FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Getty Images

Tony The Tiger
When a photograph is posted on flickr.com under a license "Some rights reserved" and the photo also has the following instruction: "Request to license John or Jane Doe's photos via Getty Images" does that mean the person works for getty images or has getty images as an agent or something? What exactly is the working relationhip between Getty and a photographer who licenses their photographic contributions to flicker in this manner?
standready
Don't know for sure. It could be Getty gets a percentage of any money collected.
fuzzkaizer
Does that maybe mean, that if the person (John or Jane Doe) who could claim some rights on these fotos is unknown, that is, uses a fake-account or something like that, Getty Images gets automatically the rights?
Tony The Tiger
fuzzkaizer wrote:
Does that maybe mean, that if the person (John or Jane Doe) who could claim some rights on these fotos is unknown, that is, uses a fake-account or something like that, Getty Images gets automatically the rights?

I do not believe that to be the case. The instances where I have seen this notice attached to a photo on flickr.com have all been cases where the photographer seems to be identified. In fact, often times they seem somewhat professional. I was wondering why a professional photographer would need any sort of intermediary such as Getty to peddle there pictures.
Tony The Tiger
standready wrote:
Don't know for sure. It could be Getty gets a percentage of any money collected.

I generally see this type of notice attached to photographs by flickr.com accounts that seem to be somewhat professional. Why would a professional photographer want to give a cut of their copyright royalties away?
fuzzkaizer
but what would that 'John or Jane Doe' mean? as far as I know it is a placeholder for the name of an unidentified person. this might be essential for the meaning of the whole stated declaration above.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Doe: ...The names "John Doe" for males, "Jane Doe" or "Jane Roe" for females, or just "Doe" non-gender-specifically are used as placeholder names for a party whose true identity is unknown or must be withheld in a legal action, case, or discussion...)
Tony The Tiger
fuzzkaizer wrote:
but what would that 'John or Jane Doe' mean? as far as I know it is a placeholder for the name of an unidentified person. this might be essential for the meaning of the whole stated declaration above.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Doe: ...The names "John Doe" for males, "Jane Doe" or "Jane Roe" for females, or just "Doe" non-gender-specifically are used as placeholder names for a party whose true identity is unknown or must be withheld in a legal action, case, or discussion...)

Above John or Jane Doe pretty clearly means the purported copyright holder, unless I am badly mistaken.
dude_xyx
I think Getty Images work as the agent or seller. Photographers can add photos to Gettyimages site in various sizes and others can buy from it. This way owner of the photos have let work to be done.