FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Are free .tk domains a scam?

twotrophy
Quote:
From:https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/do-not-register-for-a-free-domain-on-dot-tk.1969027/

Dot.tk is a giant parking page SCAM set up to lure you in by offering FREE domains only to bait and switch you once your website traffic starts rolling on in.

In my case, they stole several of my high traffic domains without any notice and parked them to earn money from the back link traffic. No notice was sent to me as to why, nor was I able to reclaim them by any means. My phone calls and faxes fell upon-deaf ears as well.

Webmasters beware! I confirmed this by setting up dummy domain and then blasting it with visitors. Once the count goes to be above 500 per day, the domain mysteriously disappeared from my account!

Another poor aspect of this company is that they do not respond to email contact...that is, if you can find any!
I will never recommend to anyone to use this TLD for registering any domain. You’re much better off with a .info compared to these crooks.

According to this site, Dot TK is a company that offers .tk domains at no costs. When your domain gets popular, they would take over your domain which would redirect users to another website full of advertisements which is better known as domain parking. When this happens, Dot TK which is the company is uncontactable. However, they seem to be able to be contacted at Twitter which can be found at https://twitter.com/dottk @dottk .

Is it really a scam or is it because of users not renewing their domain regularly. A possibility of not being able to contact Dot TK is because there are too many e-mails to handle. However, they seem to be able to handle support sent on Twitter easily because they appear to reply to many support requests within a short time. What do you all think about this? Is there anyone who has experience with such domains?
manfer
As far as I know it is not true. They don't do it for such a reason.

But yes if you break any of their TOS your registration can be removed.

You have to renew your free domain -again for free- before it expires (you can renew 2 weeks before it expires and you are notified by email about it).

When some of this things happens -your domain expires or you break TOS- yes they point the domain to an ad site.

They can be contacted in their support forum
https://getsatisfaction.com/dottk
or in twitter account
https://twitter.com/dottk @dottk

though I would say they are more active in their twitter account.
metalfreek
.tk domain provider themselves might not be a scam but people who use .tk domains are using it for spam and scams so the reputation of .tk is not that great.
twotrophy
Thank you all for your help. I guess that these people have forgotten to renew their domain names when it expires or when it is abused according to this post on this website:
Quote:

From:https://getsatisfaction.com/dottk/topics/waring_system_before_cancelled_domain
Hey guys,

We do warn people when their domain name is cancelled
because of abuse or when the domain is unused.

However, please make sure you always have the right
email address on file in our system so you are able to
receive the email (with the re-activation link).

Cheers,

Joost

Also, .tk domains are the only top-level domains which are provided for free and you do not have to give any personal information unlike all other domain names. However in this case, Dot TK still legally owns the domain unless you pay a small fee which is significantly cheaper than the fee to register. com domains to legally own it.

Update: I still doubt .tk domains. Look at this website:
From:https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/dot-tk-scam-me-again.2573013/
Quote:
Even if it is in their TOS, they are scamming people by doing so. They may be legally correct, but morally it is so wrong and unfair. If the only reason they have got to snatch your domain is that you have worked sufficiently hard on it already, then they should add this to their TOS, that every free domain which becomes popular will be seized. At least people will be aware before registering. It is a conspiracy. They just wait for a domain to get popular and seize it without notice. They should at least reply to email.

Website user: Psharma (Digitalpoint)

So I guess that there is a possibility for this service to be a "scam" but their TOS says that they have the right to cancel domains for no reason.
Peterssidan
Not sure to call it a scam or not but to be safe you should probably get a paid domain. Just like there are a lot of poor free web hosts, there are also a lot of poor free domain services. Changing the server isn't such a big deal, and the normal user will probably not notice the difference. A domain name is something you don't want to change because that will break old links so people will have hard a time finding your site.
twotrophy
Peterssidan wrote:
Not sure to call it a scam or not but to be safe you should probably get a paid domain. Just like there are a lot of poor free web hosts, there are also a lot of poor free domain services. Changing the server isn't such a big deal, and the normal user will probably not notice the difference. A domain name is something you don't want to change because that will break old links so people will have hard a time finding your site.

Thank you Peterssidan for your advice. This means that it is better to get a proper domain which can be obtained from Frihost. Frihost offers good hosting as it offers root access and it is one of the longest free hosts in the Internet. However, there is also a drawback with free domains offered by Frihost. Bondings can take months to respond to free domain requests. However, it is understandable that he is very busy. I guess that he is busier than most of us..
zimmer
twotrophy wrote:
Quote:
From:https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/do-not-register-for-a-free-domain-on-dot-tk.1969027/

Dot.tk is a giant parking page SCAM set up to lure you in by offering FREE domains only to bait and switch you once your website traffic starts rolling on in.

In my case, they stole several of my high traffic domains without any notice and parked them to earn money from the back link traffic. No notice was sent to me as to why, nor was I able to reclaim them by any means. My phone calls and faxes fell upon-deaf ears as well.

Webmasters beware! I confirmed this by setting up dummy domain and then blasting it with visitors. Once the count goes to be above 500 per day, the domain mysteriously disappeared from my account!

Another poor aspect of this company is that they do not respond to email contact...that is, if you can find any!
I will never recommend to anyone to use this TLD for registering any domain. You’re much better off with a .info compared to these crooks.

According to this site, Dot TK is a company that offers .tk domains at no costs. When your domain gets popular, they would take over your domain which would redirect users to another website full of advertisements which is better known as domain parking. When this happens, Dot TK which is the company is uncontactable. However, they seem to be able to be contacted at Twitter which can be found at https://twitter.com/dottk @dottk .

Is it really a scam or is it because of users not renewing their domain regularly. A possibility of not being able to contact Dot TK is because there are too many e-mails to handle. However, they seem to be able to handle support sent on Twitter easily because they appear to reply to many support requests within a short time. What do you all think about this? Is there anyone who has experience with such domains?

Based on my experience its not a scam.

I have dot tk before for 3 years and i have avarage visitors about 100 users everyday and i check it most of the time i dont seen it redirect.
twotrophy
zimmer wrote:

I have dot tk before for 3 years and i have avarage visitors about 100 users everyday and i check it most of the time i dont seen it redirect.

This person says that his domain was taken away and redirected after his domain had 500 views but thank you for bringing up this point.
johans
twotrophy wrote:
zimmer wrote:

This person says that his domain was taken away and redirected after his domain had 500 views but thank you for bringing up this point.

Twotrophy, I think you missed interpret what zimmer said.

I agree with Zimmer. I used dot tk for may domain over 2 years now and i dont have issue and problem so far.
twotrophy
johans wrote:
twotrophy wrote:
zimmer wrote:

Twotrophy, I think you missed interpret what zimmer said.

I agree with Zimmer. I used dot tk for may domain over 2 years now and i dont have issue and problem so far.

Not really. What I meant to say was that his website only has about 100 views so it is a possibility that his domain was not taken while the person who complained that his domain was taken away had about 500 views per day.

I am more convinced that .tk domains are a legit service but but I still doubt it a little. I guess that it is safe to use .tk domains. I might also try to Tweet to @dottk since they reply regularly.
SonLight
One poster mentioned that you can pay a small fee, and then you own the domain name, just like you would with any other tld. I don't know how well that works, but it seems if you want to use a .tk domain, you can do so and probably will have no problem if it doesn't become popular. If it does become popular, there is clearly an incentive for them to take it, with or without having a valid reason. If you have a .tk website which is beginning to receive 200 or more visitors a day, it seems only logical that you would want to protect your investment by legally securing the domain.
twotrophy
SonLight wrote:
One poster mentioned that you can pay a small fee, and then you own the domain name, just like you would with any other tld. I don't know how well that works, but it seems if you want to use a .tk domain, you can do so and probably will have no problem if it doesn't become popular. If it does become popular, there is clearly an incentive for them to take it, with or without having a valid reason. If you have a .tk website which is beginning to receive 200 or more visitors a day, it seems only logical that you would want to protect your investment by legally securing the domain.

Thank you for your post. I can now confirm that it is safe to use .tk domains if it is not too popular. It seems that .tk domains are only good for trial purposes. It also seems that my Tweet was either ignored as they replied to a few tweets in the past 24 hours or it could be because they were unable to handle the load of tweets so they only replied to a few.
airh3ad
tk domain is not scam as long as i i know they have free offering domains.but i have heard once your domans gain good traffic they will stole those domains without any notice and park them to earn money from the back link traffic.
twotrophy
airh3ad wrote:
tk domain is not scam as long as i i know they have free offering domains.but i have heard once your domans gain good traffic they will stole those domains without any notice and park them to earn money from the back link traffic.

So I guess that getting a domain name being offered by Frihost is better since .tk would take your domain away if it gets popular and park it even though it might take months for Bondings to process your request. However, there is no privacy protection so your full personal information will be revealed. A good way to fake your details is to copy and paste the information of a domain privacy protection service. This would be enough to prevent someone from thinking that your information is fake. However, there is still a small risk if someone tries to contact you through the privacy service and realizes that the domain is not actually using the privacy service which is very unlikely.
manfer
airh3ad wrote:

This is exactly what most of us are telling is not true.

If it were so the complaints against .tk would be far greater. But the number of complaints you can find about tk stealing a domain are not so much and almost always looks like a tantrum. They mostly say they had lots of visits per day but almost never say what their site was about (I'm sure most of the times copyright infringement sites).

I'm of the opinion that the people that lost their tk domain is for a justified reason. If a service has a TOS and you break it you can't after that go complaining about it.

Something that is explained on their free domains Term Of Service (TOS) for example is that if any third party has a complaint againts you because of copyright infringement they will most likely terminate your domain without any notice.

And example of a complaint on a forum:
Quote:

my experience with .tk domain i had a movie site had a lot of traffic 1 day i tried my site it takes me to a parked domain so i went to my tk account i dont see my domain anymore but i see my other one i guess they took it for me or something but i will never trust free domains

(this person erronously identifies the reason of the termination of his domain as having a lot of traffic while it is because of his copyright infringements)

Besides I would say that if anyone gets a lot of traffic to their site the clever thing to do is to buy the domain. TK domains are allowed to be used unpaid (but dot.tk is still the owner of the domain) and at the same time it has paid service. So you can pay for the domain anytime and you will become the owner of the domain and you will have different TOS.

About the reputation. The number of tk domains that host phising and spam has gone down while the number of .com and .net domains with phising and spam has gone up in last years.
twotrophy
manfer wrote:
airh3ad wrote:

This is exactly what most of us are telling is not true.

If it were so the complaints against .tk would be far greater. But the number of complaints you can find about tk stealing a domain are not so much and almost always looks like a tantrum. They mostly say they had lots of visits per day but almost never say what their site was about (I'm sure most of the times copyright infringement sites).

I'm of the opinion that the people that lost their tk domain is for a justified reason. If a service has a TOS and you break it you can't after that go complaining about it.

Something that is explained on their free domains Term Of Service (TOS) for example is that if any third party has a complaint againts you because of copyright infringement they will most likely terminate your domain without any notice.

And example of a complaint on a forum:
Quote:

my experience with .tk domain i had a movie site had a lot of traffic 1 day i tried my site it takes me to a parked domain so i went to my tk account i dont see my domain anymore but i see my other one i guess they took it for me or something but i will never trust free domains

(this person erronously identifies the reason of the termination of his domain as having a lot of traffic while it is because of his copyright infringements)

Besides I would say that if anyone gets a lot of traffic to their site the clever thing to do is to buy the domain. TK domains are allowed to be used unpaid (but dot.tk is still the owner of the domain) and at the same time it has paid service. So you can pay for the domain anytime and you will become the owner of the domain and you will have different TOS.

About the reputation. The number of tk domains that host phising and spam has gone down while the number of .com and .net domains with phising and spam has gone up in last years.

Since .tk domains are anonymous, you do not even have to give any personal information in registering a free domain which is why spammers and scammers are everywhere. I mostly (2/3) believe that it is all right to use such domains. Thank you for your justification.
RoylanM
.tk is not a scam. People just abuse the domain a lot and give it bad rep., they only do the redirect thing when you break their terms, don't have a valid name server etc. I've used .tk for a while and it has worked fine for me.
75alex
Well now i'm scared, just set up a .tk domain, hope there won't be problems.
Already had a rough time finding proper free host (i think i just did, i hope anyway :p ), if i can't find any good free domain provider i will be angry. Otherwise you can use cu.cc, never had problems with it but it is not top level domains Confused
RoylanM
.tk is not bad, I sent a email to an administrator here in Tokelau of the .tk site and I found out that people are just abusive of the domains that's why they sometimes take them down or redirect them. I wish people would use the domains properly and follow the guidelines.
twotrophy
RoylanM wrote:
.tk is not bad, I sent a email to an administrator here in Tokelau of the .tk site and I found out that people are just abusive of the domains that's why they sometimes take them down or redirect them. I wish people would use the domains properly and follow the guidelines.

So it is actually possible that .tk is being defamed for taking their domains away. There isn't enough evidence to support many claims where their domains (.tk legally owns these free domain names unless you purchase them) have been taken away.
likeabreeze
metalfreek wrote:
.tk domain provider themselves might not be a scam but people who use .tk domains are using it for spam and scams so the reputation of .tk is not that great.

Agreed.
That is an unavoidable thing for all the free domain providers, .co.cc, .tk, and the coming .ml domain..
Actually, even some subdomains have also been flagged by many anti-virus software..
So, to simply put, free domains are for test only,you shouldn't take it seriously.
Go buy paid domain, especially when you want to gain both reputation and profit from your website!
deanhills
My experiences with dot.tk have been positive so far. I'd say .co.cc were full of spam Websites, with an inevitable and logical conclusion. I'm sure dot.tk must have learned their lesson as they are pretty strict about inactive Websites.
RosenCruz
If your site is getting popular, just pay for the upgrade and own your domain actually. There will be no issues
Glaydur
RosenCruz wrote:
If your site is getting popular, just pay for the upgrade and own your domain actually. There will be no issues

Except that .tk domains are more expensive than normal TLDs.
Nyasro
may be
RoylanM
twotrophy wrote:
RoylanM wrote:

So it is actually possible that .tk is being defamed for taking their domains away. There isn't enough evidence to support many claims where their domains (.tk legally owns these free domain names unless you purchase them) have been taken away.

It is true, now think about it, if you park a domain but have not purchased it then it's not really 'yours'.
RosenCruz
Glaydur wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:

Except that .tk domains are more expensive than normal TLDs.

last time I checked they were around 7 dollars or 6.95

Not very expensive. Do not know the current pricing though Rolling Eyes
Gregoric
I have been using dot.tk for a pretty long time now, and habe never had any serious problems. Until the .free domain will be available, the .tk one is - in my opinion - best choice for a free domain.

Of course, if you know that you site will generate lots of entries, it is better to purchase regular top level domain.
dude_xyx
RosenCruz wrote:

exactly ! If your site getting bigger and you can earn money thing first thing to do it buy your own domain. a Domain cost you only 10$ per year or even less. So it shouldn't be a problem. Even FriHost gives away domains if you post enough.

When you use a free service you have to be ready to get troubles. You get it free so its hard to complain. Best thing to do it move away if you not sure about them.

I have never used free sub-Domains for my serious money making sites. Not even blogger anymore.
Silver485
TK is fine for hobby/personal sites, but not good for serious like for your company, buisness, or profession.

tk does NOT use cloaking so it's actually a real domain, however once your site gets popular it will take away your domain (yes its true)

if you lose your tk its ok you can still get your site back (unless you made it with the tk builder):
go to the thing where you made your site (ex: webs, weebly, wix, etc) and go to your site using that url, you'll get your site back if you go and disconnect it from the domain.
Nick2008
I have used a .TK domain and it has worked fine, it's a TLD so it's better than .co.nr or some other URL redirection service. Most of the people who lose their .TK domains violate the TOS or have a website that has constant downtime.
Silver485
I see, i've encountered a LOT of people who have lost their domains.

Guess i'd better review the tos...
harrer
The dot tk requirements state that the server should not return a 404 when they do routine checks.

If you have downtime, they take the domain. You have to contact customer support for that.

Many people get banned due to illegal content and spammy links.
deanhills
Well I must be lucky then. I've had my .tk Websites for a year almost (reminds me I'd better check on the time for renewing them). And we've been down often during that period of time. I'm sure dot.tk must give one more than one try when it checks whether it's down. OK, let me go and check when I have to renew my dot.tk Websites. Very Happy

Darn: one can only renew the Websites 2 weeks in advance. Got to remember to do it in November. Ah well, what's the worst that could happen if somehow I forget to renew it? I'm working with a Frihost sub-domain and a .tk parked domain, so I can just get a new .tk domain if necessary.
manfer
deanhills wrote:
Well I must be lucky then. I've had my .tk Websites for a year almost (reminds me I'd better check on the time for renewing them). And we've been down often during that period of time. I'm sure dot.tk must give one more than one try when it checks whether it's down. OK, let me go and check when I have to renew my dot.tk Websites. Very Happy

Darn: one can only renew the Websites 2 weeks in advance. Got to remember to do it in November. Ah well, what's the worst that could happen if somehow I forget to renew it? I'm working with a Frihost sub-domain and a .tk parked domain, so I can just get a new .tk domain if necessary.

When you don't renew it they remove the DNS records so your domain doesn't point anymore to your website and the domain is on sale from that very moment. I think it is not given for free to anyone for a while, don't know how long. Not even to you. But if you ask dot.tk support to renew it manually -reassign it to you- they probably do it. The same as if they suspend your tk domain for inactivity they probably have no problem on reactivating it for you if you ask just some days after the suspension. If the suspension is for other reason, some other TOS violation, they probably won't do.

About the 2 weeks before expiration renew they send you an email to remind you about it. You can yourself configure somewhere other reminders too on a calender. Nowadays you have such calenders anywhere, PCs, mobiles, cloud calenders, ...
deanhills
manfer wrote:
About the 2 weeks before expiration renew they send you an email to remind you about it. You can yourself configure somewhere other reminders too on a calender. Nowadays you have such calenders anywhere, PCs, mobiles, cloud calenders, ...
Thanks for the tips Manfer. I've got a strange way of not dealing with calendars or diaries. I work on memory all of the time. I know more or less when something happens, and if I want to remind myself of the details I just look it up in the e-mail. I have large calendar print-outs at work against the wall, one each for 2013 and 2014. So I can see the days of the week. I pretty much visualize the date as well as remember it. It rarely happens that I forget. I do have a running to-do list however. Probably can count for a calendar of sorts. When I wake up in the morning I run through pretty much everything for the day, sometimes the week, and including future important events, it just is there in my mind.

Now that's work. With my personal stuff I can remember big dates like going on holiday, and going out on dates and errands. But for small stuff like remembering when to renew my dot.tk, I could miss it, as it's not important enough for me to remember. I don't look at the e-mail account that is attached to it regularly. BUT having said it, now we've discussed it there's a good chance I won't forget it, unless I get distracted by my work life. First week of November has just got dot.tk added to it. Maybe my grandmother's birthday on 5 November, Guy Fawkes day. Dot.tk day! Razz
RoylanM
Coming from a point Nick made earlier in this thread about the constant down time, .tk is not responsible for any downtime you have because it's your responsibility to make sure your website is hosted somewhere where downtime.
SonLight
manfer wrote:
deanhills wrote:

When you don't renew it they remove the DNS records so your domain doesn't point anymore to your website and the domain is on sale from that very moment. I think it is not given for free to anyone for a while, don't know how long. Not even to you. But if you ask dot.tk support to renew it manually -reassign it to you- they probably do it. The same as if they suspend your tk domain for inactivity they probably have no problem on reactivating it for you if you ask just some days after the suspension. If the suspension is for other reason, some other TOS violation, they probably won't do.

OK, it appears that .tk is not a scam -- they are picky about your use of the domain and may take it away if it looks like a good one and they can find an excuse, so it's a little risky to depend on them, and I think you never should if you have a business use for the site.

They do set the rules to make it likely that many people will lose their domain at renewal time; if they really were treating you in an even-handed way they should probably give you about a three month window to renew the domain, with several reminders. I question whether they would give you back the domain shortly after expiration if you asked. One reason I think they might not is because they would probably have to authorize it manually.

If you let the domain expire, they will have an opportunity to sell it. If commercial interests see it as valuable, it will be sold immediately with no recourse to you. If you ask for it back after renewal, they might allow it after a delay -- but they also might expect you to buy it at that point.
RoylanM
SonLight wrote:
manfer wrote:
deanhills wrote:

OK, it appears that .tk is not a scam -- they are picky about your use of the domain and may take it away if it looks like a good one and they can find an excuse, so it's a little risky to depend on them, and I think you never should if you have a business use for the site.

They do set the rules to make it likely that many people will lose their domain at renewal time; if they really were treating you in an even-handed way they should probably give you about a three month window to renew the domain, with several reminders. I question whether they would give you back the domain shortly after expiration if you asked. One reason I think they might not is because they would probably have to authorize it manually.

If you let the domain expire, they will have an opportunity to sell it. If commercial interests see it as valuable, it will be sold immediately with no recourse to you. If you ask for it back after renewal, they might allow it after a delay -- but they also might expect you to buy it at that point.

.tk only removes your domain if you don't follow the rules, they are a little lacking in support
manfer
SonLight wrote:

if they really were treating you in an even-handed way they should probably give you about a three month window to renew the domain, with several reminders

And that exactly why? Two weeks is more than enough time to renew something. If we don't care about our domain why they should care for us? If we want several reminders because we consider that an email two weeks before it expires is not enough then we can just configure any reminders we want ourself on our computer, on our mobile, with cronjobs, ...

Do you know what happens if we forget to renew a paid domain? Exactly the same, the domain is on sale from that very moment (depending on the register the time it takes ranges from few minutes to 48hours). So why a company that offers free domains which is on business to earn money should be different.

And you know what? If our paid domain is a domain with high traffic and we forget to renew it chances are the register adds that domain to a premium list and sells it at a higher price.

If we care about our domain we will renew it on time following the rules if we don't care we shouldn't blame others. Rules are rules. And as they give the domain for free I consider is a fair rule. You ask for 3 months frame, why not auto-renew? If given the choice...

dot.tk domains are on sale too so if we don't feel we are able to take care of our free domain with the free domain terms of service then we can just pay for the domain to be the owner. We can pay for our free domain to become the owner at any time, we don't have to wait till the last two weeks before it expires.

If someone has a .tk free domain with high traffic he can just pay for it if he is worried about the posibility dot.tk will expire his domain to sell it.

Or we can pay for a domain from other register. But the only thing different about the renewal is that we can pay for another year or years anytime, from the moment we register to the day it expires, and that you have in some registers an auto-renew feature if you use a payment method that allows it.
harrer
Even though they seem tricky, they are still working to raise the GDP of a country.

So they will try their best to keep spammy people away and get good promoters.

What better way to get someone to tell all their friends about how they got a free domain. They can remove the ones who don't follow TOS and keep genuine promoters and paid members.
Bawls
For them taking sites down that get popular, how many hits do you need because as of now i have

Total visitors in this period 6978

for this month so far if legit
RosenCruz
No, they are not SCAM. I m repeating this. I ve got a very popular domain, that is freely registered since 2 years, no take overs, no take downs for me
thantoanthang
I hate dot.tk. It's very difficult for me to register a free domain. I think it's would better if they say "want a domain? Give me some money" than treating us like they don't need us.
codersfriend
It also happened to me when I got a lot of views. I feel bad because they would say I am abusing the domain. I wish they would just notify instead of parking your domain.
Have you tried freenom by the way?
codersfriend
Anyway does this parking on tk domain still happen right now? I'm not sure it's them or some sort of a security breach. I wish this would change.
weshall007
yes on my side I think it is just out of control because of free many spammers use it so they deactivate acc with high traffic
weshall007
yes on my side I think it is just out of control because of free many spammers use it so they deactivate acc with high traffic
spinout
I got a mail from .tk saying my website was not ok and the name have been cancelled. Hm, the site have been the same since many years... Well I reregistered the sitename the same day and now it works again with the same content...

I wonder if they know what they are working with??
deanhills
spinout wrote:
I got a mail from .tk saying my website was not ok and the name have been cancelled. Hm, the site have been the same since many years... Well I reregistered the sitename the same day and now it works again with the same content...

I got the same on a continuous basis since November and I've picked up at other Forums that there are thousands of other users like us getting the same notices. I've got many dot.tk domains, like at one time I had about 18. Some I've had for many years. I did the same as you did. When they removed one of my dot.tk domains, I checked whether the site was available for free, loaded it, and it was working as before. Once I received about four notices that the domains were not working, which was nonsense. I tried to follow it up with tickets, got four automatic responses, and nothing more. I suspect they send out scripts that are picking up on other things than just the domain not working and then the end results trigger automatic e-mails to the account holders and when the score that the script returns is over a certain percentage they remove the domain entirely. It's all automated. Could be they are checking for how long it has been used, and the benefit they're getting out of loaning the domain to us under a number of conditions, all of which I'm certain must be covered in their TOS.

Bottom line. If one wants a serious domain for a serious Website, a free dot.tk domain is not a good idea.
Simonjw
Hey everyone,

One thing you have to remember than when it comes to something free there is going to be a degree of negligence and in this case scam style websites use .tk domains. This has become a bad thing for them and legitimate .tk users as in the likes of Web Of Trust and places like it will give you a bad Authority Rating just because .tk is the tld.

This doesn't mean to say you shouldn't use it, especially if you're starting a blog or something of the likes as you might not have enough money for a better tld like a .com even though they are dirt cheap these days and sometimes even come bundled with hosting. On the other hand you might be trying out a ton of projects and buying a lot of .com domains is not viable option, thus .tk will suffice.

Another issue with .tk domains is the search engine indexing. Google and other search engines DO NOT like them and will never put you on the first 10 pages of search results. A way to boost your Authority Rating would be to get an SSL certificate, which you can get for free with startSSL or letsencrypt.org. I would go with Lets Encrypt as it is much better, but will require you to do a bit of terminal work on Linux.

Another option would be to use something like es.vc. It is not a tld, but the guy Francis behind it looks after it quite well. He runs the YouTube channel HowCode.

If you want any more precise info hit me up.

Cheers
Simonjw
deanhills wrote:
spinout wrote:

I got the same on a continuous basis since November and I've picked up at other Forums that there are thousands of other users like us getting the same notices. I've got many dot.tk domains, like at one time I had about 18. Some I've had for many years. I did the same as you did. When they removed one of my dot.tk domains, I checked whether the site was available for free, loaded it, and it was working as before. Once I received about four notices that the domains were not working, which was nonsense. I tried to follow it up with tickets, got four automatic responses, and nothing more. I suspect they send out scripts that are picking up on other things than just the domain not working and then the end results trigger automatic e-mails to the account holders and when the score that the script returns is over a certain percentage they remove the domain entirely. It's all automated. Could be they are checking for how long it has been used, and the benefit they're getting out of loaning the domain to us under a number of conditions, all of which I'm certain must be covered in their TOS.

Bottom line. If one wants a serious domain for a serious Website, a free dot.tk domain is not a good idea.

Remember this is a free service, so if you're getting some good users and have advertising placed strategically, you could be making some good money and they aren't. So by them cancelling your domain over and over, it might entice you to purchase it as a premium which has it's own perks.

The process is completely autonomous and you are right in how you think it works. One thing you must remember that on your server side you should make sure your IP points to your domain name and that your http://www.domain.tk and http://domain.tk point to the same place. I have seen a lot of .tk sites that have something on the www.domain.tk, but not the domain.tk portion and that can cause a headache.

As for downtime and it allowing your domain to be cancelled. Why would you not be using the free tier of cloudflare at the least? You will have a cached website that is not on your server so that if your server goes down there is still something facing the browser and relieves all the headaches of downtime to an extent.

As for using .tk, I recommend only using it if you're making under $20 a month from the website. Anything more you should go with a premium domain tld.

Cheers
RosenCruz
Namecheap has some TLD's for as low as 0.88$/year. If you have a CC or PayPal, that should be the way to go Wink
deanhills
RosenCruz wrote:
Namecheap has some TLD's for as low as 0.88$/year. If you have a CC or PayPal, that should be the way to go Wink
I noticed that. I should really get in there and get some replacements for some of my dot.tk sites. Great opportunity to do that now. Smile
RosenCruz
deanhills wrote:
RosenCruz wrote:
I noticed that. I should really get in there and get some replacements for some of my dot.tk sites. Great opportunity to do that now. Smile

I grabbed some domains from that sale. Still did not upload a single web site Smile
SonLight
Anyone who wants to try experimenting on a site would be well advised to look for one-time deals like the Namecheap domains for $0.88, but remember that they are usually good for one year only, after which the regular renewal fee applies.

You should be prepared to delete the site after a year if it is not productive, renew`at regular price if it is doing well, or move it to a sub-domain or free site if it shows moderate potential.

Should you 'upgrade' an existing .tk domain, knowing it may be 'downgraded' a year later? I think that depends on the site. In some cases the better domain may produce success; it will surely encourage you to add fresh content. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you are willing to consider the prospect of downgrading or eliminating the site after a year.
deanhills
SonLight wrote:
Anyone who wants to try experimenting on a site would be well advised to look for one-time deals like the Namecheap domains for $0.88, but remember that they are usually good for one year only, after which the regular renewal fee applies.
I was ready to get a 0.88 site for using for short term, but wow, there's a catch. Look at the extensions they offer - like I'd rather go for dot.tk, dot.ga or dot.cf FOR FREE from Freenom, than any of the ones below. The only ones that look more or less OK are dot.tech and dot.science. Maybe dot.site or dot.press, depending what the site is about.

I agree with you. If one's going to use the domain for long term, there is an off setting charge the second year round. Although in this case I wonder whether the off setting charge is more along the lines of not being able to get people to buy the above domain extensions.

In the end I went for a dot.net. At Namecheap. I managed to get a coupon, and the charge was 11 US$, but at least it will be the same next year - which is what my experience at Namecheap has been. I wouldn't call it cheap any longer though. Namesilo is cheaper, and maybe a "Namecheap" of a few years ago. There are genuine bargains to be had. But as you mentioned, there will probably be an offsetting charge for it the next year round.
SonLight
Interesting about all the new 'generic' domain tld's. Not surprising that special deals are offered to get people to try them -- I think they would not have the negatives associated with them that .tk does, so I would be quite willing to try one with an experimental site. I think there is a good chance that some of these will gain respect in time to come, and be as valuable as a .com.

In the past, new tld's have often had highly inflated prices compared to .com. If the registrars have wised up, they may continue to offer some of these at reasonable prices. Apparently it costs a great deal (or at least did the last time I checked) to be the 'manager' (don't remember the right term) of a new generic tld. I guess that price has to come down somewhat too in order for acceptance of the new tld's.
SpaceInvader75
Quote:
I was ready to get a 0.88 site for using for short term, but wow, there's a catch. Look at the extensions they offer - like I'd rather go for dot.tk, dot.ga or dot.cf FOR FREE from Freenom, than any of the ones below. The only ones that look more or less OK are dot.tech and dot.science. Maybe dot.site or dot.press, depending what the site is about.

So would you recommend starting with a .tk domain if I'm not paying for traffic? Or is that a bad plan because I may not get organic traffic from Google if they will give lower rank to the .tk domain? It's not that I'm against paying $10 for a domain, but I have to pay in advance, and I'm new at this, so I might very well build a site and get no traffic.
deanhills
SpaceInvader75 wrote:
So would you recommend starting with a .tk domain if I'm not paying for traffic? Or is that a bad plan because I may not get organic traffic from Google if they will give lower rank to the .tk domain? It's not that I'm against paying $10 for a domain, but I have to pay in advance, and I'm new at this, so I might very well build a site and get no traffic.
Better to get a paid domain as you can grow it organically. Dot.tk in my opinion is only OK for experimentation and temporary.

You can get really cheap domains at Namecheap. I purchased one for 0.88C tonight.
https://www.namecheap.com/

The cheap domain I got also came with free private ownership. Private ownership is when the registrar won't use your personal information for the public whois.net registry list. Usually it is charged for extra, but even with the very cheap domains they are also free.