FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Kinda late but: US Military funded child prostitution in ME?

JoryRFerrell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6VjmRgywU4

Hmm....why wasn't this covered more thoroughly by media? I never heard shit about it.... Confused

http://www.uslaboragainstwar.org/article.php?id=23372
handfleisch
Actually, I remember it from the time there were so many scandals, so many tragedies, so many horror stories coming from the war on Iraq that I think that most people just forgot about this one.

Did you know that the US military creates a boom in prostitution and sex trafficking everywhere it goes? The word "hooker" comes from the name of a US Army general. The US has been known for creating entire prostitution sub-economies in places where it puts its bases. Thailand, Philipines, Korea.... Militarism is evil

Links to get you started below.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/vuic-prostitution-and-the-u-s-military/article_1bd36741-1244-5aaa-9d2d-ff71c9ec0d40.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patpong

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_world_history/v010/10.2shaffer.html

www.japanfocus.org/-Katharine_H_S_-Moon/3019

gradworks.umi.com/15/30/1530232.html
SonLight
I have to agree with you, handfleisch, that militarism is a dirty business in many ways. When a military organization sets up shop, they of course know that prostitution will greatly increase in the area regardless of how they respond to the problem. If they do nothing, they will put their soldiers at risk for disease, theft, and other issues. Whether they encourage certain local organizations to improve hygiene standards or become active participants in the trade, they will have dirty hands and plenty of opportunity for corruption within their own organization.

While the military will doubtless take whatever action they feel warranted to protect the troops, they may or may not consider the welfare of the women in the trade, depending on their moral values. They have already stepped so far over the line of behavior generally considered ethical that it is questionable if the affected women's interests will get much of a hearing.
deanhills
handfleisch wrote:
Did you know that the US military creates a boom in prostitution and sex trafficking everywhere it goes? The word "hooker" comes from the name of a US Army general. The US has been known for creating entire prostitution sub-economies in places where it puts its bases. Thailand, Philipines, Korea.... Militarism is evil
What a way to look at the military and it's a bit stereotyping though isn't it? There are members of the military who do not go for prostitution and sex trafficking as much as there are expats visiting countries abroad who do not go for prostitution. This kind of trafficking is also not limited to the military, but expats in general working or visiting abroad, including the military. There are poor female expats in the UAE for example, who engage in sex for money to supplement their income - it's illegal here of course, but there is a thriving invisible trade every where. These ladies usually focus on expats for obvious reasons. Not only expats living here, but expats who visit from abroad including the military. If there is a huge group of soldiers who happen to move into their area of business, then it's logical that business would increase. It's been this way from the beginning of time. How about when the Wild West was won and with every gold mining venture, there was always an increase in prostitution?
handfleisch
deanhills wrote:
What a way to look at the military and it's a bit stereotyping though isn't it? There are members of the military who do not go for prostitution and sex trafficking as much as there are expats visiting countries abroad who do not go for prostitution. This kind of trafficking is also not limited to the military, but expats in general working or visiting abroad, including the military.
I'm just showing historical fact about US military bases and prostitution and its tragic, ignored legacy. Of course that doesn't mean every soldier goes to prostitutes. But as US society becomes less male-chauvinist, and things like the Steubenville football players rape case cause a national discussion and change in the USA, I think the subject of prostitution-epidemics around military bases will become an issue.

On edit: The military has a long way to go, however:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/18/us/teenagers-found-guilty-in-rape-in-steubenville-ohio.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Quote:
Sexual Violence Victims Say Military Justice System Is 'Broken'

Myla Haider took a roundabout route to becoming an agent in the Army's Criminal Investigation Command, or CID. Wars kept interrupting her training.

Before she ever went to war, during CID training, Haider was raped. With some experience already with the military's attitude toward rape, she decided not to report the attack.

"I've never met one victim who was able to report the crime and still retain their military career," she says. "Not one."
deanhills
Again, you seem to be highlighting the military, whereas it is really a problem that is universal. You could easily take the military out. If an expat should be party to a rape in a foreign country, regardless of being of the military, he'd hesitate too with reporting it, particularly if it is against the law of that country.

There is a mixture of blame here. Availability of prostitutes, failure of the Government of the host country to check on the situation, and of course also failure of the visitors' country of origin - whether Government agencies or companies - to monitor it closely too. If there were no prostitutes around, or if prostitution is made into a VERY heavy penalty crime (like with drugs for example making it into a capital offense), I can't see how they would get involved in it. But it would probably be unrealistic for the host country to really do anything about it as it is of course scoring in other ways by having the military/other companies around. Unless its locals would complain heavily about prostitution, it may just look the other way.