FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how to remove search engine index?

rx9876
My site is using .tk domain,
however the search engine also indexed the hosting server domain address (for example ***.frihost.com ).
That causes people who use search engine might no enter my site through the tk domain.
Is there any way to stop all search engine to index my hosting server domain?

Thanks.
Peterssidan
All that a free .tk domain does is that it shows your site inside a frame. Your site is still located at the ***.frihost.com domain so that is what the search engines will see. If you stop the search engines from indexing your ***.frihost.com domain it will not be able to index your site at all and no one will be able to find your site from the search engines.
rx9876
Peterssidan wrote:
All that a free .tk domain does is that it shows your site inside a frame. Your site is still located at the ***.frihost.com domain so that is what the search engines will see. If you stop the search engines from indexing your ***.frihost.com domain it will not be able to index your site at all and no one will be able to find your site from the search engines.

Thanks for your reply.
I'm pretty sure the service I'm using is not what you said.
Peterssidan
I guess you might be right. Is that what the "Use DNS" option is for?

A robots.txt file can prevent the search engines from indexing your site.
Code:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /

Now the problem is that you only want to show this robots.txt file when accessed from the ***.frihost.com domain. Not sure if there is a better way but I think you can use mod_rewrite to accomplish that.

Name the file something other than robots.txt, e.g. disallow_robots.txt and put the following in a file named .htaccess.
Code:
RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^***.frihost.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^robots.txt$ disallow_robots.txt [L]

Now when someone tries to access robots.txt from the ***.frihost.com domain they should see the content of disallow_robots.txt instead.
rx9876
Thanks Peterssidan.
I'll try this when I got home.
twotrophy
Peterssidan wrote:

This is a fact that I did not know about the .tk service even after knowing it for years. Thank you Peterssidan for pointing this out.
likeabreeze
Peterssidan wrote:

Is that true?
I don't think so.
dot.tk offer three ways of domain using: 1.Forward this domain to... 2.Use DNS 3.Build a new website
.tk domain shows your website inside a frame only when you choose the first option: domain forwarding.
When you choose the second option to use DNS(for example, ns1.frih.org,ns2.frih.org), it's not the case-your websites are NOT shown inside a frame.
And in terms of user "rx9876"'s problem, the best way to solve this problem is to point your .tk domain DNS to Frihost and delete ***.frihost.com domain in the cpanel/DirectAdmin, dont worry you cant log on to your admin panel next time-Just go to http://***.tk(your .tk domain):2222
The search engine will automatically remove your previous frihost subdomain as soon as possible considering it doesn't exist from then on.
rx9876
I tried this one, but it didn't work.
There are some codes in the htaccess already, and I think it might be conflicting.
Thanks anyway. I'll try it again later .

Peterssidan wrote:
I guess you might be right. Is that what the "Use DNS" option is for?

A robots.txt file can prevent the search engines from indexing your site.
Code:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /

Now the problem is that you only want to show this robots.txt file when accessed from the ***.frihost.com domain. Not sure if there is a better way but I think you can use mod_rewrite to accomplish that.

Name the file something other than robots.txt, e.g. disallow_robots.txt and put the following in a file named .htaccess.
Code:
RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^***.frihost.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^robots.txt$ disallow_robots.txt [L]

Now when someone tries to access robots.txt from the ***.frihost.com domain they should see the content of disallow_robots.txt instead.