FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What is Meta Description?

smion
Hey
According to me meta description is a text which should not be more than 155 words. this is used for making your site visibility in search engine and much important for SEO
Peterssidan
I think the meta description is more important for pages that doesn't contain any text or very little text.
Peterssidan
What sahithya says is not always a good thing. I'm much more unlikely to click a link if the SERP description is irrelevant and doesn't contain the keywords of my search. It's probably better to let the search engine decide what is the relevant part to show in SERP.
zimmer
smion wrote:
Hey
According to me meta description is a text which should not be more than 155 words. this is used for making your site visibility in search engine and much important for SEO

My metatag is related most of my sites.
martinsherman
Meta Description is very important for On Page in SEO but it contains upto 150 characters theory is always good and practical 200 character.
playfungames
Well meta description is the text that you see in google, right below the link to a site in the search results. It is important as it might attract a searchers eyes and make him or her click your website.

But if you are hoping to improve your google rankings (go higher up in rankings) by adding meta descriptions, then you must understand that google announced some time ago that such descriptions do not impact the search rankings.

But again note that it may impact a user clicking your site on the search results page, so it is necessary to have a descriptive, attractive and an easily graspable (short probably) meta description for the pages of your website.
dolfinchris
Description Meta Tag is used by Search engines to display it in its search results and also to determine duplicity of content.
amagard
In general meta data is data about data.
Like digital photos contain data about the photo itself, e.g. when it has been shot, with what camera, exposure time, GPFS coordinates ( if GPFS was activated on the camera ) etc ...
Data about web pages usually is provided through meta tags, see example here. Providing specific meta tags helps search engines finding a page for a given keyword and of course boosts the chance to show up much higher in the search result list.
rojer_martin
Yes, relevant meta description proper word limits ie. 120-130 chars is very important as it is fetched and displayed in search results as per user's query.
zarawatsonn
Meta Description is used to provide some information regarding the content of our website, this meta tag is one of the important factor of SEO site rankings.
cps31
Just Google it!!

The meta description is a ~160 character snippet, a tag in HTML, that summarizes a page's content. Search engines show the meta description in search results mostly when the searched for phrase is contained in the description. (source - Google)