FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

couchsurfing

zimmer
Anybody heard of a couchsurfer?

I just heard this on news that you can travel for free but i guess this is more on gays person. Lol.

Travel for free all you need to do is connect with social friends and seen or post all your profile. If you are the host you let them use all the things on your house for free.
Ankhanu
zimmer wrote:

I just heard this on news that you can travel for free but i guess this is more on gays person. Lol.

Travel for free all you need to do is connect with social friends and seen or post all your profile. If you are the host you let them use all the things on your house for free.

It's not exactly travelling for free; but you can save on hotel/motel/hostel costs.
While it can substantially reduce the cost of travel, it also comes with risk; at its heart, couchsurfing is an exercise in trust (for both parties). There is a lot of risk involved in both staying in the home of someone you don't know, and in taking a stranger into your home. Luckily, more often than not, people are decent, and problems aren't all that frequent.

Why on Earth would you guess this is more for gay people?? How does that make any sense whatsoever??
c'tair
Maybe he used "gay" as in "merry"? I don't know, doesn't make much sense.

I have a friend who plays around with couchsurfing. He used it once and he spent an amazing week with two different hosts, who took him to parties, hooked him up with friends and took good care of him. He was very happy and met a lot of awesome people.

Then the second time, he tried to get hosted and after a month and over 150 request - he gave up. For some reason only 3-4 people responded to him at all and they politely refused him. I don't know all the details, maybe he had some crazy avatar on their service which turned people away or maybe it was a bad time?

It's riskier, but risks carry rewards.
inuyasha
Neither can I see any gay icon in such things. Shocked

I've never heard of it before. Just googled it. Really a western thing~~
inoshi
zimmer wrote:

Yes, I referred a friend of mine to https://www.couchsurfing.org/ (?, or another similar site) and he was able to make spectacular arrangements.

He was not and still is not gay, and eventually he got situated in his new locale and stopped couch surfing. Then he got married . . .

Have Fun Couchsurfing!

Inoshi
inoshi
Ankhanu wrote:
Why on Earth would you guess this is more for gay people?? How does that make any sense whatsoever??

Exactly, thank you!
coolclay
Will Couchsurfing has been an activity long before the internet was around, and the website was formed. It used to just refer to staying at someone else's house sleeping on the couch when traveling. Like a friend of a friend, relative or maybe even someone you met on the train or bar.

These days there is a website where people can register as hosts, and "surfers" can request to stay as they travel.

I've hosted and surfed, both before the website, as well as through the website, it's an amazing opportunity to meet new people, make new friends, learn new skills, as well as see things around you, that you may have missed otherwise.

I highly recommend hosting and surfing to anyone interested in making new friends, and learning new things!
Pande
I was reading your post then was like 0.0? What? Agree with all the above, in what way is couch surfing gay lmao.

I know some people in the US who opened their doors to couch surfing, and they met lots of cool people. They did have one person who it turned out faked their identity completely then stole about 200 dollars worth of jewlery, but they still don't regret it as on the whole they came out with a real profit: new friends.
RosenCruz
It is a perfect concept for travelling cheap, helping other people travel and make your empty room or household useful.

But one always have to be careful using these methods. Especially if you are travelling to a 3rd world country. You can get robbed, raped , even you can get killed. You have to choose well whom to have in your house and choose the house owner you will stay carefully.
onebadpenny
I can't believe I've never heard of this couchsurfing phenomenon. Especially since I live withing hailing distance of San Francisco which must obviously be a couchsurfing mecca, right?

(what?!)
watersoul
I've never travelled under a 'package' deal with flights, transfers and accommodation included in a single price. I always just buy a flight and make it up as I go along, usually works out cheaper and it's definitely more exciting for me.

I have slept on many peoples couches or spare rooms over the years though, arrive at a place, book a night or two at a hotel, then hooked up with a few locals, made friends and enjoyed their hospitality.
I wouldn't consider the online/booking .com option though, call me old fashioned, but I prefer to make judgements about people after meeting them in person.
That said though, there are many people who I havent met but I've communicated with for many years on the internet, so if anyone on Frihost who doesn't think I'm a knob wants to offer a bit of floor space for me and a sleeping bag in a beautiful place, please feel free to get in touch! Laughing