FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PHP version 5.0

-TomJ-
Hi

I have recently taken up learning php, and to be completely up-to-date, I bought the PHP5 Complete Handbook.

I was glad I could create a php-enabled website here, on Frihost.
But I am somewhat disappointed - to put it mildly Sad - that you are still running PHP Version 4.3.11. At least, that is what phpInfo() reports on my first webpage attempt.

Arrow When do you intend to upgrade to version 5?
Version 5 has been available since July 2004, and the latest available version is 5.04 (since 31 Mar 2005), so I assume that any infant's disease has been tackled by now.
bladercity
DO YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT?
-TomJ-
bladercity wrote:
DO YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT?

Knowledge, knowledge, what is knowledge ...

I have read the book but I have never have found the time to actually try out any of the examples in the book. That is what I wanted to start doing now, here on Frihost ...[/b]
Bondings
Changing to PHP5 would break a lot of scripts like OSCommerce and Xoops and also cause some sql problems. It's just not worth it. Also, for a complete stable version, better wait another year.
-TomJ-
Sad

[Oops, I'm not supposed to reply with just a smiley]

I seem to get disappointed again and again: my new employer gives me a pc with Win2000, because it's too much trouble to upgrade. He doesn't realise that new versions may cost something to upgrade to and to get used to; but in the end the new features and advanced possibilities will increase productivity.
I learnt in the PHP5 book that that version too has many improvements compared to vs 4. But since this is a free service, I don't consider myself in the position to complain.

Thou shalt not look a gift horse in the mouth.
Bondings
-TomJ-, PHP5 is faster and much more OO. Using it next to php4 is possible, but very hard and causes a lot of problems, including performance.

I just don't want to 'break' a few hundred websites. Just imagine 150 new threads the next day in the support forum: 'my website doesn't work anymore'. Wink

Maybe next year on a new server. At least I we can dream about it ...
n0obie4life
Even mySQL 4.1 installation is hard enough.

I'm dreaming for it on the next server.
dan751
Bondings wrote:
-TomJ-, PHP5 is faster and much more OO. Using it next to php4 is possible, but very hard and causes a lot of problems, including performance.

If it's faster, but causes problems, then performance = speed, therefore, the speed speed would be about the same as the current version, perhaps slower, due to the problems. So, like Bondings said, -TomJ-, it's just not worth it.Wink
-TomJ-
n0obie4life wrote:
Even mySQL 4.1 installation is hard enough.

I'm dreaming for it on the next server.

Part of my learning php, was to configure my own machine. For that I used a combined installer which I found at Apachefriends.

This really is a great package: it contains a lot, it is free and it's so easy: download it, run the downloaded file and the entire system is correctly configured in one go:

• Apache,
  • MySQL 4.1.14,
  • PHP 5.0.5 + PEAR,
  • Perl 5.8.7,
  • mod_php,
  • mod_perl 2.0.1,
  • mod_ssl,
  • OpenSSL,
  • phpMyAdmin,
  • Webalizer,
  • Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v3.32,
  • JpGraph,
  • FileZilla FTP Server,
  • mcrypt,
  • eAccelerator,
  • SQLite,
  • and WEB-DAV + mod_auth_mysql.

At the moment there are four XAMPP versions:
  • a version for Linux systems (tested for Ubuntu, SuSE, RedHat, Mandrake and Debian),
  • a version for Windows 98, NT, 2000, 2003 and XP,
  • a beta version for Solaris SPARC (developed and tested under Solaris 8 ),
  • and a beta version for Mac OS X.

But I can imagine configuring a multihosting werver is a bit more tricky than just one offline machine.
n0obie4life
Look.

php 5.0 isn't supported by phpBB. If we install php 5.0, almost all our bulletin boards will crash.

mySQL 4.1, I have no idea why Bondings refuses to update it.
Devil
PHP5 is not stable yet , there are many bugs , thats the Reason all the Devs are keeping away from it for now ,

what u can do is install a server on ur own pc , search for it on

http://www.sourceforge.org Wink
willywonka
I don't really like 5... I have looked into it and I have decided to stay with the older version.
mathiaus
I think We've established we wont be upgrading to PHP 5 at the moment. Possibly when its it more stable and scripts have been updated to support it.
Untill then ...

-close-