FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is downloading movies legal if...

RA
I already own the movie?

I have legal copies of multiple movies. In order to protect my investment in the movie, I do not want to play it too many times, or it may get scratched. So, I intend to put it in a safe place, and use a copy instead-- only using the original if the copy dies.

Unfortunately, ripping the movie off the DVD is time consuming and often difficult to do. So, I would like to download the movie off the internet (which is an exact copy of the movie I own) and then view the downloaded copy.

So, given that I already own a license to view the movie, am I breaking any laws if I download it and use it for my own personal use? Should I fear an RIAA lawsuit?

P.S. I live in the US.
Bondings
Why don't you use DVD Decrypter for this? It rips most dvd's in less than 10 minutes, if I'm not mistaken. You are then even able to mount it on a virtual cd/dvd program in order to use it without having to insert it in your dvd drive. Completely legal. I used to do this with some video games.

About downloading it; the RIAA doesn't know that you own the copy before they sue you. You then have to prove that you owned the dvd before downloading it.
doudstupid
It really depend how you get the file from the internet. Here is some information about file-sharing without get sued by RIAA :- http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/howto-notgetsued.php

normally, in a smart way, if you get sued or get caught by the RIAA, you can claim that you rip the movie off your own DVD and prove that you use for your own personal use. I think that will be alright for you.
izcool
I know that the law with software is that you buy one copy of software per computer, it cannot be used on any other computer. You can make a personal backup copy of it. Not too sure if the law's been changed since I last heard of that, but I don't know what the law is with DVD movies.

I know that Michael Moore is quoted with saying that he is against the laws of file sharing and you can share his movies/work to other people to spread the word. Razz

- Mike.
someidiot88
well dude i say keep dowloading i get lots o movies of the internet because i use file sharing (Bear Share is a good one)
But the thing about file sharing is that where i live it is legal to dowload something if the host legally bought and is not distributing it for a profit (a.k.a.free)
and thus is called sharing but the bad thing is that somtimes someone will either have
A. a bad copy of the movie (as in poor quality)
B. Nobody has it what-so-ever.
johnabraham
i think even if u own a copy of the movie, downloading it from the net is illegal, though its permissable to make copies from the original that u have...though i dont know if they've changed the law in the last year or not...but this was the situation as of 2003/04.
SunburnedCactus
It is perfectly fine to have backup copies of things you already own. Although in the current climate I'm not sure how long this will last.

EasyDivX (http://easydivx.does.it) is really straightforward for doing this, I tried it and it worked a treat. The file sizes are small with the DivX codec (e.g. 600mb as opposed to a straight 4.7Gb rip). You need to download the codec as well (www.divx.com).
lilrage
as long as you already own the movie and you r just using the copy 4 personal use and not selling it or giving it away then it is not breaking the law so u r fine
bigdan
I know in Australia technically its illegal to download movies off the net, even if you do own them (ditto with taping stuff off the TV or radio).

They want to change the laws regarding this though...it's a move in the right direction Very Happy
Daniel15
bigdan wrote:
I know in Australia technically its illegal to download movies off the net, even if you do own them (ditto with taping stuff off the TV or radio).

They want to change the laws regarding this though...it's a move in the right direction Very Happy

Yay, another Australian Very Happy

My teacher was telling me that because many people started taping songs off the radio using casette tapes, a percentage of the profits made by selling the tapes goes to the recording industry. Maybe something similar should happen with CDs and DVDs?
planet
loong explanation....... NO!
thiamshui
I don't think it is allowed.. Especially when the source is illegal..
Slowhand
I my country its legal to have it on your harddrive, but when you burn its illegal.. It sounds stupid i know.. But we have to deal with the law Laughing
RA
The reason I made this post is that in This article, a grandfather is being sued by the RIAA for $600,000 because his grandson downloaded movies off the internet. The (not so) funny thing is that they already owned 3 out of the 4 movies that were downloaded.

They didn't try to resell the movie, and even deleted them right after downloading, so I don't see how they could possibly owe $600,000. Now, maybe $20 (for the cost of the one movie) plus $5000 court costs might be realistic, but there is no way $600,000 makes any sense.
the666bbq
yeah well we all know that you will not look for a crappy compression of a movie you already have, as well as we all know that you never look at a movie more than fifty times (with the sound of music we all come close : each winter again and again it is shown on tv and you must admit, after 30 times or so you have reached a critical point :: see them even more and you go crazy) and a disc will not wear off from playing 50 times unless you try to throw it in the player from a distance (and even than) look at the discs you rent at the movierental place or in your library, these are watched hundreds of times, by people who do not own the material thus not care if they scratch it :: they still keep playing

bottom line : if you take some care in your material it will survive you even playing it : looking at the compressed copy if you have the original is dumb (sorry for me saying this) and downloading the exact dvd copy will take you more time than ripping the original yourself

don't lie to us, and don't lie to yourself, you just want to clean you conscience donwloading stuff
RA
Yes i do. I want to clean my conscience for downloding movies that I already own.

Its obvious to everyone that downloading movies you do not own is, and should be, illegal. That isn't the issue.
kam311
I do think the origin of the copy matters, but if you already own it, it should be alright to download, I mean, you could copy it on your own anyway...what's the difference?
tingkagol
RA wrote:
I have legal copies of multiple movies. In order to protect my investment in the movie, I do not want to play it too many times, or it may get scratched. So, I intend to put it in a safe place, and use a copy instead-- only using the original if the copy dies.

I honestly feel this is too shallow a reason to be downloading movies.

And let's face it- nobody can really prove that they actually own original copies of movies and other media prone to piracy.
mustaq
answer is yes your breaking the law each cd have own lincence for sigle copy you can't copy to other cd even if your using for your own purpose or giving way to your friends even if you make duplicate copy to your own system its against law
willywonka
Or you could just buy a new one of the movie if you scratch it, and plus if you take good care of the movie it won't scratch. So just take good care of your movies and they won't stratch. Even if you do download em and you do get caught you will probably still get in trouble..
gonzo
RA wrote:
I already own a license to view the movie, am I breaking any laws if I download it

yes. participation in a crime
hazmatt
Bottom line: downloading any copyrighted material in the US is illegal because it is distributed without consent. You can have your own backup, but only if you make it yourself and don't acquire it from someone else. Will anyone honestly care? Nope. Right now only those who distribute materials can be prosecuted. If you d/l with bittorrent, you can in fact be prosecuted b/c you u/l while you d/l (although it may only be sharing it in its entirity, aka, seeding). En tout cas, b/c of the immense cost to prosecute, they only go after people who share on a large scale (hundreds of movies, thousands of songs, etc.).
LumberJack
Downloading movies and music is overrated. However, I really have no sympathy for the RIAA or MPAA. I am sure that they must be violating some sort of anti-trust laws. But, no one cares.....
jussisi2
Why download, when you can rip it? you only need a decrypter, and i think that there is free software available for doing that.
Ghost Rider103
This topic is 5 years old.

-close-