FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How far can a school push for tution Fee

bukaida
Last week I have seen in news paper that in a college at Philippines, a girl has committed suicide because she could not pay the tution fee. How a teaching organization can push a student to such extent for money ?

Quote:
Students from the Polytechnic University of the Philippines on Monday sympathized with their counterparts from the University of the Philippines as they mourned the death of a UP-Manila student who took her life because she could not afford tuition.

The PUP students piled broken chairs and school facilities at the university's campus in Sta. Mesa, Manila, to protest high tuition rates, radio dzBB's Cecilia Villarosa reported.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/299883/news/metromanila/pup-students-sympathize-with-up-counterparts-over-tuition-related-suicide
SonLight
While sad, this the suicide was doubtless the result of the student's inability to face reality. There might have been too much pressure from peers, parents, or whatever. Clearly some students will always be unable to pay for a college education and should accept the reality of the situation and look for an alternative.

As to tuition prices too high, that is a really difficult issue. It is clearly in society's best interest that those who are able to benefit from a university education should be able to get one, regardless of financial circumstances. Universities cannot function unless they can pay a good salary to their professors and teachers, so the money has to come from somewhere. If students paid nothing, they would be likely to be less concerned about grades and get less from their education. Parents, philanthropists, and governments are the usual sources of funds. In the long run, a good university is likely to be financially "profitable" primarily because their graduates choose to give back to the school in endowments and scholarships.

In many places, college educations seem to be somewhat devalued because so many who are minimally qualified desire a degree, and there may be too much pressure to reduce standards.
bukaida
The university/institution should seek for alternative income. They can opt for IIPC( Industry-Institute partnership) to perform various projects related to Industry. Also there are some governmental projects through which additional grants can be obtained. However the faculty members of the institution should be capable of handling such projects. In India, premier institutions are now surviving like that only ( and thereby lowering the tuition fees). The seats may be distributed based on Merit and capitation fees(there by two slabs of fee structure). It is never acceptable that a meritorious student is denied education for the lack of money. Also there should be enough scholarship/sponsorships for the meritorious students by the government and various private organizations. If tuition fee becomes the only means of survival for an institution, it cannot run well in the long term.
freefri
sad for such cases but discussion in how to stop this is needed ??what u say?
picasaz
Sad but true. Most of the students just give up the education just because they can not afford to pay the expanses. Government should pay attention to this so that more students could be motivated for the education and could do well in this regard.
masterekat
Well, I know that this is another issue entirely, but in America, I wish they would raise tuition more. Schools in my area are always overcrowded with students who aren't really interested in working hard anyway. A lot of them drop out after the first few weeks. One who is truly gifted will always find a way to succeed, even if that means postponing university for a few years while he or she develops skills independently. It's the ones who have the attitude that education isn't valuable that we need to be weeding out.
Ankhanu
masterekat wrote:
Well, I know that this is another issue entirely, but in America, I wish they would raise tuition more. Schools in my area are always overcrowded with students who aren't really interested in working hard anyway. A lot of them drop out after the first few weeks. One who is truly gifted will always find a way to succeed, even if that means postponing university for a few years while he or she develops skills independently. It's the ones who have the attitude that education isn't valuable that we need to be weeding out.

What about a merit-based system of admission/enrollment rather than a monetary system??
In some other nations with socialized post-secondary education the state pays for university/college just like they do for grade schooling; students must maintain a certain grade average to maintain their status within the system; if they drop below they are no longer funded and must either pay their own way, or look into some other career/education path.

Pay walls are a problem in modern society, whether they prevent access to information or education, they're VERY real. Those without money are punished enough by society, we don't need to add extra impediments to their efforts to better themselves.
codegeek
I am not sure about this, but is university education free in any country? Merit-based scholarships do exist in my country. However, seats are limited, and it's pretty tough to get a seat in say, Engineering, or MBBS.
masterekat
Merit based scholarships exist here too. I had one my first year too, but keeping grades up in subjects I wasn't as good in was too stressful and I lost it. I almost decided to drop out entirely when that happened, but I chose to go back the week before summer break ended. Started taking loans out after that and improved considerably in my studies, since after that I was able to focus on actually learning the material and enjoying doing it, rather than only making good grades for the sake of not losing my scholarship.
12phabie
bukaida wrote:
The university/institution should seek for alternative income. They can opt for IIPC( Industry-Institute partnership) to perform various projects related to Industry. Also there are some governmental projects through which additional grants can be obtained. However the faculty members of the institution should be capable of handling such projects. In India, premier institutions are now surviving like that only ( and thereby lowering the tuition fees). The seats may be distributed based on Merit and capitation fees(there by two slabs of fee structure). It is never acceptable that a meritorious student is denied education for the lack of money. Also there should be enough scholarship/sponsorships for the meritorious students by the government and various private organizations. If tuition fee becomes the only means of survival for an institution, it cannot run well in the long term.

tuition has always been high no matter what decade we talking about. that's just reality. its getting harder and harder for students. sad but true but as far as killing yourself I think that should send a message to the government on other ways to help student through grants or work based scholarships.