FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anti Aliasing, What is it?

friscofrankie
I've got an image for my title Thatsmeone mentioned I had no anit aliasing applied to the fonts in it. What is he talkng about and how to apply this technology. being a back end engineer I have bee able to doge learning a lot of advanced graphics stuff. until now that is. Any recources on the net I can check out?
S3nd K3ys
Quote:
Anti Aliasing, What is it?

The process of removing or reducing the jagged distortions in curves and diagonal lines so that the lines appear smooth or smoother.

Search google for how to work with it on your application.
ml
here are some good examples:

david150
Good explanation, thanx!
Tom7
nice explanation, i didn't know what it mean't either.
m_furquan36
Hey really helpful thnkx!! Laughing even though i knew it as something else!!!
Rafe
Just to clarify, it is a graphics term which applies to text generally but can be for any vector graphics. It basically slightly shifts pixels so that they are slightly blurry, sharp, etc. Photoshop provides a good way to create this effect. Smile
friscofrankie
Great Explainations. Thanks. Seems I asked the question and went on to try and find an answer elsewhere. So now I understand what it is how do I apply it?
Thing is I'm Using The Gimp and I am finding it difficult to apply anti aliasing to sme fo my graphics. Using the magic wand tool I can select the text in a graphic and there is this check box fo anitaliasing But I see no apply button or an thng that tells me the edges ahve been "anitaliased" When I load the file in my page They really don;t appear much different.
So the real question is... How do I apply this technology to my files?
Rafe
friscofrankie wrote:
Great Explainations. Thanks. Seems I asked the question and went on to try and find an answer elsewhere. So now I understand what it is how do I apply it?
Thing is I'm Using The Gimp and I am finding it difficult to apply anti aliasing to sme fo my graphics. Using the magic wand tool I can select the text in a graphic and there is this check box fo anitaliasing But I see no apply button or an thng that tells me the edges ahve been "anitaliased" When I load the file in my page They really don;t appear much different.
So the real question is... How do I apply this technology to my files?

I think (correct me if wrong) that is one of the features Gimp doesn't include.
misterdimiz
Rafe wrote:

You're wrong. Gimp include this feature.
Try GIMP.
adlamb
Thats something ive always wondered about but never actually researched. I really should have done! It will completely change the way I use photoshop!
Rafe
misterdimiz wrote:
Rafe wrote:

You're wrong. Gimp include this feature.
Try GIMP.

Any idea where he can access this feature?
BTW Photoshop is way better then Gimp in general. Razz
foggy
Rafe wrote:
BTW Photoshop is way better then Gimp in general. Razz
That may or may not be true, I know people that swear by GIMP, even ones that have the possibility to use photoshop.

Anyway, GIMP: $0 | Photoshop: c. $500

So, even if your argument is valid, photoshop is a bit out of the budget for those who like to aquire thier software legally.

Back on topic, though; have you tried searching google? I don't know how good they are, but I can see a few things that might be promising.
http://www.google.com/search?q=gimp+antialiasing or similar
randyttp
Quote:
Anyway, GIMP: $0 | Photoshop: c. $500

So, even if your argument is valid, photoshop is a bit out of the budget for those who like to aquire thier software legally.

hehe.. yeah I havent met a photoshop user yet that actually paid for it... but im not in the professional world.. so thats not saying much. I will check GIMP out. I'm using a diffrent free program PAINT.NET, maybe GIMP will be better.