FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why is it so difficult to lose weight and exercise regularly

raaeft1
Why is it so difficult to lose weight and exercise regularly?I cannot stick to diets and regular regimen. I am also too lazy to log in food eaten and exercise done in MyFitnessPal. Is this unique to me or do others also experience this lack of commitment to losing weight?
It has been my experience that I shed off weight when I eat everything in moderation instead of following a specific diet.
RosenCruz
After a while as you get older, especially after 25 years, your body metabolism slows down. Makes you vulnerable against calories, fat, etc. I recommend swimming and transportation by bus. Also avoiding fast food as much as possible will help a lot Wink
deanhills
raaeft1 wrote:
Why is it so difficult to lose weight and exercise regularly?I cannot stick to diets and regular regimen. I am also too lazy to log in food eaten and exercise done in MyFitnessPal. Is this unique to me or do others also experience this lack of commitment to losing weight?
It has been my experience that I shed off weight when I eat everything in moderation instead of following a specific diet.
What you are doing is probably not right for you. It's about committing to a different life style and one where what you eat fills you up enough so you can be satisfied without wanting to eat what is not good for you. And to commit to an exercise you love versus exercise you feel forced to do.

I changed to an animal protein diet in June of last year, versus mostly vegetarian that did not fill me up. I seem to have lost weight almost effortlessly. I combine it with regular walks, but without feeling guilty when I don't get to them. And doing fun things on holiday like swimming and diving. Maybe you could find a sport you really love doing as well. Quite a coincidence as the family I'm visiting in South Africa are following the same diet as I am and are getting the same results. We consciously moved away from bread and rice in our diets and get almost all of our carbs from vegetables.
foumy6
Over the summer I actually lost weight in a very strange way. I was working full time time third shift at McDonalds. Which may not sound like much, but it is extremely stressful. So I would normally get my break around midnight. Not having much choice I would end up eating McDonalds five days a week. I think the reason that I lost weight though is because of how much stress and work I had. Sure I could go into more detail about it, but I guess what I can really say is that for me I just ad to work hard. Luckily what I was eating didn't seem to matter.

The important thing to know is that everyones body is different, and in may be difficult to find what works for you. Keep at it, and with enough determination you will find wat you are looking for.
Peterssidan
raaeft1 wrote:
Why is it so difficult to lose weight and exercise regularly?
Because we are lazy and like to eat a lot by nature. This is very good when there is not so much food and we have to work hard to survive but not so good today when there are plenty of food and we don't have to do so much hard physical work to survive. We are living a lifestyle that we have not adapted to yet.

I have never been overweight so the only motivation for loosing weight I have had is that it might help me jump longer, run faster, etc. It can be very hard to eat in moderation, much easier to stop with something completely. I stopped eating sweets (candy, cookies, soft drinks, etc.) about 6 years ago but I don't think it has affected my weight very much because I compensate with other kind of food.

I know that I feel much better if I exercise regularly but that isn't enough to motivate me to exercise regularly. I like to compete, with myself and others, and that's my motivation. I know I have this running race at the end of the summer so I have to train a lot to do the results I want to do, or at least beat my old time.

Many people don't like to compete, probably because they see themselves as bad at it. You can always compete against yourself. If you find someone that is about as good as you are you could train together and spur each other. This could lead to competition between you but hopefully this can work as a motivation.

I have trained a lot together with my brother and that is always very motivating. If we don't want a sprint at the end we have to agree before we start that we should not race because otherwise that happens automatically. Even if he is at another place, knowing that he is training is motivating because I don't want to be worse than him when we meet next time.

If you are considering starting with a sport you should not just look at the sport itself, but also what training that is needed. I like to jump and run short distances but I think that strength training is quite boring and if I skip that part I will never get the strength needed to be really good (with my standards). Nowadays I do mostly distance running. The training is much easier to do. I just have go outside and run. I do actually skip the interval training that some people say you should do because I don't like it (I probably have excessively bad associations of the word "interval" from when I did track & field training and we did short uphill intervals. It often felt like I was going to vomit and sometimes I did.). Another good thing about running is that there are people doing it on all levels so you blend in more easily.

This is all from my experience. I have always thought running, climbing, jumping etc. is fun. Can all people learn to think it is fun? Well, I don't know but the hardest part for everyone is probably to get started. It's always heavier the first time after a long break no matter if it's running or pull-ups.

RosenCruz wrote:
I recommend swimming and transportation by bus.
What makes the bus so good? If you want to lose weight I would recommend a way of transportation that made you do the work, e.g. cycle, walk or run.
standready
Peterssidan wrote:
Because we are lazy and like to eat a lot by nature.

Bingo!!! As pointed out above, team up with someone who has similar goals. Oh, I have found that if I don't have food (especially junk foods) in the house, I don't eat it.
playfungames
I have been going through the same problem. I just crossed 25 and now I can notice my body fattening up. The thing is that I am also lazy to exercise, sit in a chair most of the time and for the physical activities that I do my diet to more than enough. So I have got some belly growing.

I have tried working out in a gym which I quit normally after 3 months. I also tried watching those youtube videos and doing all those exercises which promise to help you lose your body fat withing six weeks.

So our main problem is that we are lazy to follow through a schedule of exercise daily. I really hated when the next day came and I had to do those difficult exercises all the way again.

My suggestion for us lazy bones would be to eat less, walk/cycle when possible and do those crazy tiring exercises as much as we can.
Pande
foumy6 wrote:
...but I guess what I can really say is that for me I just ad to work hard. Luckily what I was eating didn't seem to matter.

How old are you? This probably just has to do with being healthy and young, I'm sure this will change and such a habit won't work in the future. Very Happy
Bluedoll
I think exercise is the best thing for you but there is a problem I guess - you need more fuel so therefore need to eat for it. It is the best way to loose but may take a little while to show improvement than strickly eating less. However you get weak if you don't eat enough and it is maybe hard on you.
Deline
I'm trying to lose weight with some exercises and eating less...Aparently this only works when you're not worried with it. -.-
Dharator
raaeft1 wrote:

When eating out, always choose the smallest portion size available. When we choose larger meals, most of us tend to eat past the point of hunger and in doing so consume more kilojoules than we need which contributes to weight gain.

Remember that if you are still hungry after choosing a smaller meal, you can always fill up with something else and enjoy a wider variety of tastes in the process.

Try to break unhealthy food associations.

Many of us get into the habit of enjoying unhealthy food and drink while we're doing everyday things like watching our favourite TV shows, visiting cinemas, going to our favourite club, etc.

Join a gym with a friend, this way you'll have a workout buddy, who can keep you motivated and keep you company while you get used to the gym environment and exercising regularly.

Vary your exercise.

In addition to helping us avoid boredom, adding variety to our exercise program actually helps us lose more weight and become fitter.

When we perform the same exercises at the same intensity, our bodies get used to our routine and stops responding. Muscles only get stronger when they need to adapt. By changing exercises and the order in which we do them, we keep our body guessing and force it to respond and adapt.
Pande
Get into a group for exercise, nothing makes you actually do it better than that. Start with a running group, maybe a gym group, outdoor workout group in summer, etc
raaeft1
Journos are fed lots of free food in the press gallery of the State Assembly.The food is mostly fried and full of oil.
What I am doing this year is to fill a plate; eat it, drink lots of water or soup or tea with it and avoid refilling the plate.I see my colleagues refilling their plates umpteen times and hogging.

Some colleagues have noticed the change in my eating style and they fail in forcing me to eat more.
zimmer
By my case, i am overload with schedules in work and in home.

I love excersise i live with it, i like more physical activities such as outdoor games but with my heavy schedule every day it so hard to manage it.

I tried excersise inserted on my heavy schedule but i am not productive at work i get sleppy so i did it only at weekend. I know its not enough but hopefully by April i can do it as a routine.

Happy leaving Very Happy
RoylanM
I think it's because of time. We have work lives and personal ones too. Sometimes we just don't have time to work out or even get a good meal. If only we had more time in our everyday lives.
Da Rossa
There is no easy path to weight loss. But it is good and necessary. Even if you do a stomach reduction you'll have to adapt to a brave new diet. It will be all about force of will. Sorry but there is no magic formula.
grofet
You have to realize that for some people fat is permanent and to become slim it should have got serious health problems. The most important is stay healthy with healthy way of life.
Da Rossa
But being fat is now considered to be a disease on its own. It's both cause and consequence of other health problems, including psychiatric.
inuyasha
It's difficult to exercise regularly for me because I'm just not interested in any kind of sports at all. I think it would be also hard for me to lose weight.
But currently my problems is to gain weight.
Mad 15 kilograms lighter than normal.
Da Rossa
inuyasha wrote:
It's difficult to exercise regularly for me because I'm just not interested in any kind of sports at all. I think it would be also hard for me to lose weight.

That's a lot of mass below the normal. You should seek professional advice and get on a weight-gain diet.
LxGoodies
inuyasha wrote:

I feel so jealous of that, inuyasha.. I'm about 15-20 above target atm.. and I recently stopped smoking, which made my problem worse ! +5, +7 in a few months... People around me start to notice it and I find that sooooo embarrassing. btw I'm well above 25..

Lx Crying or Very sad
deanhills
LxGoodies wrote:
inuyasha wrote:

I feel so jealous of that, inuyasha.. I'm about 15-20 above target atm.. and I recently stopped smoking, which made my problem worse ! +5, +7 in a few months... People around me start to notice it and I find that sooooo embarrassing. btw I'm well above 25..

Lx Crying or Very sad
When I was on holiday a friend of my sisters had gone through the same thing. She gained a good amount of weight. She actually started smoking again. Wonder whether there is a link between nicotine and weight loss. Has to be. Is there another way one could consume nicotine, i.e. other than the patches? Just think about it. One could name it something different and start a whole weight loss business. Write a book of how the discovery led to great weight loss, and put in some photos for comparison, a diet and an exercise plan. Together with marketing this new wonder "drug"!
LxGoodies
hi @DeanHills,

Choice between two bad things ? I wonder what would cause more desease, a +5+10 overweight or smoking.. and in fact I don't think it's the nicotine that causes the gain. It's "oral obsession" for me that is.. gotta have something in my mouth and stop smoking lets me eat more cookies, hehehe. For me, the nicotine patches did not help at all. In the evening they started to itch, I got them off and lighted one up.. maybe electric sigarettes would do the job ? Recently they offered electric cigarettes to me in an airplane and I took one.. strange experience.. I did not feel I was actually smoking.. but in the evening I wanted to smoke again.. after 4 months ! I opened (another) pack of potato chips instead. Replacement. Chew chew crunch chew chew

Lx
Peterssidan
LxGoodies wrote:
I wonder what would cause more desease, a +5+10 overweight or smoking..

I read some news about this not long ago...

Here it is: Quitting smoking 'cuts heart risk despite weight gain'
And here is the original source: Association of Smoking Cessation and Weight Change With Cardiovascular Disease Among Adults With and Without Diabetes