FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


I am American...





S3nd K3ys
... without reservation or hyphen. My family first came to this country before 1640, and for better or worse, we built it. I know my ancestors came from Europe, some from England, some from the Celtic countries, and a few were (ack) French Canadian, but beyond that I don't know or really care since that does not define me. I'm a mutt, and my culture is nothing other than American.

Got a problem with that? Tough. Some of my ancestors probably sent some of my other ancestors down the Trail of Tears. A few may have owned slaves (most were likely too poor), and I know for a fact that some fought on both sides of the Civil War. I don't owe anyone a handout or an apology based on what a DNA-contributor I never knew may or may not have done, in a previous time. I'm here now, you're here now, and all I owe you is to treat you decently as a fellow human being and American. If you want any more than that from me, you're going to have to earn it.

If you weren't born here, you DO owe ME and all other natural-born citizens something, and that is to not come here and ruin our good gig. America often incorporates bits and pieces from immigrant cultures into her own, but that doesn't mean other cultures are on a same plane here. You need to learn to communicate in English, and you need to accept our customs and obey our laws. If you are offended by a Christmas tree, then go somewhere where Christmas is not celebrated, because it is here. Most Americans are Christians, culturally if not religiously, and while we won't make you convert to come here and live with us, you damn well aren't going to come here and tell us we must hide our religious culture because it offends you. If you want to fly a flag on your house or car then make it ours. If you aren't willing to respect American culture, and assimilate into it, then you are what is known as a bigot and we are better off without you here.

Once you are here, much as I don't really care where my own family came from centuries ago, I don't care where you or yours came from either. Don't tell me I have to give you special treatment because you're an oppressed ________-American and you are therefore owed a handicap in the game of life. You are owed nothing more than opportunity, and although the playing field is not always completely level, you will find more opportunity in America than anywhere else. Your failure to take advantage of the opportunities available is no one's problem but your own.

If you don't like those facts of life, if you aren't here to be an American, one of the freedoms that America provides is the freedom to leave it and go somewhere else.
Boles Roor
I totally understand what you say, even if I'm not an American. It's all the same everywhere sadly. When new cultures arive in you country, some expect to live by their standards.

When that happens, all you want is to smack them with rotten fish :/
S3nd K3ys
Boles Roor wrote:
...It's all the same everywhere sadly. When new cultures arive in you country, some expect to live by their standards.


True. Look what's happening in France. Rioting continues for the 6th night in a row

France has a low birthrate, wide open borders and they don't assimilate thier immigrants.

They are in serious trouble.

a less PC assesment of the problem
earthchild
I am also American and I strongly disagree
S3nd K3ys
earthchild wrote:
I am also American and I strongly disagree


That's ok, this thread isn't about YOU. Wink
earthchild
Does that mean it is only about you then?
S3nd K3ys
earthchild wrote:
Does that mean it is only about you then?


Perhaps you noticed the title?
earthchild
when you use the term American in your title and identify yourself primarily with that terminology - you immediately make it about every American.

So I am compelled to strongly disagree with your view, lest you misrepresent all of America.

(would you rather I say, "excuse me your majesty for imposing on your sacred and most superior of opinions" ? because that is what it sounds like you would have me say)

So I repeat, as an American, I strongly disagree.
S3nd K3ys
earthchild wrote:


So I am compelled to strongly disagree with your view, lest you misrepresent all of America.


Misrepresent all of America?

How, exactally, do you know I am misrepresenting all of America? Do you have some magical moonbat tin-foil hat which runs on kool-aid that told you all of America thinks the way you do?

Seriously. I really don't care how strongly you disagree with me.

/me gets out the rotten fish... Shocked
earthchild
My post was not meant to engage you in an argument, but to prove that not all Americans think like you do (just like all Americans aren't going to think like me)

If you want me to leave this post alone and let you rant in peace then you should change your title
Billy Hill
What you have written I feel to very core of my being. All the people I know feel this way as well. It is so sad that the people who hold the idea of being truly American do not govern this great country of ours. I salute you and your words of wisdom. My only wish is that I could state them as eloquently as you.

Great post.

earthchild wrote:
My post was not meant to engage you in an argument, but to prove that not all Americans think like you do (just like all Americans aren't going to think like me)

If you want me to leave this post alone and let you rant in peace then you should change your title


Sure seems to me, considering the thread you started to do just that, that you DO want to engage him, otherwise you wouldn't have even posted here. Very pathetic indeed! Not only that, but now you want him to change his title? More Lieberal supression of free speach? You don't agree so you want him to change what he said/believes?

Give it a break, dude! What he said holds true for just about EVERYONE I know. (And at my age, that's a lot of people.)

So why don't you do us all a favor and go rant in your own thread instead of trying to insite hostility in this one.

Also...

Quote:
How, exactally, do you know I am misrepresenting all of America? Do you have some magical moonbat tin-foil hat which runs on kool-aid that told you all of America thinks the way you do?


I notice you conveniently refused to answer K3ys' question.
illini319
S3nd K3ys wrote:
If you weren't born here, you DO owe ME and all other natural-born citizens something, and that is to not come here and ruin our good gig.


I generally agree with most of what you said although this particular statement quoted above was a bit disconcerting. Every 'wrong', every 'right' as a collective has shaped our country as it is today. was it wrong that slavery existed? to slaves, yes. to slave owners (at the time), obviously not. Did slavery, as an industry, help make this country what it is today. Absolutely. without slavery, the south may never have been settled as it was.. and who knows what the impact of that would have been. (no tobacco, no cotton, no cash crops = no economic reason for colonization and eventual settlement)

So to be more direct: Everything you, as a citizen, deem to be 'ruining our gig' is short-sighted because someone else may feel the complete opposite. And neither of you are right. There are no absolute rights and wrongs, because ultimately things will go one way or another and our country will go on. Hysteresis will make sure of that.

Our strength is in our diversity. And there is only one thing that people, who call themselves citizens of this country, should not be 'diverse' about. And that is nationalism. I don't care if you burn the flag. I don't care if you make it your job to complain and list all the things that are wrong about this country and how much, if you were in charge, things would be different. All perfectly acceptable to me. BUT, when the sh#t hits the fan, and this country needs you (in whatever capacity), you better be on that line. Otherwise, what are you doing here?
odinstag
S3nd K3ys wrote:
... without reservation or hyphen. My family first came to this country before 1640, and for better or worse, we built it. I know my ancestors came from Europe, some from England, some from the Celtic countries, and a few were (ack) French Canadian, but beyond that I don't know or really care since that does not define me. I'm a mutt, and my culture is nothing other than American.

Got a problem with that? Tough. Some of my ancestors probably sent some of my other ancestors down the Trail of Tears. A few may have owned slaves (most were likely too poor), and I know for a fact that some fought on both sides of the Civil War. I don't owe anyone a handout or an apology based on what a DNA-contributor I never knew may or may not have done, in a previous time. I'm here now, you're here now, and all I owe you is to treat you decently as a fellow human being and American. If you want any more than that from me, you're going to have to earn it.

If you weren't born here, you DO owe ME and all other natural-born citizens something, and that is to not come here and ruin our good gig. America often incorporates bits and pieces from immigrant cultures into her own, but that doesn't mean other cultures are on a same plane here. You need to learn to communicate in English, and you need to accept our customs and obey our laws. If you are offended by a Christmas tree, then go somewhere where Christmas is not celebrated, because it is here. Most Americans are Christians, culturally if not religiously, and while we won't make you convert to come here and live with us, you damn well aren't going to come here and tell us we must hide our religious culture because it offends you. If you want to fly a flag on your house or car then make it ours. If you aren't willing to respect American culture, and assimilate into it, then you are what is known as a bigot and we are better off without you here.

Once you are here, much as I don't really care where my own family came from centuries ago, I don't care where you or yours came from either. Don't tell me I have to give you special treatment because you're an oppressed ________-American and you are therefore owed a handicap in the game of life. You are owed nothing more than opportunity, and although the playing field is not always completely level, you will find more opportunity in America than anywhere else. Your failure to take advantage of the opportunities available is no one's problem but your own.

If you don't like those facts of life, if you aren't here to be an American, one of the freedoms that America provides is the freedom to leave it and go somewhere else.


Very good for you. Stand up for what you believe.

I believe much the same things. America is live or die, man. Not hold your hand out and cry about your long gone past oppression. America is about making a future for yourself out of sweat and tears.
abhinav
Well every person is having there own opinion.
and naturally there will be dis-similarity again and again.

Its upon you...

Well keep the talk go on
S3nd K3ys
illini393 wrote:
Not hold your hand out and cry about your long gone past oppression. America is about making a future for yourself out of sweat and tears.


That's right. You are guarenteed the opportunity, not the outcome. If you want to succeed, you can. But it's completely up to you.

earthchild wrote:
...

If you want me to leave this post alone and let you rant in peace then you should change your title


That's a joke, right? Shocked You're pathetic. Seriously.

You come in here to start shit in my thread, then you start a new thread named the same thing to try to start more shit, then you rename your thread becuase you KNOW you're being an ass by starting it, then you come back here saying you don't agree with me so you would have me change what I've said?

Rolling Eyes
Jack_Hammer
I'm English, through and through, and damn proud.
Wink
Jack_Hammer
Quote:
Americas a great place, shame about the people.
planet
K3ys,

AMEN to that amigo, very well said and isn't it just universal ?
Could that be the "mantra" across the Globe and adhered to, many problems might not appear at all.
Merry Christmass to ya friend =))
atomictoyz
S3nd K3ys wrote:
... without reservation or hyphen. My family first came to this country before 1640, and for better or worse, we built it. I know my ancestors came from Europe, some from England, some from the Celtic countries, and a few were (ack) French Canadian, but beyond that I don't know or really care since that does not define me. I'm a mutt, and my culture is nothing other than American.


I think were related Smile

On my dads side of the family.
My ancestors were Celtic Warriors who appeared on the landscape of England in the first Millenium or there abouts. We were given our own chunk of land and became Allies with Several Kings during the first of the Crusades. Swordsmen and Knights mostly. Royalty at some points in time.

Rumors are we fled England because of King Henry the 8th was not happy with the family. Who knows really.

My moms side is mostly French Peasants.

When I look at my ancestory I see the Name associated with Skull and Bones and other powerful secret societies having great power and control over the poor.

Definitely my ancestors are among the same breed as the founding fathers and most likely rubbed elbows and getting drunk.

Overtime the family became less and less religious and more and more liberal capitalist who raped and squandered whatever.

Then there is me...

The black sheep of the whole kit and kaboodle. Exiled because I returned to the fundamental religion of the first century Christians. Yet feared because I was trained with the heart of the assassins who used swords for negotiating.

I am on the other hand am not an "American" as some would put it. Just a Christian who sheds himself of culture and country.

But if any dimwitted person(group) tries to change the US to the point where my religious freedom is threatened, I will defend the Country which my fathers built with blood, the blood they shed to make sure you nad I had had the right to worship as we pleased. SO in short, it is my family duty to continue the battle which keeps America free so that you can slander and complain about it.

Personally I don't think most folks REALLY want a revolution because they don't like some Presidents policy. Talk is cheap.

Peace,
Atomic
earthchild
S3nd K3ys wrote:
earthchild wrote:
...

If you want me to leave this post alone and let you rant in peace then you should change your title


That's a joke, right? Shocked You're pathetic. Seriously.

You come in here to start shit in my thread, then you start a new thread named the same thing to try to start more shit, then you rename your thread becuase you KNOW you're being an *** by starting it, then you come back here saying you don't agree with me so you would have me change what I've said?

Rolling Eyes


here is the breakdown

I disagree with what you said and consider the attitude entertained to be one of the roots of society's problems.

I believe I have a moral responsibility to disagree with the contempt against others you choose to spew forth. That is the only reason I posted in this thread and created another one. (I happen to be a creative female and changing things around to improve them (like titles) is just one of my gigs.)

I don't have any personal vendetta against you. you are not that important to me. believe it or not, I actually hesitated before posting here because I knew what would probably happen. But still, it is important that people know - not all Americans think and feel like you do.

and really- name calling should be left behind after about 2nd grade.

It is amazing how the simple statement of I disagree can stir up such a ruckus.

P.S.
earthchild wrote:
...

If you want me to leave this post alone and let you rant in peace then you should change your title


I am American. That is true. I am. So if you didn't want Americans with differing opinions to post in your thread - a different title would have been more wise. That's all I am trying to say.
willywonka
Ya I tottaly understand waht your saying!
Related topics
What is your favourite movie?
The downfall of american society
American football
Family Guy or American Dad
anyone in the UK that is into American cars?
American Idiot: What's the Story?
Favorite American football team.
American Idol Cycle 5
American Idol
Does anyone like football?
American Man Shoots Boy For Walking on His Lawn!
American Inventor
Teaching English Abroad
American Inventor
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> General Chat

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.