FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hey guys and girls!

What pushes you forward on a daily basis and makes you accomplish something you have set out to accomplish?
Personal Gain
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Proving A Point
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
A Person You Look Up To
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Changing The World
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Simonjw
Whats up everyone?

I am new here, signed up a few days ago and have now got the opportunity to write my introduction post, I am going to try and keep it short and sweet, I promise Wink.

Short and sweet!

Was great introducing myself, hope you guys and girls have learnt a lot. Very Happy

I am kidding. Thought I would try and give a bit of humour/humor for a first post. I tried, okay, okay, enough laughter now, down to the nitty gritty things!

My name is Simon, I am a South African at heart living in the lovely City of Cambridge in England. I say lovely, but I tend to disagree with a lot of elements Smile.

I enjoy many things including sport and mostly sport, but also have really gotten into the online world and do a lot of freelance work in many sectors. I like the vibe about this website and I think people should be more active.

I see there are some good forum categories and one that really suites me is sport, so I will be posting a lot in there with regards to any sport, but mainly rugby as I play it at a professional level. I will also share fitness tips and ways to keep in shape if people would like that. I will also have a link back to my site which will have regular content for anyone wanting to hit up a fitness regime and I can make ones for you personally if you would like. Don't suppose there are many fitness junkies on here at all?

I see there is a forum category called market place and I am sure I can help out people there for free and for coins if they wanted to "Donate" any. I can help out with PHP, HTML5, CSS3, XML, AJAX and Jquery coding myself as well as with graphics design.

I like to broaden what I know on a daily basis and to get to do that, you have to meet new people and one of the best ways to start is online on a forum like this.

So I am happy to be here and lets all get the ball rolling Smile...

Tell me what you guys and girls do as a career or if you are studying, tell me what you're studying? Why not drop your age in too and what you'd like to be when you grow up.

Keep it real.
Simonjw
I said it would be short and sweet Wink
celticwarrior
hey simon!!!!!!!
watersoul
Hi Simon, only read your intro post just now so a late welcome to Frihost from me.
What really made me reply was a curious connection of thoughts after reading you're a pro rugby player, South African at heart, and SimonJW - So Joost van der Westhuizen popped into my head:

Pity about his health challenges these days though.

I only played rugby up to age 16 but I enjoy supporting my local town battles in the Tribute Western Counties West division (level 7 if we call the Premiership number 1, for non England RFU folk, there are 10 league/division levels). I'm also lucky enough to have Exeter Chiefs about 20 miles away for live Premiership rugby and have watched some brilliant matches there at Sandy Park, it's also a venue for the 2015 world cup and I'm hoping to get my hands on some tickets.

I'm no full-on fitness guy myself though, I try to train a couple of hours Wing Chun each week and do physical building work to pay the bills, stone walling, rendering/plastering, etc. I also live up top of a steep hill/cliff walking nearly three hundred steps up and down quite a few times every day. I often run up them to feel the burn and improve my time.

Anyway, enough of my own 'short n sweet' reply for now, good to see a rugby guy at Frihost, nice mix of members here, but please tell me you're Union and not League though lol
deanhills
Hi Simon. Welcome to Frihost! How did you hear about us? As we have to be the best kept secret in the business.

OK now for serious life questions. Which rugby team is your favourite in South Africa? Mine is the Sharks. Which is your favourite team internationally? Mine are the Boks, Kiwis (All Blacks), Welsh, Argentinians, Ireland, Italians, Ozzies, ... in that order. French don't rate at all, although they can play a good game. The Roses .... now what do you expect from a team that wears white gear with roses on it .... well probably have to give them some credit for playing good games over the last couple of years. Particularly when they are playing the French on French soil.
Simonjw
deanhills wrote:
Hi Simon. Welcome to Frihost! How did you hear about us? As we have to be the best kept secret in the business.

OK now for serious life questions. Which rugby team is your favourite in South Africa? Mine is the Sharks. Which is your favourite team internationally? Mine are the Boks, Kiwis (All Blacks), Welsh, Argentinians, Ireland, Italians, Ozzies, ... in that order. French don't rate at all, although they can play a good game. The Roses .... now what do you expect from a team that wears white gear with roses on it .... well probably have to give them some credit for playing good games over the last couple of years. Particularly when they are playing the French on French soil.

I had totally forgotten about this post and should of replied years ago haha. I grew up just South of Durban in Kwazulu Natal, so the Sharks are my boys all the way haha. I am British by birth, but I favour the Boks before I do the UK, but to put it in order I'd go: Boks, UK, Kiwis and Irish.

I was really into the world cup this year and was hoping Japan could have gotten further as they played so much better. As for the Boks they were a complete let down which didn't go well over here haha.
deanhills
Simonjw wrote:
As for the Boks they were a complete let down which didn't go well over here haha.
You're right. For me Japan was a shocker, but for them it must have been worse! Laughing

Welcome back! Cool
MackkJackk
Hello Everyone.
I am new to this forum. Razz
BigGeek
I realize this thread is 3 years old now so I am a little late in responding. I didn't vote in the pole though because I find the responses kind of narrow minded. Really? Personal Gain, To Prove a Point, A person I look up to, or changing the world. These are the only 4 reasons that anyone would try and accomplish things in life.

How about to better one's self? Is that personal gain? I guess in an intangible way! Learning new things? Maybe that is a great reason to try and accomplish things. Not sure why anyone would only give those 4 reasons that people get up and try and accomplish things every day. Seems like a limited and narrow list.

As far as personal gain goes - Sure who would not like to better their life, increase their income, and improve the quality of their life. AND spare me the argument about how money isn't everything and how you life can be satisfying and rewarding without money. Sure this is true to some extent - however I think that people use the argument that money isn't the road to happiness just to justify that they are poor and broke. Money doesn't buy you happiness, but it does buy piece of mind, the ability to relax and take a break, and it affords you a life of minimal stress as you don't have to work so hard just to provide the basics in life.

I guess Simon has been here for almost 3 years not - Better late than never! So Hi! Nice to have you on frihost Cool
jajarvin
My vote goes to Personal Cool Gain.
Simonjw
BigGeek wrote:
I realize this thread is 3 years old now so I am a little late in responding. I didn't vote in the pole though because I find the responses kind of narrow minded. Really? Personal Gain, To Prove a Point, A person I look up to, or changing the world. These are the only 4 reasons that anyone would try and accomplish things in life.

How about to better one's self? Is that personal gain? I guess in an intangible way! Learning new things? Maybe that is a great reason to try and accomplish things. Not sure why anyone would only give those 4 reasons that people get up and try and accomplish things every day. Seems like a limited and narrow list.

As far as personal gain goes - Sure who would not like to better their life, increase their income, and improve the quality of their life. AND spare me the argument about how money isn't everything and how you life can be satisfying and rewarding without money. Sure this is true to some extent - however I think that people use the argument that money isn't the road to happiness just to justify that they are poor and broke. Money doesn't buy you happiness, but it does buy piece of mind, the ability to relax and take a break, and it affords you a life of minimal stress as you don't have to work so hard just to provide the basics in life.

I guess Simon has been here for almost 3 years not - Better late than never! So Hi! Nice to have you on frihost Cool

Better late than never hey.

You have some valid points, I will give you that. But as for the answers, they are quite broad spectrum if you step back and actually take a look at them.

I know a lot of people in business who have done what they have done just to prove a point and coming from South Africa, you see it a heck of a lot.

As for the rest of them, as said previously, they have a broad spectrum and from an average Joe reading them, they will be able to place their own meanings into those questions. As from a psychological point, majority of people won't answer a poll with more than 4 long answers and thus polls are normally kept to 4 answers and extremely short.

I like the objective approach you had and that you looked at them from your view, but many times in a day you'll need to step out of your body and see things from a larger perspective.

Cheers