FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Allegro or SDL?

Arrogant
Im was just wondering about which graphics library shall I use for my C project.
I am intending to make a action game requiring to draw and also to draw bitmaps on screen.
Load music,sounds.
Which would be easier and which would be better?
Peterssidan
I like SDL but I don't have enough experience with Allegro to make a fair comparison. I think SDL has faster software rendering.
Mr_Howl
I've only used Allegro, but I found it to be pretty straightforward. And I never had any problems with performance.
Arrogant
I am having a problem setting up ALLEGRO 5.0.8 statically.. Does anyone know how?
codegeek
I like Allegro more than SDL. The best for me is SFML.
Mr_Howl
Arrogant wrote:
I am having a problem setting up ALLEGRO 5.0.8 statically.. Does anyone know how?

When configuring with cmake, there is an option called SHARED. I believe if you set this to OFF it will generate static libraries.
neiesc
Arrogant
I downloaded the binaries, so i didnt have to use cmake but I just cant make it work
CHAOS-THEORY
SDL is better Faster & much simplier. always try both
Eamonn
I would say SDL. SDL is very fast and simple-ish to use. I enjoy using it, though I don't use it that much. Allegro is a pain to install, especially on a Mac (and especially on 64bit). Allegro is also pretty new.

Go with whatever one you feel the most comfortable with. I personally prefer SDL.