FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MEMS

Dennise
Has anyone heard of MEMS .... micro electromechanical systems?

These tiny devices can be batch produced similar to integrated circuits. They can be made up of just about number of mechanical, electrical or electromechanical parts. E.g. gears, wheels, torsion bars, levers, weights, piezoelectric transducers etc. They can even be integrated with traditional ICs..

Two examples might be a tiny gyro or accelerometer with electronic 'read-outs'.

Can anyone think of other MEMS applications?
ocalhoun
Dennise wrote:

Can anyone think of other MEMS applications?

Sure.
The machinery for a micro/nanobot factory.
roadtripbuddies
We are doing some research with MEMS + GPS for pedestrian navigation
BigGeek
We do a lot of work with local Cities and States and Traffic Management, like roadtripbuddies said they are researching pedestrian applications as well as traffic applications for Railroad Crossings, safety zone flashing apps. and more.

I tease they Mechanical Engineers all the time about how it is the predecessor of the Borg Technology and nano bots, possibly the replicators for Stargate SG1, or maybe the Decepticons from Transformers...... Very Happy The technology is going to take over the world and migrate on to the universe.

I'm just kidding, but the paranoid ramblings typically make everyone laugh Laughing
scotts96
roadtripbuddies wrote:
We are doing some research with MEMS + GPS for pedestrian navigation
As I understand, this combination is now a standard option on any reasonably well equipped Android smartphone

They are also now used in every consumer-level and most pro-level drones for stabilization