FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Linux office network

biolu
Hello everybody,

After my whole network has been infected with an ARP virus, I am seriously considering formatting all the computers and install a new OS on them, and buying some new computers.
I have noticed that lot of computers you buy in China (where I am) comes with Linux distribution, and I was thinking about reinstalling Linux for all the older computer.
Here come my newbies questions:

-Does hybrid networks (Linux/Windows as some of the laptops run on WXP/W7) work? I don't want to end up with connexion problems between all the computer. Plus, one or two of the workstation still have to be Windows operated as some of our specialized softwares are only available for windows.
-Do you think people can get used to Linux? I had tried one a couple years earlier, and I needed quite a time to get used to it. Most of my colleagues are young people so they might adapt faster, but still it might be quite a change for them...

Anyway, I would be glad if anyone could share his/her experience with professionnal Linux network.

Thanks for your time!

LX
strdb
It all depends on what you will base your infrastructure on.

Active directory, Exchange - those don't exist in Linux world, yet so many companies don't want to go without them
biolu
Our network is quite simple, just an upgraded version of a home Lan I would say. That's why we don't really use advanced protocols.
So theoritically, if we just need a Lan to share internet and data, we could mix Linux and Windows systems?
rvec
strdb wrote:
It all depends on what you will base your infrastructure on.

Active directory, Exchange - those don't exist in Linux world, yet so many companies don't want to go without them

Active directory is almost the same as LDAP, which does run on linux.
http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/biztools/article.php/3932591/Top-5-Open-Source-Alternatives-to-Microsoft-Exchange.htm
Those are alternatives to Exchanges, of which most do run on linux.

I worked at a company where everyone was using Ubuntu (except for sales who needed Microsoft office, and the designers that needed Photoshop which hardly runs on Ubuntu). Most people had enough experience to work with ubuntu within a month.

If you really want to switch, I'd recommend looking into more advanced linux system administration, because it can make the job of the system administrator a lot easier. You can create your own installation, use LDAP for access control to centralized systems (file servers/intranet/...) and do a lot of things that would make setting up new employees (or getting rid of the credentials of the old ones) realy easy.
biolu
Thanks Rvec, I think we will have to hire a system administrator who will take care of our network full time...