FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Spoiler tag

Ankhanu
I notice that Frih is without a spoiler tag (or similar) allowing posters to post material that other users can choose whether to reveal or not based on their interest in the content. The tag is, I suppose, intended for discussing things like books and movies where plot elements may be revealed and spoil reading/watching for others, but are important for actual discussion of the topic for those who have, or aren't concerned with spoilers.
Additionally, the spoiler tag can be used to shorten the presentation of information on the page; notably within a quote tag or the like where large quantities of text or images (which have been presented elsewhere, or just to condense supporting material) are being referred to.

An example is found on another forum I frequent; here the tags are being used to hide a couple large photographs: http://shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1099841#1099841

Basically, the tag can help clean up threads without removing content, and allowing readers to access the content when desired, and collapse it when it's not.

There are several users who quote several paragraphs of text in order to respond to a single line or section of the quoted material; spoiler tags would allow that material to be collapsed and hidden away for casual readers, or readers who have already read the referred quote.

Just a thought.
truespeed
I think a spoiler tag is a good idea,most forums have them for the reasons you give. So they should really be added to frihost.
RosenCruz
Nice idea. I support it Wink
william
I wholeheartedly agree. Though, it has been suggested before and it didn't really get any attention from the administration. I suppose it's not a priority?

It could also be used for saving bandwidth.
deanhills
Great idea Ankhanu. In addition to all of the other benefits that have already been mentioned, it makes the posts more reader friendly as well.
Peterssidan
I don't like spoiler tags very much. It would probably be missuses and scrolling is much easier than having to click all over the place. If we add spoiler tags I think there should be an option to expand all spoiler tags by default.
foumy6
Peterssidan wrote:
I don't like spoiler tags very much. It would probably be missuses and scrolling is much easier than having to click all over the place. If we add spoiler tags I think there should be an option to expand all spoiler tags by default.

I agree with that. I think this is a great idea, but sadly we need to also think of all the way people will abuse it. Though what Peterssidan recommended could fix most of the problems.
Peterssidan
It is possible to hide text if you make the text white and put it inside quote tags. To view the text you just need to select the text.

Spoiler - Select the text to view what I wrote:
The text is hidden.
You can't see it.
:D
Ankhanu
Yeah, I've been doing that in a forum-based Star Wars RPG I'm playing, in which I'm playing a Wookiee; I type what my character says in white text, hiding it against the white background, since he can't use actual words Smile

But, that option doesn't collapse large blocks of text into an expandable button, nor does it hide images.