FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you collect rocks?

lovescience
Do you collect rocks?
badai
no, rocks collect me. especially small rocks. they collectively work together to collect me but i am that big bad giant and eventually they have to abandon some of their friends in my shoe sole. coward!
likeabreeze
What do you mean by "rocks"?
Peterssidan
I'm not a collector but I have a few fossils.
Bluedoll
I like doing that as a passtime but don't take it too serious. In the summer time on walks along a beach if I see something I'll pick it up. I do have a collection of interesting ones.
Vanilla
I collect. I can say that I'm pretty proud of my collection, since it used to be sponsored by my father. He had an amethyst mine and he always brought amethysts to me that he couldn't sell or were just interesting but didn't worth much. As a result, my collection is basically made of amethysts. I also have lots of different types of quartz crystal, some emeralds, citrine, titanite...

(this is where I decided to take pics of my collection)

Those are the big ones. The bottom-left ones are not valuable, they just have an interesting shape and that's why I've added them to the collection. Bottom-left, the round one is really light and my dad use to call it "pidgeon egg". It really is a rock, but a VERY light one. To the right, this rock was found in a shallow river by my father and it looks like a horse hoof. This rock was polished by the water and tis really smooth.

Indian ax heads! Can you believe they were used as door stoppers? To be fair, only the left one was a door stopper, the right one was used to smash garlic cloves by my mom. These ax heads were in the house where we first lived when we moved to Bolivia. Maybe the previous owner left them.

A huge fume quartz crystal and smaller ones. I was trying to show that the quartz is not completely opaque, but I think I failed. Very Happy

This is a calcite rhomb and it works just like a prism. I was trying to show the rainbow inside it.

Some of my amethysts! Size comparison with my hand (difficult to hold it with just one hand, the thing is HEAVY). To the right you can see a Bolivianite or ametrine, which is a a bi-color amethyst. The name ametrine is because tis half amethyst and half citrine.

Cut amethysts. The square one (that's a baguette cut) I carry with me inside my purse. If you pay attention, you'll see tis a Bolivianite, it has hints of yellow inside the purple. Left: just amethysts. Right: just citrines. In the middle: uncut stone. The right pic is a detail of the citrines. They look like they're on fire. Beautiful.

This is a titanite. The first pic looks like tis not properly focused, but the truth is this is not a good quality gem. Because of that, the light would not be properly reflected.

I don't know what these are hahaha! Sorry about that. Just some pretty gems already cut. Very Happy

Pictured: emeralds and le me trying to be funny. Razz

Sorry about the huge post! I really love to talk about gems. Very Happy
fuzzkaizer
Wow, that's a nice collection, also something to learn about some minerals!

My Grandfather had a quite a huge collection of rocks, but rather fancy rocks, some of them also minerals, and only a few that would have some 'real' value. I always liked those rocks of fancy shape, and as a child, i also collected interesting rocks. Now my father is collecting rocks in his garden, they are quite big, errant rocks, which drifted into our region during the ice ages. They are sort of granite, while he lives in a chalc-region. It's rather a flintstones thing he does there.
Myself, I collected lots of things once in a while, but at the moment it is definitely not rocks. Nevertheless my children have started collecting rocks, mostly fossile stuff, and leave them lying around in our habitation... So still I live in a rock-collectors-family!
Vanilla
fuzzkaizer wrote:
Wow, that's a nice collection, also something to learn about some minerals!

My Grandfather had a quite a huge collection of rocks, but rather fancy rocks, some of them also minerals, and only a few that would have some 'real' value. I always liked those rocks of fancy shape, and as a child, i also collected interesting rocks. Now my father is collecting rocks in his garden, they are quite big, errant rocks, which drifted into our region during the ice ages. They are sort of granite, while he lives in a chalc-region. It's rather a flintstones thing he does there.
Myself, I collected lots of things once in a while, but at the moment it is definitely not rocks. Nevertheless my children have started collecting rocks, mostly fossile stuff, and leave them lying around in our habitation... So still I live in a rock-collectors-family!

Awesome! When I was a kid, I collected stuff that I thought being interesting rather than valuable. My grandpa lives in a farm and there's a dam in his property. The dam broke quite often haha, and it revealed lots of different rocks that used to be under water. Nothing compared to huge ice age rocks, mostly small, round and white pebbles. I would love to see some of your fossils!
limpands
I don't really collect anything. When i was younger i collected capsules from different bottles. I had more than 1000.
nickfyoung
Vanilla... Nice collection.

Australia has similar collections of all sorts of precious stones including diamonds. Each state seems to have it's own collections.

Used to know a guy who knew where to find stones from all over and he had two suitcases full of precious stones. He would make up jewellery to order and had the stones on hand to make a tidy living. He reckoned there was $2M worth in those two suitcases until one day someone stole them from his car.

He could have made the trip round Australia and restocked but reckoned he was too old so gave it away. It can be a fascinating hobby and I have always been interested in getting in to it but have never got round to it.
Insanity
Remember pet rocks way back then? What was that all about?
dude_xyx
My friend used to collect small gem stones. You can buy those from E-bay for cheap. Most of those gems are from India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, China and Madagascar.
LxGoodies
Owww that's a nice collection Vanilla !

Vanilla wrote:
Indian ax heads! Can you believe they were used as door stoppers? To be fair, only the left one was a door stopper, the right one was used to smash garlic cloves by my mom. These ax heads were in the house where we first lived when we moved to Bolivia. Maybe the previous owner left them.

The two examples you show look really neat ! Now where I live, in the Netherlands, quite similar tools are found, dating back around 4000-6000 years. We call them "polished axes".

This is a Greek (that is Macedonian) find, shown on this page

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithicum

(you'll probably need a translator for it.. Wink )

Lx
appsapps
I used to collect them when I was a kid. I had many cigar boxes full of them, each labeled with a number and had a hand written index card that went with it, with info about each rock (what it was, when and where I found it, etc.)

I had one box that was full of just arrowheads that I found on my great-aunt's farm...and another full of triangular rocks with a hole in the middle.
coolclay
Vanilla, that's a pretty decent collection you got there! Have you and your father found most of them or do you buy them? I collect as well, most focus on fossils, even though I've got some decent clear quartz, amethyst, pyrite, limonite, and garnets I have found myself.

Just a question are your citrines natural or did you make them from your amethyst? Also where did you get your gems cut?

I got a few of my clear quartz, and garnets cut into gems and they turned out very beautiful. The plan is to use them in an engagement ring for someone special I know! They are also quite rare because you see they were found by yours truly on a remote island in the Pacific (Santa Catalina Island), where my girlfriend and I met.

But my fossil collection is pretty massive, and consists of tons of boxes filling an entire shed! Mostly Carboniferous plants, Eocene marine, Miocene marine, and Devonian marine. But a few bits and pieces of other cool stuff like triassic fish and miocene plants too. [/img]
Iceaxe0410
I don't think I'd probably ever start collecting rocks unless if I knew exactly what they were. It might be that I just watch too much science fiction, but it'd be a bit scared that any unidentified rock was radioactive or composed of something lethal or dangerous. Reminds me of a tv episode, I forget which show, but a kid was carrying around a stone for good luck. It was given to him by his father and it ended up giving him cancer in his spinal cord since he attached it to his backpack. It was made out of uranium or something like that. I'm just saying, I'll stick to other hobbies that require less in depth knowledge about geology.
LxGoodies
Iceaxe0410 wrote:
I don't think I'd probably ever start collecting rocks unless if I knew exactly what they were. It might be that I just watch too much science fiction, but it'd be a bit scared that any unidentified rock was radioactive or composed of something lethal or dangerous. Reminds me of a tv episode, I forget which show, but a kid was carrying around a stone for good luck. It was given to him by his father and it ended up giving him cancer in his spinal cord since he attached it to his backpack. It was made out of uranium or something like that. I'm just saying, I'll stick to other hobbies that require less in depth knowledge about geology.

Wow that's dangerous indeed Surprised to be honest when I was a kid I collected (and wore) stones out of positive superstition, my mother believed that too: For instance, some types of stones could be beneficiary, that is e.g. amethist would help my creativity, quartz could provide energy, etc. Later when I started to study I learned that all that was bogus. In a sense, from a scientific point of view, you're right: the opposite could be true. Some stones could contain toxic substances (also chemical, like e.g. cyanide) and it's not advisable to wear these directly on your body ! Of course when "collecting" means putting them somewhere in your room and look at them is not dangerous..

Lx
Vanilla
LxGoodies wrote:
The two examples you show look really neat ! Now where I live, in the Netherlands, quite similar tools are found, dating back around 4000-6000 years. We call them "polished axes".

This is a Greek (that is Macedonian) find, shown on this page

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithicum

(you'll probably need a translator for it.. Wink )

Lx

Can't deny my ax heads look quite similar to the ones displayed on that page. The thing is... I don't know where they were found! When we moved to the place, the ax heads were sort of lying there (one was being used as a door stopper and the other one was found in the kitchen). Funny huh? Also the place is in the middle of the Bolivian side of Pantanal. If you want to know more about it, just check this. I have lived in both Puerto Suarez and Puerto Quijarro and yes, the place is well described in the link...

coolclay wrote:
Vanilla, that's a pretty decent collection you got there! Have you and your father found most of them or do you buy them? I collect as well, most focus on fossils, even though I've got some decent clear quartz, amethyst, pyrite, limonite, and garnets I have found myself.

Just a question are your citrines natural or did you make them from your amethyst? Also where did you get your gems cut?

I got a few of my clear quartz, and garnets cut into gems and they turned out very beautiful. The plan is to use them in an engagement ring for someone special I know! They are also quite rare because you see they were found by yours truly on a remote island in the Pacific (Santa Catalina Island), where my girlfriend and I met.

What a beautiful story! Your girlfriend is a pretty lucky chick! Very Happy Boy, I would love to own some garnets, I find them astoundingly beautiful!

These citrines are natural, they came from the bolivianites. There's a huge reserve of this gem in Bolivia, hence the name. Most of my collection came from my dads mine (I never visited the place but I know it was near Puerto Suarez) and some of them I found. My dad also gave me the emeralds (never told me where he got them) and the calcite rhombs (ditto). The huge clear crystal in the center was found by my dad in a place where he was literally bulldozering. I remember he bringing that huge stone covered in mud and my mom was oh so mad hahaha! The stones were cut in my backyard, literally. My dad employed two gemcutters who where responsible for the cutting/evaluating and they did it in a shop assembled in my backyard. It was a fun time because my house was filled with huge mounts of amethyst and the whole thing was some sort of secret, because we lived in a dangerous place.

coolclay wrote:
But my fossil collection is pretty massive, and consists of tons of boxes filling an entire shed! Mostly Carboniferous plants, Eocene marine, Miocene marine, and Devonian marine. But a few bits and pieces of other cool stuff like triassic fish and miocene plants too. [/img]

Pics please! Also show off your garnets, I would love to see them!

On the same note... If anyone happens to find a padparadscha lying around you can send it to me, ok? I'll be more than happy to give you my address!

grofet
Nice hobby and i would like to have it too, but i don't have time to collect rocks. There are so many beautiful rocks around us. Sometimes it need a lot of money to get the best rocks.
cheapseeker
yes
mshafiq
i do not hobby of collecting rocks but my kids they like to collect the rocks and play with them
crazyfffan
Vanilla wrote:
I collect. I can say that I'm pretty proud of my collection, since it used to be sponsored by my father. He had an amethyst mine and he always brought amethysts to me that he couldn't sell or were just interesting but didn't worth much. As a result, my collection is basically made of amethysts. I also have lots of different types of quartz crystal, some emeralds, citrine, titanite...

(this is where I decided to take pics of my collection)

Those are the big ones. The bottom-left ones are not valuable, they just have an interesting shape and that's why I've added them to the collection. Bottom-left, the round one is really light and my dad use to call it "pidgeon egg". It really is a rock, but a VERY light one. To the right, this rock was found in a shallow river by my father and it looks like a horse hoof. This rock was polished by the water and tis really smooth.

A huge fume quartz crystal and smaller ones. I was trying to show that the quartz is not completely opaque, but I think I failed. Very Happy

This is a calcite rhomb and it works just like a prism. I was trying to show the rainbow inside it.

Some of my amethysts! Size comparison with my hand (difficult to hold it with just one hand, the thing is HEAVY). To the right you can see a Bolivianite or ametrine, which is a a bi-color amethyst. The name ametrine is because tis half amethyst and half citrine.

Cut amethysts. The square one (that's a baguette cut) I carry with me inside my purse. If you pay attention, you'll see tis a Bolivianite, it has hints of yellow inside the purple. Left: just amethysts. Right: just citrines. In the middle: uncut stone. The right pic is a detail of the citrines. They look like they're on fire. Beautiful.

This is a titanite. The first pic looks like tis not properly focused, but the truth is this is not a good quality gem. Because of that, the light would not be properly reflected.

I don't know what these are hahaha! Sorry about that. Just some pretty gems already cut. Very Happy

Pictured: emeralds and le me trying to be funny. Razz

Sorry about the huge post! I really love to talk about gems. Very Happy

These things look more like gems to me.
Radar
I would be a fan of collecting sea shells / rocks from the beach, but for at least some beaches, that's illegal, which is sad, unfortunate, and also completely understandable.
Insanity
I don't collect rocks, but I think those are some awesome looking rocks there. I think that it would get hard to collect them because there are so many varieties out there, and so many different shapes and sizes for each one. For collecting, I like to collect things which have an end to them, like the number of U.S. state quarters that are new.
Minamii
oh crap, awesome rock Shocked
dalepeart
I would love to live by the beach so I can collect some awesome rocks.
diarte
During a trip in Puglia, Italy, a friend gifted me a beauty necklace holding a Flourite rock.

Kinda weird for my tastes but hey, the colors are catchy and sometimes it made me stop and think deep shits. Thank ya Mario <3
Radar
Thinking about this, I do actually have at least some rocks that I've collected from different points in life.

Didn't really realise that I did that, but I guess so.
Blummer
I had some in the past, mostly from people who travel to the sea more frequently than I. Got a bunch from the mountainside as well. Not much, but still fond of it.
rmines
Used to take my rock, mineral, fossil, and artifact collection to the grade schools.
They called me The Rock Lady!
Haven't had much time lately to go rock hounding.
Did help a neighbor build a short dry laid rock wall around a front garden last weekend.
Do possess a pretty nice collection which includes an imprint of a fly, a pinecone from the ancestor to the Sequoia tree, pipestone, amathyst, mica, pipestone knife sharpener, and some beads to name a few.
jajarvin
When I was young I used to collect stones. I plan to try again this hobby. Maybe next summer?
mshafiq
i do not have hobby of collecting rocks but my kids i do not know how they involved in collecting rocks.All the time when they are out side collect white color shinning rocks.bring home wash and dry and play for along time and then keep safe.
tonberry
When I was young and on vacation, I used to walk on the beaches and look for the most beautiful rocks for my collection. I used to put them in a big jar, sort of. My childhood dream was shattered as one day batteries that were also kept there spilled on those rocks and I had to throw it all away. Industrialization owned mother nature in that jar. 1:0 for technology.
oliviafoster01
No, I dont collect
Insanity
Some great looking rocks here!
Nyasro
I dont collect rocks but i enjoy watching others collections.
jamesparker
No , i have not.
mshafiq
My younger daughter she loves to collect rocks, colour stone etc
BigGeek
I used to collect rocks and had a pretty extensive collection - When I was in college and for a few years after my first wife and I were both Geophysicists and we were into hiking to all kinds of remote places and collecting rocks from the area. She was so obsessive about it she would sneak rocks out of parks and mines that we were not supposed to take samples from.

I used to laugh about the fact that they only way she got away with collecting so many samples was because her husband was 6' 2" tall and weighed 225 lbs. and was a Marine well versed in carrying heavy loads in a pack for long distances.

Back in 1985 we visited the Grand Canyon and while on a camping trip to the bottom of the canyon she scored quite a few great samples - the next day I had to hike back up out of that Canyon with that load on my back - I was beat by the time I got to the rim - holy crap that was a hike!

And renting Mules at the Grand Canyon was out - if you weigh over 200 lbs you can't ride one Very Happy
LxGoodies
BigGeek wrote:
I used to collect rocks and had a pretty extensive collection - When I was in college and for a few years after my first wife and I were both Geophysicists and we were into hiking to all kinds of remote places and collecting rocks from the area. She was so obsessive about it she would sneak rocks out of parks and mines that we were not supposed to take samples from.

I used to laugh about the fact that they only way she got away with collecting so many samples was because her husband was 6' 2" tall and weighed 225 lbs. and was a Marine well versed in carrying heavy loads in a pack for long distances.

Back in 1985 we visited the Grand Canyon and while on a camping trip to the bottom of the canyon she scored quite a few great samples - the next day I had to hike back up out of that Canyon with that load on my back - I was beat by the time I got to the rim - holy crap that was a hike!

And renting Mules at the Grand Canyon was out - if you weigh over 200 lbs you can't ride one Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy LOL
mrshadow
I am collecting rocks. For now, i have around 450 rocks from all countries from Europa and from Africa (around 120 rocks...).
plegrand
I collect rocks in every place I stand (sorry for my poor english...)