FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dishonest employees

raaeft1
I have always gone out of my way to help my employees whenever they have faced any crisis including financial. My motive has been to help them so that they can concentrate their energies on the work assigned to them. Many times, I have not even sought repayment of the financial help given to them.
But it hurts when employees steal money or small things and when confronted deny it.At that time one feels like throwing out such employees and demanding immediate repayment of loans extended to them.My wife says I am too careless with my money lying around haphazardly giving invitation to anyone to steal. That may be so but the employees must not be dishonest and hypocritical trying to project themselves as being most holy.
deanhills
I'd agree with your wife. My theory has always been that if someone takes something from me without my permission, of the kind you've mentioned, i.e. my money or valuables lying around in a public accessible place, I'm actually tempting the person, especially if that person is poor and needy or is surviving on stolen goods. So I'm partially to blame for what that person feels compelled to do.

When I travel I don't put my laptop in a laptop bag. I hide it in a very ordinary secure back pack as well as always dress down when I travel as for me a lap top bag is a give away sign of expensive electronic toys that may be available for thieves who specialize in stealing those. When I'm in a hotel room I lock my valuables in a safe, or if there is not a secure safe, find places in the room to hide the valuables, there are always places to hide valuables. Can be quite fun to look for them too. I'd hate to be an accessory to someone stealing my valuables. I don't think I can avoid theft 100%, but I do everything I can to minimize the risk.
RoylanM
Well the fact you are helpful makes you a good person, now you should throw out the bad employees and keep the honest ones. Some people are forgetful and some are liars but they always get what they have coming for them. Be careful about lending money, I always make sure we have a written/verbal agreement about money before I lend it.
standready
I think I need to side with your wife on this as well. Eliminate the easy temptation. If one is caught stealing - terminate them.
Magicman
Leaving valuables out is never a good idea. It's too big of a temptation especially since you have been so generous in the past. The employees may think they can get away with it because of your past actions. If I were you I would terminate the employee and learn from your mistake.
nickfyoung
Dishonesty seems to be a trait of employment here. There seems to be a mentality of that the employer is a rich capitalist so we must get all we can off him.
This is relevant in working practices too. It is common for employees to use up all their sick leave whether they are sick or not, to go slow and just do the bare minimum to keep their job.
I knew one guy who worked in a factory and after a late night was really sleepy by lunch time. He found a hidden corner to take a nap and woke at midnight. He clocked off and went home and was amused when he got paid for the overtime.
Another guy at the same factory didn't have a set job to do. He spent many years there walking around the factory chatting to his mates and carrying a bucket of tools.
At the same time their unions are always pushing for higher wages and better conditions and now many employers are moving off shore to cheaper wages.
deanhills
nickfyoung wrote:
There seems to be a mentality of that the employer is a rich capitalist so we must get all we can off him.
I think that mentality is prevalent whether the employer is a rich capitalist or not. I see it too. A philosophy of getting the maximum for the minimum input. I'm the opposite and wonder whether I'm an idiot for it as isn't it normal business practice to negotiate the maximum benefits for the minimum input? Why should employees be any different to the employer who is selling his product at a price that is competitive in the market?

I'm presently in an environment where expats are being retrenched left right and centre, most of them being of the kind who put in their maximum for minimum in return. Obviously their loyalty was misplaced. The day of a paternalistic kind of environment where the employer looks after his employees is long gone. It's a new deal, and people probably have to look better after themselves. Not stealing of course, but negotiate a better deal for themselves.
nickfyoung
deanhills wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:
There seems to be a mentality of that the employer is a rich capitalist so we must get all we can off him.
I think that mentality is prevalent whether the employer is a rich capitalist or not. I see it too. A philosophy of getting the maximum for the minimum input. I'm the opposite and wonder whether I'm an idiot for it as isn't it normal business practice to negotiate the maximum benefits for the minimum input? Why should employees be any different to the employer who is selling his product at a price that is competitive in the market?

I'm presently in an environment where expats are being retrenched left right and centre, most of them being of the kind who put in their maximum for minimum in return. Obviously their loyalty was misplaced. The day of a paternalistic kind of environment where the employer looks after his employees is long gone. It's a new deal, and people probably have to look better after themselves. Not stealing of course, but negotiate a better deal for themselves.

Every time they do that here it just prices them out of the market and more employers go offshore.
deanhills
nickfyoung wrote:
deanhills wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:

Every time they do that here it just prices them out of the market and more employers go offshore.
True. But if they under price themselves, like I've pointed out in my current work environment, they may not last either. And the off shore scenario is not going to last indefinitely either. Some of the Governments in the off shore countries are wisening up to this kind of exploitation. Particularly from an environmental point of view as well.
BigGeek
deanhills wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:
deanhills wrote:
nickfyoung wrote:

True. But if they under price themselves, like I've pointed out in my current work environment, they may not last either. And the off shore scenario is not going to last indefinitely either. Some of the Governments in the off shore countries are wisening up to this kind of exploitation. Particularly from an environmental point of view as well.

This is the same thing that is happening to me at present. In 2009 I was laid off from my job with AT&T as a Senior Network Engineer making around 100K a year. To stay employed I have had to accept around 65K a year and it has gone from 50 hour a week job to 70 hours plus with lots of travel. If I try and push for more money, they will fire me and hire someone for less, if I don't put in the hours necessary to get the job done, they will fire me and look for someone else that will get the job done for the same pay.

Employers do exactly that look to maximize the output of the employees for a little financial outlay as possible. Plus the benefits are a lot less with the smaller company and less pay.

As far as any employers lending me money or helping out with the financial hardships this has caused me.....forget about that, they are too busy cutting costs and griping about expenditures to ever think of that option.

As far as employees stealing goes, that is criminal even if you tempted them or not. I am experiencing financial hardships, and I have access to hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment that I could easily sell. Stealing from my employer is not an option, for any reason, and I suggest that they should be fired for doing so. Just because you were nice to them does not give them the right to steal from you or anyone else. That's just wrong!! IMO!!
zimmer
Corruption can lead to dissaster. In this time you take control of it. Executive dission must be implemented.
deanhills
BigGeek wrote:
As far as employees stealing goes, that is criminal even if you tempted them or not. I am experiencing financial hardships, and I have access to hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment that I could easily sell. Stealing from my employer is not an option, for any reason, and I suggest that they should be fired for doing so. Just because you were nice to them does not give them the right to steal from you or anyone else. That's just wrong!! IMO!!
That is true of course. Would be great if when an expat travels abroad they're not seen as wealthy, as I think in some of the poor countries in the world, thieves probably see that as part of their income.
bukaida
Helping others is a nice and kind habit, every human should have ( although a rare quality now). But you should be careful because the world is not always as good as you see. It is not rightful to loose faith on entire human race but trust them with care.