FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Habemus Papam

Vanilla
Quote:
Jorge Mario Bergoglio, SJ (born December 17, 1936) is an Argentine cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He has served as the Archbishop of Buenos Aires since 1998. He was elevated to the cardinalate in 2001. He was elected Pope on March 13, 2013.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Francis

The first Pope outside Europe is a Latin American Pope. I was expecting a more modern one, but I think my expectations were way too high.
deanhills
Looks as though the Vatican is sucking up to South America. Just checked and 92% of the population of Argentina are catholic vs 90% of Italy. Wonder what it is about the Catholic Church that makes such a lasting impression versus all of the other countries in the world? Poverty perhaps?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_by_country

stevenwestwork
Having traveled fairly extensively through Italy, I'd wager those statistics at 90% catholic are much more indicative of a "cafeteria" or "cultural" catholicism at best. I'm from an irish-american background and saw very familiar situations; tons of non-practicing, often non-believing folk who still identify with the spectacles of youth but don't buy into the clergy or dogma. Answering to aunt ruthy or the census huy you might label yourself as obedient to the vatican, but your friends know otherwise haha
deanhills
stevenwestwork wrote:
Having traveled fairly extensively through Italy, I'd wager those statistics at 90% catholic are much more indicative of a "cafeteria" or "cultural" catholicism at best. I'm from an irish-american background and saw very familiar situations; tons of non-practicing, often non-believing folk who still identify with the spectacles of youth but don't buy into the clergy or dogma. Answering to aunt ruthy or the census huy you might label yourself as obedient to the vatican, but your friends know otherwise haha
Sounds hopeful. I guess they're into family planning as well. Using birth control. For me that is the worst "sin" of catholicism. Forced misery when children are born who can't be cared for. And may not even be wanted.