FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Alternative DNS root

twotrophy
Is it possible to create a different domain system but on the same Internet? For example, is it possible to build a 3rd party browser plugin or a special browser in order to access such domains? Also, how practical or hard would such a system be to create and maintain? The Tor network is an example which contains domain names only accessible by conntecting to the network but is it possible to build a decentralized system just like the World Wide Web?
badai
it all depend on on your dns and routers in your "Internet". your dns will give you whatever address it knew for that domain, and routers in your "Internet" will route you (if possible) to that address.

people has been using it all the time like what you mention (Tor), but eventually they have to join the mass because they want to post their food picture on facebook.
twotrophy
Quote:
In addition, several organizations operate alternative DNS roots, often referred to as alt roots. These alternative domain name systems operate their own root nameservers and administer their own specific name spaces consisting of custom top-level domains.

The Internet Architecture Board (IAB) has spoken out strongly against alternate roots in RFC 2826.

This shows that it is possible to build alternative DNS roots and that such roots exist although they are not common. The Internet Architecture Board is opposing such systems. Domain names such as .bit are only accessible when using a certain alternative DNS. WikiLeaks seems to be promoting these systems as well to bypass Internet censorship. An example of an alternative DNS root is opennicproject.org
LxGoodies
My twocents on the subject..

This can be done, twotrophy.. why not.. although it will be quite a challenge to get people using it and trusting it. When I install my computer, I fill in a single DNS service IP. Your alternative DNS can be used there, but it should pipe all requests for the regular internet onto a regular DNS. All browsing and https will go through your server that is : server network. For current DNS, the burden is spread among (very) many DNS nodes, that all backup each other.. for an alternative system you would need a similar infrastructure. In 5-6 years, you will find yourself designing certificates and registering DNS servers. They pay for that. In turn, these DNS customers will start to ask money to customers who want to register addresses, I'm afraid in the end, you will have a system that is very similar to the existing standard.And servers that support it should adhere to the law as any other company. I wonder if it would help to have TWO standards ?

Lx
twotrophy
LxGoodies wrote:

,They pay for that. In turn, these DNS customers will start to ask money to customers who want to register addresses, I'm afraid in the end, you will have a system that is very similar to the existing standard.And servers that support it should adhere to the law as any other company. I wonder if it would help to have TWO standards ?

Well, it would be great if I charge only a few dollars for such a domain name to prevent too many good domain names from being taken. However, my service would probably be non-profit if it ever starts up. However, I might want to build or encourage forums to offer such domains which is the reason of having a cheap price is to encourage services to offer them for free.

For the Whois data, it would probably just be a free space to describe whatever you want. I will not require any personal information. I am intending to make this DNS as clean as possible by monitoring every single domain on the system from time to time to prevent inappropriate, harmful or illegal content
that uses my service. Note that this is just a proposal, I am not very serious about building such a system although I want to do so in the future. Maybe people like Peterssidan would be able to explain to me how to do it.