FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Robots are coming to stay

zaxacongrejo
Robots are coming to stay.
At the past we had several examples of limited robots ,some others non sense like AIBRO or QRIO from sony or even football robots etc things meant only to prove and test technologies or technologic concepts, but things are changing faster in December Wallace announced super bot 3.0 a new and easer way to create speech robots, we have see drones improve from day to night and now this week the news come from US navy they are developing firefighting robots, awesome finally. Till now most of robots used by military were meant to perform killing task or unarm bombs, but this new concept its great they will be capable of extinguish fire at sea in boats also they will be autonomous which means they will be capable to detect and extinguish fires by themselves not remote controlled this is a start just in the future we will assist to ship maintenance bots, security bots even kitchen bots, or even better personal bots, so I could be here and my bots doing shopping for me lol.
Bluedoll
I agree they are here to stay and more so if we define what a robot actually is. In that case a lot of simple ones have been around for a very long time. Now, as we see them getting more complex there will be greater excitement about what they can do and what impact they might have on say society?
zaxacongrejo
i know this could bee seen as crazy but i truly believe that once all the development lines reach maturity we will experience some problems, because they will be able to code themselves
twotrophy
How long will it take for robots to be available to the public? It would be good if robots that can do housework are available at your nearest technology store at this moment. But it would probably be expensive but many people would be willing to save up to buy these.
LxGoodies
zaxacongrejo wrote:
Robots are coming to stay.
At the past we had several examples of limited robots ,some others non sense like AIBRO or QRIO from sony or even football robots etc things meant only to prove and test technologies or technologic concepts, but things are changing faster in December Wallace announced super bot 3.0 a new and easer way to create speech robots, we have see drones improve from day to night and now this week the news come from US navy they are developing firefighting robots, awesome finally. Till now most of robots used by military were meant to perform killing task or unarm bombs, but this new concept its great they will be capable of extinguish fire at sea in boats also they will be autonomous which means they will be capable to detect and extinguish fires by themselves not remote controlled this is a start just in the future we will assist to ship maintenance bots, security bots even kitchen bots, or even better personal bots, so I could be here and my bots doing shopping for me lol.

You're a true optimist, Zaxa.. apart from the self-programming scenario issue you mensioned, these kind of applications surpass a certain law. These are rules I've always adhered as a technician (working with and developing robotics) and a reason I refuse to work for weapons industry,

Quote:
1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Laws_of_Robotics

Unfortunately the times of 50's SF and hippies and peace ideals are OVER.. and weapon industry ignores these noble laws.. I expect more and more suffering of humans as a result of that. As you stated, there are human-driven drones that are able to execute bombardments.. if I get your submit right, future robots would be able to decide things in combat all by themselves ? I think that is against Asimov's first law.. and a horrible scenario.

Lx
ocalhoun
LxGoodies wrote:

Unfortunately the times of 50's SF and hippies and peace ideals are OVER.. and weapon industry ignores these noble laws.. I expect more and more suffering of humans as a result of that. As you stated, there are human-driven drones that are able to execute bombardments.. if I get your submit right, future robots would be able to decide things in combat all by themselves ? I think that is against Asimov's first law.. and a horrible scenario.

Lx

Asimov's laws aren't exactly a good guideline for programming anyway.
As some of that very same Sci-Fi pointed out, the first law (through its 'or through inaction allow' part) requires robots to take over the world -- in order to protect us from ourselves.
Bluedoll
zaxacongrejo wrote:
i know this could bee seen as crazy but i truly believe that once all the development lines reach maturity we will experience some problems, because they will be able to code themselves
Before we shoot off into the world of fiction writers and movies on the sci-fi shelf maybe we could take a look at what we have right now that is not military based.

Sure computers are not robots but they give us some insight into what code themselves means. Can you think of any examples where we can look at software that does that and how? AI perhaps or repair utilities that fix problems might give us some insight into how commercial and household robots might actually function. It might not be the scare you insights of a fictional future? What do you think?
zaxacongrejo
Sure i can give you an example speech bots based in AIML that Wallace invented 13 years ago they only speak, is true, but they are able to learn by themselves and in my opinion is not a so big step from speech to code, honestly.
Bluedoll
zaxacongrejo wrote:
Sure i can give you an example speech bots based in AIML that Wallace invented 13 years ago they only speak, is true, but they are able to learn by themselves and in my opinion is not a so big step from speech to code, honestly.
Smile True that AIML language though interesting and capable has limitations. What about google with voice recognition attached? Though something is needed to write code, let me think... what do we actually mean by “write code”?
zaxacongrejo
voice recognition is older them Pandora it was introduced by Philips,and called free speech back in 1999 most of the speech recognition software's now are based in Pandora or aiml, you can see them all over the place tablets , support lines, etc ,so many places now
LxGoodies
zaxacongrejo wrote:
voice recognition is older them Pandora it was introduced by Philips,and called free speech back in 1999 most of the speech recognition software's now are based in Pandora or aiml, you can see them all over the place tablets , support lines, etc ,so many places now

It's very difficult to create a good one. Voice recognition, that is the working application, e.g. in router systems in cars, is a quite recent development. In 1996 I was working on a system at a Dutch university, it had a performance of 92% like the Bernout and Hauspie systems (Belgian company) of the time. And Philips, who was indeed slightly better. The problem with a 1:10 to 1:20 error is that you can't actually release it for commercial purpose, because the application would be difficult to handle by consumers. These early systems were very person-specific and required elaborate training (>1 hour of reading aloud small sentences)

The last 10% of the problem is the most difficult, this counts for nearly all engineering applications, also for speech recognition. Lately, systems have arrived on the market (since about 2004-2005) which perform in the range of 96% correct recognition. This can be used in cars, but IMHO these systems are still not performing good enough for e.g. telephone voice response systems (bad sample quality, speaker-independent). Companies that do, will chase away customers..

Lx
c'tair
Well, questions is - can we stop it?

Another question is - ain't it awesome? What with 3d printers being able to build your own robots sounds like a not too far off future. Im not aware of any sci-books that actually delved into this topics ie. everything I've read usually mentioned robots created by some big corp-gov entities but no book every explored the idea that maybe in the future building robots would be like programming today: sit down, write a program, make a blueprint, print it, upload the program and bam, you have your own private worker/slave.

Sweet. Or at least sweet until the robots revolt.
LxGoodies
Here's a nice Google-search about it

http://www.google.nl/#sclient=psy-ab&q=robotic++self-replicating

.. and i don't think we can stop it Very Happy Very Happy

Lx