FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The RuneScape of 2007 is back, is this a new trend?

IndieCthulhu
So oldschool runescape is back... with the graphics and everything... oldschool Lego graphics and gameplay... and guess what? People LOVE it...

Is this going to be a new trend? Oldschool WoW? And others?
wombatrpgs
Hm, I thought classic servers had existed for these for a while? Though I guess this a recent upswelling in official support.
IndieCthulhu
wombatrpgs wrote:
Hm, I thought classic servers had existed for these for a while? Though I guess this a recent upswelling in official support.

Private servers existed for years... illegally... but JaGeX themselves have released their own servers...
rx9876
That's interesting that people will go back to an rough graphics and gameplays.
I tried to play some old games myself, but I lost the interests soon.
There are some reasons :
the GUIs are not convenient, the stories are already known, the textures are hurting my eyes, etc...

Is there any possibility that those people keep telling the glorious of the old times is just talking?

I played WOW since the cap was 45, and I saw some people keep telling the old raid instance,
but if there is a new 40 people raid instance now, how many people will enjoy that?
That's too tough for most players.
Versions upgraded for reasons.

Though I never played any version of Runescape,
but it make me wonder maybe the game company rolled back to an older version because the new version are not making more profits, but making more complains?
IndieCthulhu
rx9876 wrote:
That's interesting that people will go back to an rough graphics and gameplays.
I tried to play some old games myself, but I lost the interests soon.
There are some reasons :
the GUIs are not convenient, the stories are already known, the textures are hurting my eyes, etc...

Is there any possibility that those people keep telling the glorious of the old times is just talking?

I played WOW since the cap was 45, and I saw some people keep telling the old raid instance,
but if there is a new 40 people raid instance now, how many people will enjoy that?
That's too tough for most players.
Versions upgraded for reasons.

Though I never played any version of Runescape,
but it make me wonder maybe the game company rolled back to an older version because the new version are not making more profits, but making more complains?

Hmm, see as a avid RuneScape fan (it was my childhood) and i saw it grow from before this "oldschool" runescape to its current state...

What happened is that even though the new runescape has a very defined and very WoW like appearance, most people liked the oldschool graphics...

They also released a lot of "timesaving" features... which in the end just ruined the fun of runescape... you may as well have been playing an RTS with one character, not an RPG..

many people believe that 2007 was the best year for runescape.. and it was... i think jagex realized that they were going away from their peak, and needed to go back to what people loved and fix that up as it is...

Are there any games you play that updated so much it just wasn't the same game?
wombatrpgs
rx9876 wrote:

To be fair, even modern GUIs aren't convenient.
limpands
I started playing Runescape 2006 and i can just say that Jagex ruined the whole feeling of Runescape.

The graphics and updates is not what makes Runescape fun, it's the community; and Jagex has ruined the community totally.

That's why Runescape 2007 is brought back. People wan't the old feeling of Runescape.
wombatrpgs
limpands wrote:
I started playing Runescape 2006 and i can just say that Jagex ruined the whole feeling of Runescape.

The graphics and updates is not what makes Runescape fun, it's the community; and Jagex has ruined the community totally.

That's why Runescape 2007 is brought back. People wan't the old feeling of Runescape.

I don't know, communities tend to kill themselves. And having mostly stopped playing Runescape since 2007, it's kind of hard to imagine how the community could've gotten worse. But maybe I'm just cynical, haha.
rx9876
wombatrpgs wrote:
I don't know, communities tend to kill themselves. And having mostly stopped playing Runescape since 2007, it's kind of hard to imagine how the community could've gotten worse. But maybe I'm just cynical, haha.

It's true.
I stopped playing LOL years ago, because the most of the players are rude and uncivilized.
Even the people in a game without penalty and fee can be so impolite,
then you can image how the people behave in other games which cost money and (death) penalty.
wombatrpgs
rx9876 wrote:

It's true.
I stopped playing LOL years ago, because the most of the players are rude and uncivilized.
Even the people in a game without penalty and fee can be so impolite,
then you can image how the people behave in other games which cost money and (death) penalty.

Hn, maybe it's that the communities are always awful and one can only stand limited exposure...
bstgmz
for the best runescape private server you can see the list, and the runescape is back indeed and so much better
RosenCruz
Tried out the new version on browser a while ago. Not the game for my type. Wonder what is old version looks and acts like. Will try and see Wink