FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Have you done a good deed today?

jajarvin
I was wondering why I have not done any good deed today.
Will I live really so self-centered life, so that I do not have time to help those around you?

Has anyone done a good deed today?
playfungames
Well not today. All I did today was eat and my friend covered the bill. So no good deeds on my side. May be for her.
TheGremlyn
I think I've done a few good deeds today. In the name of customer service! I did some bizarre trick to transfer the funds of one printer account to another because they were in a group projects and they just needed a few more dollars. It's not something we offer and I said we don't do it but it was a 'dire' situation so... I made them happy and worked my magic.
Peterssidan
Today I went to the police station with a bicycle I found, but to be honest, I did it mostly because I want the bike. If the owner has not turned up within 3 month I can have it.
watersoul
Peterssidan wrote:
Today I went to the police station with a bicycle I found, but to be honest, I did it mostly because I want the bike. If the owner has not turned up within 3 month I can have it.

That made me laugh as we have similar laws in the UK and I did the same when I was kid, got a lovely bike out of it.
bukaida
Nothing to be mentioned till now. But the entire day is laying ahead. Let me see.
watersoul
I stood in the road today and forced the inconsiderate selfish traffic to stop and let a blind woman cross the road. I was wearing my high viz jacket after work anyway so they couldn't fail to notice me, but almost dared them to run me over, staring angrily at the drivers who obviously ignored this lady waiting at the kerb.

She had a guide dog in a harness with a high visibility doggy-coat and she was wearing dark glasses on a cloudy day, obviously blind, and I noticed her on the other side of the road when I went into a shop. 5-10 minutes later when I came out she was still there and I was actually angry that no-one else had assisted her. Lovely old lady, I felt so sorry for her and a little ashamed to be part of a community which so obviously didn't seem to care today.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
I stood in the road today and forced the inconsiderate selfish traffic to stop and let a blind woman cross the road. I was wearing my high viz jacket after work anyway so they couldn't fail to notice me, but almost dared them to run me over, staring angrily at the drivers who obviously ignored this lady waiting at the kerb.

She had a guide dog in a harness with a high visibility doggy-coat and she was wearing dark glasses on a cloudy day, obviously blind, and I noticed her on the other side of the road when I went into a shop. 5-10 minutes later when I came out she was still there and I was actually angry that no-one else had assisted her. Lovely old lady, I felt so sorry for her and a little ashamed to be part of a community which so obviously didn't seem to care today.
Well done Watersoul! Now this is a story that really appeals to me. I would have felt ashamed and outraged too. At the same time, completely impressed when someone actually takes notice, i.e. a motorist stops or someone like you do something about it. Cool
bukaida
watersoul wrote:

Very well done. This is the kind of job that makes us human. The people today hardly look beyond self and family, the scenario is same everywhere in the world.
watersoul
bukaida wrote:
watersoul wrote:
The people today hardly look beyond self and family, the scenario is same everywhere in the world.

Sadly it is all too common.
On my way home today I saw some people looking at a smartly dressed drunk old guy in a side alley while another man was checking his pockets. It looked like he was about to be robbed so I approached and asked the drunk guy if he was ok. The suspected thief ran off and I helped the drunk onto a bench in the busier main street where the CCTV could see him.
Again, I was disappointed that no-one else was prepared to assist a fellow human being even by shouting, just simply watch with supposedly concerned looks on their faces.
bukaida
Everyone is waiting for the other to do the job. So the job hardly get done.

Anyway, yesterday during my return to home from my work place, I boarded on the crowded train. As I am a daily commuter ( we call us as daily passenger or DP in short), I could manage a seat. However, in the next station , a lady boarded on the train with a 6-7 month child in her arm. She was desperately looking for a place to sit as the baby was crying due to heavy crowd and hot weather. I was astonished to hear that a young person takes over an empty seat by almost dashing her aside. Other people nearby, instead of blaming the young person, started blaming the lady--why she has boarded in a crowded train with the child, why doesn't she moving to the ladies compartment etc etc. I was sitting three rows behind and stood up to see what happened. Observing the situation in details and the series of free lectures (lecturers were sitting on their seats) , I felt angry , disgusted and ashamed and called her to sit on my place. I kept on standing, then one of my co-passengers called me after few stations and gave me his seat ( Perhaps he also felt ashamed, but hesitated to make the first move).
RoylanM
One good deed I've done today was help my neighbor who's 73 get all his groceries inside his home. I was really proud of myself that I'd done something good to make someones like a hack of a lot easier.
standready
watersoul wrote:

Well done, watersoul!
My deed was to take a shopping cart back into the store for a lady.
watersoul
standready wrote:
My deed was to take a shopping cart back into the store for a lady.
Ah it's all these little things we do that make a community lovely. If we all try to do them with strangers then we all learn from (and care for) each other Smile
Pippo90
I have just woken up, but I will try something. Smile
raaeft1
My family and I did a good deed.We gave a small gift to my daughter's friend who is struggling financially. He is launching his own engineering institute. We put a Rs.1,000 note in a red envelope and gave it to him.
standready
I went over to an elderly lady's house and checked her car out. Needed new battery so I replaced it.
ratanegra
I have helped my dad a bit today with his new project on the roof of my house. Does that count? He's building a barrier so that people do not fall down so easily (no one has fallen yet, but my grandmother is getting old, so it could be risky now that she's starting to lose the abilities she used to have.
nickfyoung
watersoul wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

That made me laugh as we have similar laws in the UK and I did the same when I was kid, got a lovely bike out of it.

I went to a friends place one day and her youngster had a bike all stripped down and was painting it. She said, 'look at the nice bike my son found'. She was very naive I think. I didn't have the heart to tell her when her son said he found it he probably meant stole it. It was new and didn't need a coat of paint.
watersoul
nickfyoung wrote:
watersoul wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

I went to a friends place one day and her youngster had a bike all stripped down and was painting it. She said, 'look at the nice bike my son found'. She was very naive I think. I didn't have the heart to tell her when her son said he found it he probably meant stole it. It was new and didn't need a coat of paint.

I would have raised my concerns to my friend if I'd thought that, or suggested finding the owner by contacting the police, asking in the area, local newspaper, whatever. That would've been my good deed for that day.

'Didn't have the heart' to raise possible issues of crimes by a friends child is not helping your friend, or the child, especially if it as obvious as your story.

*Edit*
Back on topic, I've not carried out any particularly 'good' deeds today but I've been the grateful recipient of some.
nickfyoung
watersoul wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:
watersoul wrote:
Peterssidan wrote:

I would have raised my concerns to my friend if I'd thought that, or suggested finding the owner by contacting the police, asking in the area, local newspaper, whatever. That would've been my good deed for that day.

'Didn't have the heart' to raise possible issues of crimes by a friends child is not helping your friend, or the child, especially if it as obvious as your story.

You are absolutely right there. Guess I was too much of a chicken at the time. Some times you do stuff or not do stuff and there is just no excuse.
Cosmoslayer
I found a pair of sunglasses and returned it to its owner. I'm proud of myself! Very Happy
inoshi
jajarvin wrote:
Will I live really so self-centered life, so that I do not have time to help those around you?

Does not doing a bad deed count as a good deed?
deanhills
inoshi wrote:
jajarvin wrote:

Does not doing a bad deed count as a good deed?
Laughing I like it. We'd also have to define what "not a bad deed" is as well. Some times doing nothing by virtue of "not wanting to do a bad deed" can be bad. Twisted Evil
_AVG_
I don't know there's something about good deeds which makes you feel nice ... virtue is its own reward.
I hope I do some good everyday Smile
inoshi
_AVG_ wrote:
I don't know there's something about good deeds which makes you feel nice ... virtue is its own reward.

If I feel nice about not doing a bad deed, then might I personally be generating a similar emotional content?
_AVG_
inoshi wrote:
_AVG_ wrote:

If I feel nice about not doing a bad deed, than might I personally be generating a similar emotional content?

Yeah I suppose ... look at the bright side of things. The main thing is to be happy from within I guess
inoshi
deanhills wrote:
Laughing I like it. We'd also have to define what "not a bad deed" is as well. Some times doing nothing by virtue of "not wanting to do a bad deed" can be bad. Twisted Evil

Yeah, I guess so, just adding my special input here. Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap! Let me charge you for that good deed, er, ok?! Don't even think about it!!! All deeds for sale: home deeds, creeds, seeds and problematical leads.

Surprised

Inoshi
TVme
Today a homeless bum saw me smoking and asked to give him a cigarette.

What I did do:
I gave him a cigarette.

What I did NOT do:
Say "Listen Buddy, If I go into a store where they don't know me, I'll pay over $6.00 a pack for cigarettes. If I make $8.00 an hour, do you know how long I have to work to pay for one pack? You clearly have no pride. You are able bodied and choose not to work. people like you are a drain on the economy. You don't deserve the luxury of smoking because you obviously can't afford it."

So I did a good deed and did not hurt someone's feelings. (double points)

By the way I can be charitable, I donate cash regularly to the Salvation Army.
deanhills
TVme wrote:

What I did do:
I gave him a cigarette.
I like this one. Cool

Reminds me of the good deeds of some of the coffee shops in the West End of Vancouver. Although I'm not sure their motives are always charity. More like trying to get rid of the homeless bum because of his/her "hygiene" aroma in the coffee shop. But still, a paper cup of coffee and a muffin must be the equivalent of that cigarette. Sort of things in life that really does something for a person.
nickfyoung
TVme wrote:

What I did do:
I gave him a cigarette.

What I did NOT do:
Say "Listen Buddy, If I go into a store where they don't know me, I'll pay over $6.00 a pack for cigarettes. If I make $8.00 an hour, do you know how long I have to work to pay for one pack? You clearly have no pride. You are able bodied and choose not to work. people like you are a drain on the economy. You don't deserve the luxury of smoking because you obviously can't afford it."

So I did a good deed and did not hurt someone's feelings. (double points)

By the way I can be charitable, I donate cash regularly to the Salvation Army.

Had a mate that did that to an aboriginal who asked him for a smoke. He told him to go and get a job and buy his own so he was called white scum.
inoshi
_AVG_ wrote:
Yeah I suppose ... look at the bright side of things. The main thing is to be happy from within I guess

For sure. Sometimes doing a good deed can make us feel good ourselves, but doing good deeds for the sake of endorsing our own ego and emotional need, that is like being a blind guide, or running with the lemmings.

Inoshi