FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sleep should be a major consideration but it's not why?

chasbeen
Like food I think sleep should be a major consideration.
In my job I deliberately leave the easy jobs for my tired days and I leave the hard jobs for when I get 6 or more hours sleep.
I wonder if this will be a consideration for working environments of tomorrow.
I think there should be a new group of "sleep therapy professionals" and flexible work considerations which ensure you get enough sleep so that you can perform at your highest level?

What do you think?
Pande
I think that already is in place. I was able to declare tiredness or fatigue as a reason to not do something at my place of work if I felt in danger (heavy lifting, acids, and flames were involved).

They could not force me to do something if I told them I had my sleep disrupted. Of course, if it became a regular problem and it was evident that I wasn't being responsible about sleep, that would certainly cause problems.

It's really up to the employee to get the sleep their body needs.
deanhills
Absolutely. One of my greatest problems, however here's the thing. I sometimes do better at projects when I'm supposed to be sleeping, but awake and into the burst of energy stage, just past the point of exhaustion. All the inhibitions seem to recede into the background and my creative energy seems to be heightened too. This doesn't always happen, but often enough. I remember as a student too that I did some of my best assignments at odd hours of the night, together with some nice music. Probably one of the reasons I don't go for regular sleep, even though I know how healthy it's supposed to be for me.
standready
Sleep? What is that? Plenty of time for it when I'm dead.
chasbeen
Sr When I was a younger man I used to get by with 6 nights a week
However when I went more than 2 days I started hallucinating
I think scientists call it dreaming while your awake!
wellerchap
I've always been a night-owl, and enjoy screwing the last bit of life out of every day - I fins sleep something that robs me of a third of my life, and tend to resent it for getting in the way of me doing stuff I'd rather be doing.
As I get older though (I'm 46 now) I find I can get by with 5 or 6 hours regularly per night, though I do put off a lot of the more niggly tasks until I feel more energised.
I see it as a necessary evil. Sad
Radar
I think the lack of sleep is really just a symptom of our priorities and inability to discern how to take care of ourselves. The overabundance of stress in life, and so on.

Getting more sleep, indeed a healthy amount of sleep on a regular basis, would be much much better, but I think there are days when it's hard to do that and still feel accomplished.
grofet
You have to work for life
Not life to work
Just create or find a good job and then enjoy your normal sleep at best quality.
likeabreeze
Things to do today:
1. Get up.
2. Survive.
3. Go to bed.
You see, in order to survive, you guys have got to have a good sleep.
chasbeen
Yes I went to a conference once about sleeping. It was so boring I fell asleep?
1 Actually at the conference the presenter said "you cannot bank it"
Which everyone knows but it is a grat shame
2 When we get bored we drift into sleep.
Maybe we can utilize this to increase our sleep?
evilryu530
sleep helps the brain recover. helps keep your memory strong. sleep helps you stay younger as well.

Quote:
1. Sleep Keeps Your Heart Healthy
Heart attacks and strokes are more common during the early morning hours. This fact may be explained by the way sleep interacts with the blood vessels. Lack of sleep has been associated with worsening of blood pressure and cholesterol, all risk factors for heart disease and stroke. Your heart will be healthier if you get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep each night.
jajarvin
Sleep well -> you are living well.
bukaida
Sleep is essential for consistent performance. The body and brain need rest to repair the everyday damage ( Even machines need rest). It is now a proven fact and any doctor will confirm that. So,

Eat well
Sleep Well
Work Hard.
lkglacier
Of course, most of us know the psychology behind sleep and how it works and whatnot. But the real question is.. why were we designed to depend on it? It makes a person wonder if sleep was implemented as a means of making us dependent. Same with oxygen, food and water, etc. There must be a reason we have all these things weighing us down, preventing us from being infallible. Well, I dunno. I just think about the reasoning behind why life is the way it is.
deanhills
lkglacier wrote:
Of course, most of us know the psychology behind sleep and how it works and whatnot. But the real question is.. why were we designed to depend on it? It makes a person wonder if sleep was implemented as a means of making us dependent. Same with oxygen, food and water, etc. There must be a reason we have all these things weighing us down, preventing us from being infallible. Well, I dunno. I just think about the reasoning behind why life is the way it is.
Totally agreed. Going into reasons for me is evidence of how our thinking is on a different plane than our physical bodies, which ain't designed for permanence, are super vulnerable and destined for expiry after a number of decades. Almost like someone is playing a joke on us. There are so many opposites for example. Sleep and awake, happy and sad, alive and dead. There has to be some truth in there that we are missing because we seem to be focused on either the one or the other running away mostly from the negative portion of it. For me I hate the idea of sleeping and wasting valuable time that I'd rather want to spend on something else. I also don't like being sad, I'd prefer to laugh all of the time, but laughter is on the other side of tears.
ratanegra
Peharps it is because we do it privately and it is so obvious. It's not like eating, since we eat with everyone and it is a social activity. Or perhaps like playing or talking or going to the bathroom. Everybody sees you going to the bathroom, and it is something that we need to do many times a day. But sleeping is for when we get home after work and rest for long hours. Everybody knows you sleep, but no one sees you do it. It's the same with starving kids in Africa. Everybody knows they're there dying, they all care, but no one does anything because they're so far and no one can see them.
amagard
Sleep might actually help to loose weight: "Make a Sleep Plan to Help You Lose Weight".