FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The new pope

RoylanM
We have a new pope and everyone seems to be cheering. What do you think?
deanhills
I'm not Catholic, so probably can't appreciate or feel anything for the Pope. Didn't realize the powerful influence Catholic Church has everywhere. I knew the Church was every where, but recently when I did some searches, came up with the top percentages below of the population who are Catholic.

I think the Pope is too old. He must be 76/77, particularly after the resignation of the previous one because of health reasons. However, I also lack insight as to the working of the papal system, maybe there is a reason why they are at that age. I'm glad for Argentina and for South America however, they deserve to have a Pope of their own after all of these years. Even if it is only for a few years.

Any way, there seems to be a few other threads already on this subject. Maybe the General Chat and World News ones could be merged?

World News
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1140690.html&highlight=#1140690

Phil&Rel Forum
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vp-1140905.html&highlight=#1140905
Marcuzzo
Dean, The numbers say that Christians are the larger group of believers in the world, but I think that they will count everybody that has been baptized, I was baptized before I could even speak and because of this I'm considered to be a Christian which is not the case.
I only go to church for weddings and funerals to support friends and family in times of joy or times of need.
and I'm sure that that there are more people that feel the same way.

back to our pope.
my first impression, if you looked at the guy before he started speaking, he looked like he was not happy at all, but when he started speaking, he really touched me. (emotionally...
Razz )
deanhills
Marcuzzo wrote:
Dean, The numbers say that Christians are the larger group of believers in the world, but I think that they will count everybody that has been baptized, I was baptized before I could even speak and because of this I'm considered to be a Christian which is not the case.
I only go to church for weddings and funerals to support friends and family in times of joy or times of need.
and I'm sure that that there are more people that feel the same way.
Aren't catholics counted as part of the christian numbers? Not that it really matters though. I was more focused on catholic for the pope.

Marcuzzo wrote:
back to our pope.
my first impression, if you looked at the guy before he started speaking, he looked like he was not happy at all, but when he started speaking, he really touched me. (emotionally...
Razz )
What language did he speak? Razz
Da Rossa
I got very happy about Pope Francis being elected. Even being Argentinian (am Brazilian) Razz Just kidding.
I'm Catholic, and all I have to say is he's given me a good impression and I feel good. Anyway, it's the Holy Spirit who's guiding him Smile
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
Aren't catholics counted as part of the christian numbers? Not that it really matters though. I was more focused on catholic for the pope.

Catholics are most certainly Christian... they're kind of definitive Christian. The other forms of Christianity, ultimately, are deviations from Catholicism. This has always amused me when the various protestant sects say that Catholics aren't Christian.

Most surveys of Christian numbers include Catholicism, and it is the largest sect... unless they are conducted for a specific purpose, or by some other Christian group that doesn't accept their mother sect Razz
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
This has always amused me when the various protestant sects say that Catholics aren't Christian.
Me too. I think even Luther would have agreed they were barking up the wrong tree.
Da Rossa
Quote:
Catholics are most certainly Christian... they're kind of definitive Christian. The other forms of Christianity, ultimately, are deviations from Catholicism. This has always amused me when the various protestant sects say that Catholics aren't Christian.

This is absolutely a shame.. It's like they want the "good definition" for themselves only. They've appeared more than 1500 years after Jesus, coming with a doctrine to "purify" the Bible. So far no problem, but then when a colleage of mine told me I was "working for the enemy" because I said "I believe, like and trust the Hail Mary", then I got disgusted with some of them. This is madness.