FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Don Brown - The Da Vinci Code FOR and AGAINST

mtx
FOR

Quote:
"Amazon tells us that people who bought The Da Vinci Code also bought The Secret Life of Bees, Seabiscuit, Life of Pi, The Five People You Meet in Heaven and A Short History of Nearly Everything.

In short, Dan Brown's fans are renaissance individuals inquiring intellects able to discourse on anything from horseracing to fractions. They were not that way before they finished the book. They were shallow hedonists, seeking a light read for the plane or the loo. Then the plot captured them and, before they knew it, they'd become religious historians, cryptographers, Arthurian scholars, and feminists burning to avenge an ancient injustice.

Those who criticise the writing in The Da Vinci Code have never read Brown's previous novel, Angels and Demons . It has the same hero, symbologist Robert Langdon , but there he works for the Catholic Church, not against it. Near the end he jumps out of a plane without a parachute and survives. "Idiotic" comes to mind for the plot, and "quantum leap" for the improvement in Brown's writing since then. But literary style is not the point. The quest is all that matters. Everyone to whom I've lent the book has moved straight on to Google to check how much of it could be true. I won't spoil it by telling you what they learned, but you'll be surprised."

AGAINST

Quote:
"The Da Vinci Code. Humph. What an eye-rolling crock of a novel.

Dan Brown's bestselling thriller has a celebrity academic and his cryptologist friend pitted against various Catholic sects charged with protecting the Holy Grail. The Holy Grail in this instance is Mary Magdalene, Christ's consort and bearer of his children.

Brown defames Catholicism as a 2000-year-old misogynistic conspiracy hell-bent on suppressing goddess worship but that doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is the pseudo-intellectual claptrap he uses to support his fantasy.

Consider his take on medieval Gothic architecture: ``a cathedral's long, hollow nave [is] a secret tribute to a woman's womb complete with receding labial ridges and a nice little cinquefoil clitoris above the doorway''. Oh, please.

This is just one banger in a minefield of historical inaccuracy that quickly becomes both ridiculous and dull.

If The Da Vinci Code's characters, dialogue and plot development were less flaccid or formulaic, one might forgive some of its silliness. But if Brown wants forgiveness, he'll have to look to whatever higher power still takes an interest."

<edit: quoted the text, please do this in the future>
gh0stface
This is an obviously cut-n-paste article... Next time please give proper credit to the sources you found this from and not pawn it off as your own.

http://www.abc.net.au/myfavouritebook/for_against/davinchicode.htm

So are you for or against his novels?

I am going to leave it for now...
SagMan
I really thonk I saw it somewhere else..
However, thank you for this article...
mtx
when I would put the link almost no one would come and see it, because it is usually too hard to go some where else, than this forum (belive me), so I put it here, to see any comments, because I'm writing a book about it, so every note is for me very useful...
JaeCee
He's a good writer, but a bit misguided on the 'facts' he speaks about. Especially in the Da Vinci Code.
shabda
Well I think Im against it. For me its streaching the facts a bit too far. Also read his digital fortress. Even more boring. Its about cryptography, but I knew enough cryptography too understand it was implausible.
Tiger
An interesting read, and while not everything is true and correct - it's a novel after all - he does have some real facts in there.

If you look up "The Last Supper" at Wikipedia, you will see that the person seated at Christ's right hand (the viewer's left) is actually a woman, as mentioned in the book.

As for the Holy Grail being Mary's Magdelene's womb, well who knows where the orginal legend of the Holy Grail really started, and what it really meant? Perhaps the whole thing was nothing more than legend (Arthurian legend especially), perhaps it has some truth. The bit about the origin of Tarot cards (to teach players about the divine feminine) was interesting to read.

The fact of the matter is that early Christianity was not as unified as people think, and even the New Testament itself reveals disputes amongst the Apostles and other groups. It is well known, even in Christian theological circles that documents like "The Shepherd of Hermas" and the letters of Clement were viewed as equal to the Gospels and read daily by many ancient Christians. Also, there were dozens of different gospels around, which also makes sense, since although there were only 12 Apostles, there were hundreds of disciples who followed Jesus around during his ministry.

After Jesus death, the Apostles literally spread out far and wide - with St. Thomas even going to India and establishing a church there - a church that was eventually wiped about by the Portuguese (Catholics) because the version of Christianity they found differed from their own! Many in the Indian Church believed that Jesus and Mary were a couple!

Then consider that the Bible itself is full of mystery, astrology, numerology and symbolism. And some Christians consider the Gospel of John to be somewhat "Gnostic" in nature. A definitive canon was first suggested in 150 AD, with the current Catholic canon only being approved in 1546.

For those who think the Bible is the pure, unadulterated Word of God, take a look at the Wikipedia article "Comma Johanneum". It discusses a 16th century addition to the Bible text, which has been kept to this day, even though it differs from the original.

So I am neither for nor against Mr. Brown's book. He is a writer who has merged fiction with fact to produce a thrilling read. What each reader believes is up to them!
igor123d
I read the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and I greatly enjoyed the book. The plot is extremely fluid and captivating to the point that I could not lay the book down until I had finished it. Nevertheless, after some reasearch I was distraught to discover that the book was exactly what its the title of the genre implied: fiction. Very few of the "historic" facts contained any level of veracity. Furthermore, a few days after finishing the book when I reanalyzed its content, I realized that though the book can be interesting for a brief period of time, it does not represent high literature. Perhaps the book's popularity will transcend future decades, however I have great doubts that it will reach a venerable status among other great works of its genre.