FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Power cord jack loose

Tony The Tiger
The power cord jack has gotten loose on my laptop. Now it just slips off. I am not sure if the male part inside the power jack on my computer has gotten narrower, the female hole on the poser cord has gotten wider or it has gotten looser in some other way. However, invariably about once a day as I move around with the computer on my lap, it just slips off. This has never happened to any of my power cords before.
SonLight
Interesting issue. It could have been bumped and lost its shape somehow, or it could have worn down a bit, although I've never seen or heard of such a thing happening. It also might be that the friction is reduced, i.e. the surfaces have become more slippery. A touch of oil or certain types of powder could do that. I'm not sure how best to clean it off if that is the case, although you could surely try to. Probably using alcohol followed by ether as the chemists do would work, but I doubt if you will find it easy to get ether.

If you want to, you can post the model of your laptop, and perhaps even find a picture that matches your connector so that someone else can see the construction details.
Bluedoll
It is actually more common than you may think. It all comes down to cheap connectors. They make these things cheap and expect them to last? What is annoying is the fact that the rest of the computer might be excellent. I don't think power outages are good for any computer. The fix is not so easy.
Tony The Tiger
SonLight wrote:
Interesting issue. . .If you want to, you can post the model of your laptop, and perhaps even find a picture that matches your connector so that someone else can see the construction details.

I use a 2010 Hewlett-Packard DV7 with Windows 7. I do not know how to find a picture that would enable you to see the construction details of my connector. I am going to conduct an experiment to determine whether it is the computer jack that is out of shape or the cord adaptor that is out of shape. I am going to start using my backup cord and see if it comes loose or not. I don't like my backup as much because it has a much larger "converter box thingy".
Tony The Tiger
Bluedoll wrote:
It is actually more common than you may think. It all comes down to cheap connectors. They make these things cheap and expect them to last? What is annoying is the fact that the rest of the computer might be excellent. I don't think power outages are good for any computer. The fix is not so easy.

I use to have a lot of problems with power cords needing to be replaced on my old 2003 Dell Inspiron 8200, which is one of my two backup laptops. My HP was fine until last fall. Then all of a sudden it just started coming loose when it felt like it.