FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


What do you think about breastfeeding ?





Lilystock
Hi,

I'm a breastfeeding mother in Hong Kong... And I have to say, I just love it. It's such a natural way of mothering...

But I'm quite surprise by the fact that it doesn't naturally come to mind to people, and that some people are even surprise when they see me breastfeeding. Some are even choked !!! Shocked

So I'll like to know if it is really a cultural/social thing.

Just tell me from where you are from and what do you think of breastfeeding... at differente stage : infant, baby and toddlers.

THANKS YOU !!! Smile
Boles Roor
I don't have a problem with breastfeeding. I think it's good, because it's better for the baby, and it's only natural. I don't get why people would make a fuss out of such a thing.
Summer
NOthing for me . I think it is more natural and healthier too .
smokey4life
Yes, i agree i dont see why everyone makes such a big deal about it, my ex breastfeed. I think its healthy and natural!
odinstag
I totally support breastfeeding. Both of my children were breastfed as long as their mother could handle it.

One, it is so much cheaper than buying all that formula.

Two, I am a very folkish person by nature. So I feel that since it is the way nature intended, then it is the best path.

Three, there are plenty of facts out there that back me up in my feelings that it is just the best darn way to do it. Why should we be so detached and artificial. We are just another mammal on this planet, even if we are a very high form of mammal.
budazz
ther is no problem in breastfeeding... its the most natural and normal way the baby should take...


remember:

"breast feeding is still best for baby"........

no for adult bby
hac
What kind of pople choke at the sight of breastfeeding. There must be something wrong with them. I'm from India and I think breast milk is the purest and richest source of nutrients for the new born!

- Hac
Nameless
I don't think it's the breastfeeding that's the problem, it's the breastfeeding *in public* that may be the problem.
SuperMonkey
Yeah, I have to agree with Nameless, its the whole breast feeding in public that gets people. Basically its indecent exposure no matter how you think about it. personally I don't mind it, I just look the other way Smile cause its rude to stare Wink but if someone has little kids with them and some lady is breast feeding, the parents might not want their kids exposed to it, and also if it is in a restaurant/cafe situation, that is just wrong Sad as it puts the other people off eating their food, or drinking their nice cup of coffee with milk Smile

Private breast feeding... go for gold Very Happy

Public breast feeding... be considerate of others, choose a quiet place, or maybe even find a rest room.

Also I might add, it probably isn't too good to still be breast feeding a toddler (but I honestly don't know as I haven't had kids yet Smile) I would say they should be onto a bottle by then Smile
odinstag
SuperMonkey wrote:
Yeah, I have to agree with Nameless, its the whole breast feeding in public that gets people. Basically its indecent exposure no matter how you think about it. personally I don't mind it, I just look the other way Smile cause its rude to stare Wink but if someone has little kids with them and some lady is breast feeding, the parents might not want their kids exposed to it, and also if it is in a restaurant/cafe situation, that is just wrong Sad as it puts the other people off eating their food, or drinking their nice cup of coffee with milk Smile

Private breast feeding... go for gold Very Happy

Public breast feeding... be considerate of others, choose a quiet place, or maybe even find a rest room.

Also I might add, it probably isn't too good to still be breast feeding a toddler (but I honestly don't know as I haven't had kids yet Smile) I would say they should be onto a bottle by then Smile


I just don't think that it is indecent. Some people are just programmed with some silly notions. How is it indecent?

The rest room is a nasty place. I wouldn't eat there. Would you?

As far as how long to breast feed, I figure that is a mothers thing. Not my place to make the call.

If breast feeding puts someone off of eating. Then they are having a very un-natural and programmed reaction that is very ignorant and intolerant if you choose to look at it that way.
Dark_Jedi06
I have no problem with it, in fact I believe it's better for a child to get nourishment naturally from their mother then from some crappy, mass-produced formula. Razz
SilverDogg
i dont have anything against at all, like everybody says, its natural and best for the baby.

and i think that the mothers should be able to brestfeed in restaurants and such. why not? the baby needs food aswell. its not like they pop out their breast in any sexual way, they just feed their kid.

oh, yea, its strange if a kid at the age of 10 still brestfeeds ;P
SunburnedCactus
It helped me grow up big and strong!
Lilystock
It's nice to read so many supporters Laughing

I have to say that the position of SuperMonkey is not so original despite what the posts here seems to indicate.

Of course, the issue is mostly breastfeeding in public. At home, nobody's seeing you, so you can not choke anyone... But a breastfeeding mother does also have to go out from time to time... and as odinstag, restroom is not always appropriate for breastfeeding... hygienically, I can't say that it's the best, and the confort isn't great also. I find it sad that even as we say that it's the best for baby and it's natural, we still have to hide. Of course, if there is a quiet place and even better a nursing room, I will go ! But the fact is that there isn't alway such a place. Nursing room is still quite rare in Hong Kong, there is even less than restroom reserved to handicap people.

It's funny that people are thinking about "indecent exposure". I breastfeed in public, but nobody can see my breast ! My baby is nursing, so the only thing that you would see is my baby's head. My T-shirt is covering the rest of the breast. Breastfeeding can be done quite discreetly. I doubt that I'm the exception here. Personnally, I have never seen any breastfeeding mother going around with her breast nake so that everybody can see. I think that people talking about "indecent exposure" have just never seen a nursing couple (mother-baby)... If you are not deliberately staring, you would think that the baby is just sleeping on the mother arms.

As for breastfeeding toddler, the benefict is mostly immunization, which can be quite significant when we know that these are the years of sociabilization and as most mothers knows, the years when the kids will be the most likely to be ill...

Thanks everybody for your feedback, even those against. I appreciate Wink It helps me understand better the issue as I'm living it...
Sunny
Well first all of all thanks for reminding me that breasts are primarly for baby feeding. lol just kidding and no I ain't been watching porn lately. haha.

Now Seriously..Mother's milk have lot of nutrients which cows milk or infant forumula lack and which are necessary for baby growth. Other thing is they have the enzymes to digest the Mother's milk and may not be able to digest other things at all. Breastfeeding is best for atleast 4 months.

I don't see anything wrong in feeding a baby in public places. Mom can always use a shawl or something to cover.
Jack_Hammer
I know a couple of people have said this already, but breast feeding is natural and most suppliments are bad for a babys health see:
Quote:
"Marketing practices that undermine breastfeeding are potentially hazardous wherever they are pursued: in the developing world, WHO estimates that some 1.5 million children die each year because they are not adequately breastfed. These facts are not in dispute."... More on this here


That is why I personally NEVER buy any Nestle or Wyeth products.

Jack_Hammer
Something I don't like is people being offended or disgusted by the human body, it just sickens me sometimes, it's natural and as for breast feeding I should see no reason why you shouldn't breast feed them in public.
planet
I'm a sucker for a tit myself, so I'm ALL for it ^L*

(now before any of you kids think I'm a dirty ol man I have to point out that I'm a grandpa of 4 =)))

ps. MonkeyBABEE,,, you clearly havn't had enough! (yet?) hehe
Jack_Hammer
SuperMonkey wrote:
...but if someone has little kids with them and some lady is breast feeding, the parents might not want their kids exposed to it, and also if it is in a restaurant/cafe situation, that is just wrong Sad as it puts the other people off eating their food, or drinking their nice cup of coffee with milk.


It is not wrong at all but completely natural and nothing to be ashamed about there is no reason not to do it, and there is no reasonable reason why it should put anyone off therir food or disgust anyone.
johnabraham
i dont have a problem with it...its quite normal within my family/friends, they say children who have been breastfed get more nutrients than from normal milk...
earthchild
breastfeeding is natural, healthy, and beautiful

I support you too Very Happy
S3nd K3ys
Lilystock wrote:
What do you think about breastfeeding ?


I think it's somewhat sweet tasting, and I love warm milk, but I doubt it would be a substantial part of a meal for most adults. Shocked

Seriously, my wife is(was) breast feeding our son(s). I think it's great. I know it's very good for the kids. So I'm willing to sacrifice m..... oh, never mind the details.

Good job!

Cool
BulletProof
no problem with it..i think its natural like the others say.
SuperMonkey
Ok, it seems that people didn't read my post properly, or just misunderstood it. At no point did I say I was against it, in fact I said...
Quote:
personally I don't mind it, I just look the other way Smile cause its rude to stare

My post was simply to point out that not everyone is ok with it, and this is backed up by the fact that some restaurants/cafe's discourage breast feeding on their premises. I have also seen people (that were frequent customers) leave a cafe (I worked at) during a meal when a lady started breast feeding her baby a few tables away from them. (before anyone says anything, it was not the food or staff that caused them to leave Smile)

As for stopping breast feeding a toddler, what I meant by this was to stop feeding from the breast, and use a bottle (that has breast milk in it), not to stop giving the toddler breast milk. Smile

I have seen a lot of breast feeding mothers, and a quite a few of them were not very discrete in trying to get their baby to feed, or while their baby was feeding.


P.S. Old man Planet Razz Smile in the 21 years of my life I have seen many breasts, up close and very personal Wink Smile if you know what I mean. I have nothing against them.
Lilystock
Hi SuperMonkey,

Your testimony proves that I'm not paranoiac... some people does strongly desapprove of breastfeeding so. Crying or Very sad

But it seems that they just don't went to write in this topic. Maybe are they afraid that this time THEY will be the one people frown at.

It's a shame because I would have wanted to know what they are thinking and what perturbe them so much in the concept of breastfeeding... We can debate respectfully Smile
frozenhead
Lilystock wrote:
Hi SuperMonkey,

Your testimony proves that I'm not paranoiac... some people does strongly desapprove of breastfeeding so. Crying or Very sad


Nah!? Of course you're not!, I still believe breastfeeding is the most natural and healthy way of nurturing an infant and just ignore what some other people say. Wink
______________________
windrei
Lilystock wrote:
Hi,

I'm a breastfeeding mother in Hong Kong... And I have to say, I just love it. It's such a natural way of mothering...

But I'm quite surprise by the fact that it doesn't naturally come to mind to people, and that some people are even surprise when they see me breastfeeding. Some are even choked !!! Shocked

So I'll like to know if it is really a cultural/social thing.

Just tell me from where you are from and what do you think of breastfeeding... at differente stage : infant, baby and toddlers.

THANKS YOU !!! Smile



hello, i am from Hong Kong too.

i am a 23 boy. To me, i quite apperciate mothers who give breastfeeding to their babies. It's so warm and touching. i don't see any problems even they do it in a public area.

well, i know what do you mean. Hong Kong is a strange place. Although people claim themselves are open-minded, actually they are not. Sometimes, some trouble makers even report to the security or police... ...and said, "this woman show her body in public area !"

can they consider it as a beautiful picture in the human world ?

so go ahead, do not care how such people view.
Lilystock
Hi,

Phew, so I'm lucky because nobody have ever reported me yet. But one thing for sure, I don't ask for a place to nurse anymore. The few time I did, I was showed the way to toilet or such smal cabinet that I could'nt even take the diaper bag with me inside ! Rolling Eyes So now, I breastfeed at some quiet and nice place, and I even know some few place where I can easely go shopping because there is a nice nursing room. I just don't go there during WE because we often find ourselves having to wait in queue... Laughing

As you say, there is something very strange in HongKong : nobody is going to tell you directly that you are bothering them, they would prefer to call the police. No room for discussion...

And I also have a not so nice story to say about security man. One day, just before I gave birth to my baby, I brougt my nephew and niece to see a movie in the space museum. We were there in advance, and since I was so big, I was easely getting tired. Especially as the birth was due very soon... Confused As there were no chair or bench, I just sat on the stairs. I have to say that there were nobody using the stairs (don't remember to where they are leading...). Well the security just told me to get lost. When I asked where I could seat, he just didn't care. So much a gentleman... Mad

One other thing, in public transport, I have notice that it is mostly women that let me have their seats... Is there something abut male education or what ???
Slick
ahhhh just wish i was a baby now haha!

get to suck tit in publc without being arrested hahahahaha! Laughing
criticaldensity
its natural and human
stiffler
I live in the USA, and I have 2 kids. My wife breastfed both of them. It is THE absolute best thing your child can get in the first few months of life. I wouldnt have it any other way.
Lilystock
Yes, ok well so... the next question is : when is it that we should stop the breastfeeding ? And why ?

Quick answer appreciated because baby is now 5 months old ! Laughing

Thanks !
mark
People must just be choking because they are seeing you do it in front of them. Do it in private. No one would know.
Lilystock
Well, thanks Mark... So it means that I must stay at home all day long to feed my baby ? Eh? Nice... Quite like being in prison...

But at least, I have the choice of the decoration... before the birth at least, because after, I will not be able to change it, 'cause I will not be able to do any shopping Laughing
tessaponcelet
i always thought breastfeeding was the most natural thing in the world, one of the few natural acts left nearly intact by our society. this forum makes me doubt even that... Sad
blackdragon666
I don't mind breastfeeding. Studies show that breastfed babies have better immune systems, and it helps with brain chemistry. Besides, it's cheaper, who wants to by milk when you can make your own? Twisted Evil
RebelYell4x4
breast feeding is the most natural way to bring up a child. Just look at all the other animals doing it. Because don't forget, we're animals also.
tonebone0011
I have no problem with public feeding. Its kinda cool.
ApolloKid
i think that when the baby can start eating solid foods its too old..and whens that like 1 year and a bit or something?
windrei
Lilystock wrote:
Hi,

... ... ... ...

One other thing, in public transport, I have notice that it is mostly women that let me have their seats... Is there something abut male education or what ???


well, i do give my seat to pregnant women, people with their babies and elderlys. And i also saw some men and women giving their seats to those people too. i think it's not a matter of male education. It depends on how a person is growing up. Some people think that it's their seat at the moment when they sit down, then why should i give me seat to you ? who comes first, who can take it. i did see a group of people, from teenagers to middle aged, with man and woman, sitting peacefully in MTR but with a couple of elderlys holding the rail unstablely... so what does it mean ?? as i said, hk is a strange place. Although people are comparatively with high education, what do they act is not appropriate to it... ...

so do you get troubled in breastfeeding now still ?
adwya
i dont have proplems in breast feeding Surprised
yzy
Some photo studios have begun to provide nude photo services for lovers and couples in Changchun, capital of Northeast China's Jilin Province. However, privacy concerns have posed a challenge for both the photographer and the clients.

To avoid tangling over the privacy issue, the photo studio will sign a secrecy contact before the shoot, arrange a "third" person on the scene, and destroy the negatives and damaged photos after the work is done for those clients open and brave enough to have the shoot.

To date, there is no law in China that prohibits taking nude photos, while the amount of nudity is under the control of the photographer and the photo takers. But as nude art is a serious body art, the posture and the baring parts are strictly regulated when photographing nudity.

The photographer suggests the photo takers be only partially nude. For example, the takers could use some accouterment to cover their private parts to express the implicit beauty.

Nude photo taking has been very popular abroad for many years. In China, where such photos are relatively new, there has been much discussion. Some old people view it as degenerative and think it reflects unhealthy mentalities.

But some young people think it is just another of the many signs of moral decay in modern society. Others riding the fence consider it as a personal behavior that others have no right to interfere in.

Zheng Lusheng from the Academy of Social Science of Jilin Province said: "The purpose of taking wedding photos is to share happiness with relatives and friends. But nude wedding photos cannot do this; after all it is an intimate thing. It also has another hidden trouble. Once the couples divorce, the two sides may hurt each other with the nude photos."
Lilystock
yzy wrote:
Some photo studios have begun to provide nude photo services for lovers and couples in Changchun, capital of Northeast China's Jilin Province. However, privacy concerns have posed a challenge for both the photographer and the clients.
.....


yzy, do you assimilate breastfeeding in public with taking nude photos ??? You know, when I breastfeed in public, nobody can see my breast except my baby ! There is a technique to do it discreetly, I guess that in the beginning, it's not so easy, but now, after 5 months, I'm quite an expert I think...

The problem is that even when we are discreet, some people do frown at you... But to answer to windrei, I think that I'm lucky because except for frowning, nobody told me anything. I know that in some countries, the disapproval is stronger (understatement...).

As for the "male education", well... till now, I can only count 1 male giving me his seat, and that was not a chinese but an indian. I don't know from what origin you come from, but well, you must be an exception...
Lilystock
ApolloKid wrote:
i think that when the baby can start eating solid foods its too old..and whens that like 1 year and a bit or something?


A baby can begin solid food by 6 months... but milk is still his main nutritious provider... Natural weaning is by 2-3 years olds if recents studies are to be believed of... The idea that baby have to be forced to stop nursing is quite young in human history in fact and goes with pair with formula milk.

But by 1 year old, a baby can switch directly to cow milk, so no formula milk, even if the nutritous intake isn't as good and that there is some risk of allergy...

At first, I was thinking of breastfeeding to 6 months old since that's the minimum recommended by the american pediatricians association, but the more I read about it, the more I'm thinking to do it till 1 year old.

Maybe when she will reach 1 year old, I will be thinking of nursing her till natural weaning... The most important drowback I have about it, is what other people will think, even if I know that it's stupid of me to even care. And anyway, by this age, she would only need to nurse one or 2 times a day, so it can easely be done at home... Well, still thinking about it as you can see;-)
jongoldsz
Breast feeding is natural. Even monkies do it. (I think)

What is unnatural is the plastic breast in "Meet The Fockers" which is used to feed the baby.
Would any one actually do that?
Related topics
Original Ideas contest
Right to Lifers' Problem
Kids fascinated by the computer
Would you marry a HIV Positive Partner?
I slept with my mom!
Should your Baby be born at Home?
How many bots are you having a day ?
Diets and Exersize Programmes
Breastfeeding a dog. Explain this to me, Brits...
Afghanistan, the drug addiction capital (after Taliban)
Is Milk Bad For You?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.