FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Photoshop Concept Art & Drawings.

ilikecheese
Well recently, I have taken an interest in Photoshop art.
More specifically, concept art and stuff. Now I do not have a graphics tablet or anything so as you may expect, I sucked at it and eventually gave up.

Till one day, one of my friends who is a video game developer, posted his concept art, not very professionally styled, but still, it was concept art, now I asked him how did he do it, since I knew he didn't have a tablet. He told me he had drawn it in his book, scanned it, and color it in Gimp. I thought to myself, "WHAT A BRILLIANT IDEA!" And grabbed a pencil and a notebook and starting sketching.

Now, I did have a scanner, but couldn't find the USB wire for it, so decided to use my mum's camera phone instead (3 Megapixels). It was horrible quality Razz. But I opened it up in Photoshop, used the magic wand selection tool and tried to color it. Since the quality was pixelated because of the phone, I eventually gave up on it since it was looking disgustingly horrible.

Then yesterday, I found another system of drawing in Photoshop. I needed a ref image and a canvas image. I put the ref image on top and changed the opacity to about 60% and began "tracing" the ref image.

After I finished, I changed the opacity to 1% and BOOM, I WAS AMAZED! It looked so good! I mean like really good!, and I couldn't believe I came up with it!

Anyways, I was amazed at myself and hope you guys find this tip useful.

BTW, here are the drawings I made so far with my new technique.

Simonjw
Well done Ilikecheese Smile.

You are a good chap and I hope you enjoy your time on this forum Smile.

You have some pretty good skills for just using a mouse Smile. It's all the 3D Modeling you do for games.

Keep it up and you will only go from strength to strength and gain everything which you have ever wanted. Use everything at your disposal to get something done and never give up because you will find a way to make big steps even if you don't have the right equipment and you will prevail.

Good one Sameen and see you on the other side Wink
rx9876
About the scanner wire, it's usually 1394-usb format.
Maybe you could ask the computer shop.
It should not be expensive.
codegeek
I did not fully understand what you meant by tracing around the ref image. Do you mean drawing around it with the pencil tool? I can imagine that these took you a lot of time and effort, especially because you did it with your mouse. And yes, they look awesome!

P.S. Have you tried the threshold adjustment layer in Photoshop? I think, with your skills, you could create something nice with it.
the-guide
Wow! So amazing that you can trace your mouse accurately on the picture. Your skill is really wonderful.

Thanks for sharing.

Simonjw
codegeek wrote:
I did not fully understand what you meant by tracing around the ref image. Do you mean drawing around it with the pencil tool? I can imagine that these took you a lot of time and effort, especially because you did it with your mouse. And yes, they look awesome!

P.S. Have you tried the threshold adjustment layer in Photoshop? I think, with your skills, you could create something nice with it.

Definitely agree with you. He is seriously well talented and you should check out his 3D modeling and game development too. Absolutely amazing to say the least Smile