FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Double-layer DVD

Gregoric
Good daye everyone

I am in need for a disc that has more than 4,7 GB capacity and therefore I have few questions. Firstly, if I burn the double-layer DVD, will I be able to run it using normal, single-layer DVD stations or only the DL ones? Secondly, what is difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? Next one is, what is the dirrefence between double-layer and double-sided disc? Is the double-seded one literally burned on both sides of the disc? Which of them will I be able to burn using Super Multi DL drive? Is any of them less secure or durable than the others? I am willing to use the disc for time to time but less than dozen times a year.

Thank you for your answers, best regards
badai
which one is easier to read?

Quote:
all dvd drive can read dual layer dvd. +r is better. side is a side. the dvd got 2 sides. top and bottom. usually only the bottom side is used, while the top side is use for label. got it? "layer" is "area" in a side. single vs double layer can be visualize as single or double storey house. if 4 people can live in single storey house, maybe you can put 7 people in double storey house. so you can get single layer single side, double layer double side, single layer double side and double layer double side. but you will never get single layer at 1 side and double layer at the other side. you need to give us the brand and model of your uniquely built Super Multi DL drive. none of us have remote viewing ability. if you are talking about the disc and not the drive, yes. some disc are better than the other. refer here. or just go buy mitsubishi branded disc. none of them are more secure than the other. secure is the "soft" part, not the "hard" part. just don't bother to encrypt your data on disc. it will be impossible to recover even if 1 bit cannot be read when part of the disc become unreadable. it's fairly common for the disc to become unreadable in just weeks. unlike cd, you need to "finalise" your dvd when you burn it, which make it impossible to add more data. you can only write once to your disc. or are talking about using it to read the data in it? it doesn't matter how many time you want to use it, but how long you want to keep it. my experience, expecting a disc can be read after 1 year is kind of miracle. maybe because i don't store in cool dry place and out of reach of children.

Quote:
1. all dvd drive can read dual layer dvd

2. +r is better

3a. side is a side. the dvd got 2 sides. top and bottom. usually only the bottom side is used, while the top side is use for label. got it?

3b. "layer" is "area" in a side. single vs double layer can be visualize as single or double storey house. if 4 people can live in single storey house, maybe you can put 7 people in double storey house

3c. so you can get single layer single side, double layer double side, single layer double side and double layer double side. but you will never get single layer at 1 side and double layer at the other side.

4. you need to give us the brand and model of your uniquely built Super Multi DL drive. none of us have remote viewing ability.

5a. if you are talking about the disc and not the drive, yes. some disc are better than the other. refer here. or just go buy mitsubishi branded disc.

5b. none of them are more secure than the other. secure is the "soft" part, not the "hard" part. just don't bother to encrypt your data on disc. it will be impossible to recover even if 1 bit cannot be read when part of the disc become unreadable. it's fairly common for the disc to become unreadable in just weeks.

6. unlike cd, you need to "finalise" your dvd when you burn it, which make it impossible to add more data. you can only write once to your disc. or are talking about using it to read the data in it? it doesn't matter how many time you want to use it, but how long you want to keep it. my experience, expecting a disc can be read after 1 year is kind of miracle. maybe because i don't store in cool dry place and out of reach of children.
Gregoric
Thank you for the answer. Seems that I have no more questions. My model is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N SCSI CdRom Device but is should be able to burn double layer discs.

You said that your DVD disc had could hardly work for about a year - is it specific for double-layer discs? I have some DVD drives burned few years ago that work like a charm but - they are 4,7GB ones.
badai
i only use single layer. dual layer is too expensive for me.