airh3ad
North korea cool down, no worries no war In spite of tensions on the Korean peninsula, there appeared to be calm in Pyongyang with people marking the day in a traditional manner as i remember. just for info Foreign governments have been trying to assess how seriously to take North Korea's recent torrent of rhetoric warning of war if the U.S. and South Korea do not stop holding joint military manoeuvres just across the border.
duytam28
Unless the U.S wants to have war with China for a 2nd times, it should stay away from N.K.
Anyway, N.K is a impoverished country now, it's more a threat to itself other than the U.S and her allies.
deanhills
duytam28 wrote:
Unless the U.S wants to have war with China for a 2nd times, it should stay away from N.K.
Anyway, N.K is a impoverished country now, it's more a threat to itself other than the U.S and her allies.
I'm sure if you did some research that plenty of big wars were started by incidents that were created by impoverished countries. If a country is impoverished it may be easy for one of the big countries to control it and to use it to trigger an event that may lead to a world war.
ocalhoun
duytam28 wrote:

China doesn't care enough about N. Korea to go to (an extremely costly) war for their sake.

If war between N. Korea and the US did break out, I'd suspect more along the lines of China invading Taiwan while the US is distracted. China does want Taiwan quite badly.
Insanity
I agree, I don't think that there will be a war between China and the U.S. because they are too dependent on each other for things like trade and whatnot. So much of our manufacturing comes from China, and so much income for China comes from the U.S. China also has a ton of low priced labor that we need, so yeah, if we go to war with Korea then I doubt China will do much.
Iceaxe0410
I don't know. China has a much different culture and the way they think isn't necessarily the same as what everyone else thinks. I do agree that China isn't looking to start a military war against anyone especially if nuclear weapons is a possibility. They're too smart for that. No, I think they look for other ways to accomplish their goals. One way is economically. It is true that they manufacture a lot of the world's items, but that can also be an advantage for them. Just think what would happen if they decided to place an embargo on U.S. exports. It would crush the U.S. economy overnight. Not only that, they could take over the world economy. Replace the U.S. dollar as the world reserve currency. They already have measures in place to do that. They put themselves in a very good position for that and possibly are looking for just the right moment to strike. Considering their type of government they could just absorb all the businesses that supply outside countries with goods. They have a lot more control over their businesses unlike the U.S.

Contrast that with the U.S. where, the businesses would just close down and the community around it would fall into poverty unless if the government steps in with aid. The government can't keep bailing out industries. It's already deep in debt and exponentially rising. Pretty soon, we'll be so far in debt that starting a military war might be the only way out of it.
deanhills
Iceaxe0410 wrote:
Contrast that with the U.S. where, the businesses would just close down and the community around it would fall into poverty unless if the government steps in with aid. The government can't keep bailing out industries. It's already deep in debt and exponentially rising. Pretty soon, we'll be so far in debt that starting a military war might be the only way out of it.
I'd say the greater the debt, and the greater share in that debt (by China), the more beholden China has become to the US. It is a large stakeholder, so it would be in its interest that the US does well economically.
Iceaxe0410
I think it's the reverse. The U.S. has slowly become more dependent on China and other countries. The more debt the U.S. gets in and the more China and others buy up, they have more control over the U.S. They are slowly taking over the U.S. economy from behind the scenes. At what point do they own the country? War changes things. Whoever wins gets to dictate the conditions of surrender and that could include erasing all debts. I think what I'm saying is that war is never an impossibility. All it takes is changes in the political and economic climate which is happening all the time. Unfortunately, war isn't always the last resort. One way to look at it is that we're being attacked and manipulated under the radar and we don't even realize it. Once we do, do you think we'll just pay off the debt? I don't even know if that's even possible unless if we start doing things like selling off chunks of land. Let's say I would not be surprised if Alaska got sold away to China one of these days. No offense to Alaska, but it's one the few states not directly attached to the mainland. I would imagine it would be the first especially because of it's resources in oil.
Ircher
I believe North Korea will be the Next WWII Japan; threy really are pushing the limit. I mean, they have the right (but not so bright) ability to fire at South Korea or the US.
jajarvin
There have always been wars and there always will be wars.
jajathanja
Despite all what they say.... i wouldn't mess with the North Koreans
theShadow
These communists haven't attained anything in the past half a century besides a powerful military status. Hence, that's all they can show off! Still if it came down to a war, I think the US would definitely kick their asses! South Korea would suffer a little though!
zimmer
RoylanM wrote:

First be specific on the Korea? you probably talking about the communist North Korea right? South Korea is been ailed with United States for many decades.

North and South are totally different country for how many decades of generation.

Well, I think there is no match for North Korea against USA or against there neighbor South Korea. Its just a propaganda since there is a son new leader.

My idea is he wants to recognized to the world that he is the son and a new leader. This is the kind of propaganda he wants to show the world of recognition since there country is not part of recognition in the world.
RoylanM
Now the US has successfully laughed at the threats, but I still can't get over that movie Red Dawn. That movie was really bogus and crappy.