FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Suggestion for old topics

badai
in one of the forum that i frequent, if you want to reply to old topic, it will display this image:

can we do that here? i really hate seeing people digging up 6 years old topic when they try to get host here.
twotrophy
It is probably a good idea to do this because many new users are posting as often as possible just to earn points that would be converted into coins for a free domain name or to get free hosting which only requires points. There should be a clearer warning on the rules page about digging up old topics and making very short posts.
Peterssidan
It's not a bad idea, but I think 30 days should be changed to a year or more because we don't want people to start new threads every month about the same thing.
Ankhanu
I like this.
In general, I think closing old threads just because they're old is a poor idea, but a warning system like this might make some users reconsider whether or not their comment actually adds anything to an old discussion. I am a little cynical regarding human nature, however, so also kinda think that the type of poster who's just making as many posts as they can is also going to simply disregard the warning Razz

Either way, it's a good idea, imo.
cybersa
Good Idea.
I think 15-20 days is enough.
the-guide
I like this idea too but a period of 30 days is too short or not?

Ankhanu
The period, I think, isn't really an important part of the discussion at this point... the concept of the warning system is more important. Chances are if it's adopted, the appropriate warning period will be determined by the staff.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
I am a little cynical regarding human nature, however, so also kinda think that the type of poster who's just making as many posts as they can is also going to simply disregard the warning Razz

Either way, it's a good idea, imo.
Agreed. Those who have a tendency of abusing the system will probably ignore the warning. Some may even be compelled to continue thinking that it could be a great topic to revive.
twotrophy
deanhills wrote:
Agreed. Those who have a tendency of abusing the system will probably ignore the warning. Some may even be compelled to continue thinking that it could be a great topic to revive.

I am unsure about the rule on not digging up topics for no good reason. Does this mean that posting on old topics is allowed if the person has a good reason for posting?
badai
twotrophy wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I am unsure about the rule on not digging up topics for no good reason. Does this mean that posting on old topics is allowed if the person has a good reason for posting?

you can do anything, including kill a man if you have good reason. duh! lucky stupidity never merit as good reason for a killing.

now i have to spell it for you....

of course it's allowed with good reason. that is why most forum never lock old topic. it was always there so people can update it when necessary. the problem arise when people who has nothing to do with the topic post in it and the post has no "value", some time just repeating the answer, or worst give the wrong answer when the right answer was already posted 5 years ago, or just put one liner or the best example is use it to spam, like my topic about click optimization. after months with no reply, somebody just try to sell their service there.

if you really can't trust your judgment, just open a new topic to say whatever is in your mind. if it's already answered in the old topic, just be prepare to be told to use search function first, which is your fault anyway, not because of not using the search function (obviously). but for missing the point in the old topic.

confuse? you won't if you can grasp the idea of annoying people vs doing the hard thing when you have a good reason for doing it.
deanhills
twotrophy wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Definitely. Some of the old topics are ageless. Like how to become a millionaire on the Internet. Some of the old discussions are quite high quality too, and a great starter for a new post to be contributed. But some times one gets a topic that is time sensitive, like in the market sub-forum asking for design of a logo project in 2010, or someone asking for a solution to a specific problem etc. where it is very obvious if one would have read through all of the previous posts, that the thread had become obsolete and redundant. It is obvious the person did not really read through the discussion, nor was the discussion relevant any longer. I've seen plenty of posts like that in Bondings' Official Blog. The latter I regard as out and out spam posts, like "great news", "well done", the less than one liners. I.e. the 75,000 posts thread that is a few years old. There are quite a number of those that are replied to on a daily basis.

Wonder whether threads could be coded so that when we start those they give us an option of indicating a closing date so they would be automatically locked after a certain date. Including a default for keeping them open if they are not time sensitive.
twotrophy
deanhills wrote:

Definitely. Some of the old topics are ageless. Like how to become a millionaire on the Internet. Some of the old discussions are quite high quality too, and a great starter for a new post to be contributed. But some times one gets a topic that is time sensitive, like in the market sub-forum asking for design of a logo project in 2010, or someone asking for a solution to a specific problem etc. where it is very obvious if one would have read through all of the previous posts, that the thread had become obsolete and redundant. It is obvious the person did not really read through the discussion, nor was the discussion relevant any longer. I've seen plenty of posts like that in Bondings' Official Blog. But the ones in Bondings' Offical Blog I regard as out and out spam posts. I.e. the 75,000 posts thread that is a few years old. There are quite a number of those that are replied to on a daily basis.

Thank you for your response to my question. I now understand that writing something on an old topic is all right if there is a good reason. I would be donating to you 1 coin as usual for answering this very important question. By the way, it seems that I am responding to you in less than 10 minutes after you answered your question. This shows the importance of looking out to new posts every 10-15 minutes of posting in Frihost.
deanhills
twotrophy wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Definitely. Some of the old topics are ageless. Like how to become a millionaire on the Internet. Some of the old discussions are quite high quality too, and a great starter for a new post to be contributed. But some times one gets a topic that is time sensitive, like in the market sub-forum asking for design of a logo project in 2010, or someone asking for a solution to a specific problem etc. where it is very obvious if one would have read through all of the previous posts, that the thread had become obsolete and redundant. It is obvious the person did not really read through the discussion, nor was the discussion relevant any longer. I've seen plenty of posts like that in Bondings' Official Blog. But the ones in Bondings' Offical Blog I regard as out and out spam posts. I.e. the 75,000 posts thread that is a few years old. There are quite a number of those that are replied to on a daily basis.

Thank you for your response to my question. I now understand that writing something on an old topic is all right if there is a good reason. I would be donating to you 1 coin as usual for answering this very important question. By the way, it seems that I am responding to you in less than 10 minutes after you answered your question. This shows the importance of looking out to new posts every 10-15 minutes of posting in Frihost.
Thanks very much twotrophy, the coin and thanks are much appreciated.

Looks like while I was editing my post (twice) I hadn't noticed your response. I only noticed it when I received a pop-up notice of a PM. That also took some time. Not sure how long.

Any way, the edited part contained a suggestion for adding an option when creating a post to make it time-sensitive:
deanhills wrote:
Wonder whether threads could be coded so that when we start new threads they give us the option of indicating a closing date so they would be automatically locked after a certain date. Including a default for keeping them open if they were not time sensitive.
tidruG
This would be a brilliant idea, if it could be implemented. The issue is that phpBB is outdated, Steve is overworked, and the site has been personally modded too heavily by Steve to use a standard mod.
Pande
In a forum I used, now gone so I don't know what software or plugins it was using, but when you typed in the title of your new thread a box would appear with a number in it, say 7, which meant 7 existing threads were found that were deemed similar to your own. You could then review these threads in a pop-up window and if you noticed that your exact same question / article had already been posted you could instead continue that thread.

That would also be a useful tool here.
sonam
I like this idea, only we need longer period. BTW today I was see one new post on my one year old topic but I think the reply is quite useful.

Sonam
twotrophy
sonam wrote:
I like this idea, only we need longer period. BTW today I was see one new post on my one year old topic but I think the reply is quite useful.

Sonam

I guess that the warning should be extended to 2 and a half months instead. Some replies to old topics are all right as long as there is a need to do so.
Josso
I forward this motion.

Also yeah the poor quality posters will still just ignore the message, one of the issues of having currency this problem will always crop up in some form or another but I think for people that search for stuff to reply to in general this would beneficial. It might make enough people think twice it could cut bump issue down a lot
Ircher
This would be an excellent idea, because I keep on forgetting to look at Timestamps, so I got an AWITS for it, and I did it again by accident.
As others have said, if you are a legitimate and honest member, you'll be very careful when you see the message; otherwise, you'll ignore it.

If you can't implement this, can you atleast implement some kind of pruning system; it would have a similiar effect as the previous idea, and would help keep some people like me from reviving old topics and threads. Wink