FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is it safe to fake Whois info using this method?

twotrophy
Since Frihost does not offer free domains with privacy protection, I will be faking my Whois information by copying the Whois information of a privacy protection service. I would avoid copying the Whois information of DomainsbyProxy as it is affiliated with GoDaddy as Frihost gives out coupons from GoDaddy so it would be easier to get caught. Instead, I would be copying the Whois information of another privacy protection service. How safe is this method and what are the chances of getting my domain name suspended?
badai
nobody cares about it. the only way your domain will be suspended is if you don't pay, or it get seized by the government, usually for piracy. you can even host things related to terrorism. chances are, if bombing your country will not make any profit, nobody will care.

but do not put the fake or wrong e-mail address. just use free e-mail that nobody will ever guess it's you like i.am.not.related.to.twotrophy@gmail.com. otherwise, you might have problem configuring or changing your domain's properties like its dns or to change to other registrar.

if it's use for personal stuff, it's really, really good idea not to use your real name, address and phone. we don't know what kind of weirdo is out there.
twotrophy
badai wrote:
nobody cares about it. the only way your domain will be suspended is if you don't pay, or it get seized by the government, usually for piracy. you can even host things related to terrorism. chances are, if bombing your country will not make any profit, nobody will care.

but do not put the fake or wrong e-mail address. just use free e-mail that nobody will ever guess it's you like i.am.not.related.to.twotrophy@gmail.com. otherwise, you might have problem configuring or changing your domain's properties like its dns or to change to other registrar.

if it's use for personal stuff, it's really, really good idea not to use your real name, address and phone. we don't know what kind of weirdo is out there.

I agree with you. Using real information on a domain without privacy protection is dangerous except for a real e-mail address. First name and last name is only safe to share on sites like Google and Facebook and not to
the public. Since the domain request form is open-ended, it is possible to negotiate for privacy protection but for a higher price.
RosenCruz
As long as your web site is not world famous, making lots of money and taking attention you can use fake info. But if you get popular, I recommend using real info or real privacy protection services Wink
twotrophy
RosenCruz wrote:
As long as your web site is not world famous, making lots of money and taking attention you can use fake info. But if you get popular, I recommend using real info or real privacy protection services Wink

Thank you for your reply. I guess that ICANN is problematic in requiring your personal information. It may be because to prevent abuse of domains by doing illegal activities using the domains. What about Frihost creating an alternative DNS root using alternative nameservers?
badai
debrathorton wrote:
Fake whois information drives me crazy, and anything to discourage it is generally a good thing. And that includes affiliate sites and automated link building schemes. Transparency is the best disinfectant.

I would revert back to their old billing system where registrants were informed by snail mail that a domain was going to expire. They still send out these notices but what has changed is the on-line billing. It would be simple to add a PIN number to the snail mail in order to renew. That way you know you have an address that ties in with the registrant.

newbie who chasing points by digging up old topic also drive me crazy. did you even read the rules?
dude_xyx
Yeah unless someone complain about it nobody would bother to check Whois info. There are several reasons why would someone complain.

1) to get rid of compitition.

2) if the person wants the domain (if its a ccTLD domain used by outsider)

3) Pissed off by spam

4) Pissed by a deal went bad.

So it's better use real if in most of the cases. Unless it has to be done for some reason.