FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can I access a Linux box with no Monitor.

Possum
Hi

I want to have a Linux box ( Raspberry Pi ) and access it thru a network. But have no monitor on it..

Is there a App that I can use to do this...

thx...
Mr_Howl
SSH.

I'm fairly certain that the default Pi image (Rasbian) comes with the SSH server enabled by default. Connect it to your network, then log in to your router to find out which IP it was assigned. Using an SSH client, connect to that IP. The default username is 'pi' and the default password is 'raspberry', IIRC.

If SSH is not enabled by default, you will need to hook it up to a monitor or a TV just one time to enable it, and then you can use it "headless."

If you're on Windows, probably the best SSH client is PuTTY: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

For Linux, I believe every distribution comes with the ssh program installed. Just open a terminal and type: ssh pi@XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX [Replacing with your IP, of course].

SSH gives you a command line interface. If you want to use graphical applications, you'll have to use X11 forwarding or set up a VNC server on the Pi. (For X11 on Windows, you'll need Xming. It's very easy to use and integrates smoothly with PuTTY.)
bahba
Good to know that Raspberry PI comes with the ssh program installed. To ssh connection Putty are the best one.
Bahba
sysna
Yes ssh is the best method to access it and fortunately it comes with the box so it makes your work a lot more easier.
cabenqc
for sure SSH is the King.

In business world, we don't mind quick but dirty solution, we use
Webmin http://www.webmin.com/
cabenqc
Possum, I remember those.
They are on top of my roof in Aussie.
Just before sunset, they awake and ready to go out.
Just before sunrise, they back.
They're smart.
freepgu
Yea!
Use ssh or vnc to connect with shell or gui!
Simonjw
All Linux server editions will come prepacked with SSH and I am pretty sure it will be for Linux distributions with a GUI attached as well.

You can use PuTTy to SSH into your box and work your magic from there. It is a really awesome way to learn to use Linux rather than using a GUI or terminal within a GUI on the actual machine. There is a place for both GUI and remote sysadmin these days, so don't think that it should be your only form of setting the system up. That is all dependent on what you are using your Linux box for.

I hope this helped somewhat.

Simon
deanhills
Great to see you back Simon. Agreed about PuTTy, it's like a gateway from Windows into Linux, and the easiest way to get in. I received my first VPS over Christmas last year - as a gift - and since it was Linux based had to buckle down and learn some of it. PuTTy was the easiest way for me to get in. What's nice too is that there is plenty of documentation on the Web with step by step instructions. Impossible to go wrong, and if one did go wrong, also step by step tutorials to get out of the jam.
Possum
cabenqc wrote:
Possum, I remember those.
They are on top of my roof in Aussie.
Just before sunset, they awake and ready to go out.
Just before sunrise, they back.
They're smart.

YES: You are exactly right. Im in New Zealand but we have Possum here. Apparently they hitched a ride over here about 150 years ago. And yes: They love to play on roofs. When I'n in the bush and the Possums are on the Roof. I'm just glad they are Possums else IM in Deep XFiles trouble..
Simonjw
deanhills wrote:
Great to see you back Simon. Agreed about PuTTy, it's like a gateway from Windows into Linux, and the easiest way to get in. I received my first VPS over Christmas last year - as a gift - and since it was Linux based had to buckle down and learn some of it. PuTTy was the easiest way for me to get in. What's nice too is that there is plenty of documentation on the Web with step by step instructions. Impossible to go wrong, and if one did go wrong, also step by step tutorials to get out of the jam.

Great to be back Dean.

It's great to see more and more people latching onto Linux due to whatever reasons. The more people decide to get on the band wagon the better it will become, hell we can do everything with Linux now including gaming and we all know that's what everyone has been waiting for Wink.

That's the awesomeness of the WWW, there are resources for anything and everything no matter one's skill set/level. I enjoy Linux a lot due to it's complexity, but also because it is simple at the same time. The things one is capable of with Linux on literally any hardware makes it a product the whole world should know and love.

I wish you well on your quest to Linux guru Smile

Simon