FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Convince me to upgrade to win7

likeabreeze
I am definitely a WinXP-lover..
but people around me are using win7.
so I hesitate to upgrade to win7.
Why, why should we use win7?
the biggest feature about it?
IndieCthulhu
likeabreeze wrote:

Pretty much Its windows xp except prettier with more features... like split screen and show view desktop without closing a page... compatibility wise.... xp and 7 are around on par
Marcuzzo
windows xp is a good OS, but you need to move on to 7 because of several reasons,
for one MS will stop patching XP and will leave you with security holes that are discovered but unpatched.
likeabreeze
Marcuzzo wrote:
windows xp is a good OS, but you need to move on to 7 because of several reasons,
for one MS will stop patching XP and will leave you with security holes that are discovered but unpatched.

that makes perfect sense...
by the way, just now I found that it only takes 20 mins to install Win 7, which is much faster than any other Operating Systems.
I cant help but ask a question:Why a OS as big as 10GB only takes 20 mins to install?
sikender
likeabreeze wrote:
Marcuzzo wrote:

that makes perfect sense...
by the way, just now I found that it only takes 20 mins to install Win 7, which is much faster than any other Operating Systems.
I cant help but ask a question:Why a OS as big as 10GB only takes 20 mins to install?

I am sorry but Linux installs faster than any Windows Operating System. It takes minutes for a linux distro to install.
amagard
I'd say installation time doesn't matter too much. How often do you install an operating system ? Boot time and overall performance are more important.

Windows XP indeed has been the best Windows version ever. Stable and reliable. When I got myself a new computer at home with Windows Vista installed I realized what a nightmare this was. Still hate it but was too lazy so far to wipe it away.

Meanwhile I got a new computer at work with Windows 7 installed ( my company was smart enough to skip Vista ) and I am pretty satisfied with it as well.

A good reason to use Win 7 compared to XP would be the capability to run 64 bit code. This allows to use more memory which usually gets you better performance.

One feature I really love with Win 7 is the easy pinning of shortcuts to either task bar or start menu.
metalfreek
Windows 8 is great as well. I have been using windows 8 for more than a year now initially consumer review and now Professional version. If you are looking for some upgrade I suggest that you go for windows 8. There are tons of new feature in windows 8 so go for it. Here is my blog post on what's new on windows 8.

http://www.crazyblogger.info/computer/whats-new-in-windows-8-operating-system/
Marcuzzo
Install times mostly depend on the size of the installation and also on your hardware.
fouadCh
likeabreeze wrote:

Here is a fairly good reason to upgrade to Windows 7, and It's not really about better features, although win7 has important improvements over winXP, it comes at the expense of using more system resources.. The thing is that Microsoft will support Windows XP-Service Pack 3 (SP3) until April 2014.. which means that the countdown for its retirement has already started.. and if you still want to use it by then, better be for offline work rather than for online activities..
appsapps
I am an XP lover too, so I know how you feel.

From what I understand Win7 isn't so bad. But I have no plans on upgrading older hardware to a new OS. Once I buy a new pc though, it will be Win7.

If your hardware can support it, please do upgrade before one of the following occurs:

1. XP reaches end of life and no more security updates are released.
2. Microsoft stops selling Wn7 in an effort to force people to use Win8. (yuck!)

You can still run XP right on Win7, in a virtual machine, although from what I understand, it won't be necessary.

Before upgrading, make a list of all your hardware and do some google searching to find out of anybody is having problems getting any of it to work with Win7.

You also might want to make a drive image as a backup, while you still have XP. That way if there are any major problems, you can restore XP just as it is right now.
likeabreeze
amagard wrote:
When I got myself a new computer at home with Windows Vista installed I realized what a nightmare this was. Still hate it but was too lazy so far to wipe it away.

yeah, almost everybody is saying, "Vista is SHIT!"
and describe it as "memory hog","resource hog"...
likeabreeze
metalfreek wrote:
Windows 8 is great as well. I have been using windows 8 for more than a year now initially consumer review and now Professional version. If you are looking for some upgrade I suggest that you go for windows 8. There are tons of new feature in windows 8 so go for it. Here is my blog post on what's new on windows 8.

http://www.crazyblogger.info/computer/whats-new-in-windows-8-operating-system/

The most appealing thing about IE8, in my opinion, is the Metro UI, which looks so simple but beautiful with blocks in different colors.
It seems that the website of Microsoft is also adopting this style, just fine enough..
Bluedoll
Just an opinion but I think Windows now moving in the same direction as apple. There will be less tweaking and more automatic functions going on unless you are a real operating system guru. There is a crowd that just wants things to work so they can get on with their work and if problems arise send them off to something or someone else. The idea of doing defrag and installing drivers are a thing of the past and maybe, (true or false?) each new windows upgrade XP, 7, 8 is heading in that direction. It is just another upgrade with different features. If you stay with an older version that is fine because it is comfortable but you run the risk of being left behind.
doublekk
Windows XP is fairly stable, and easily one of the best windows os available. Performance-wise, I find XP to be equally capable as windows 7. However, if you want a better look and feel, you should give windows 7 a try. There are a lot of customisable features that make the work easier. For a general user, the subtle changes in windows 7 increases the working speed. for instance: I find the start menu (customisable and with the search feature) pretty useful to navigate through the computer.
I also used XP for years, before switching on to win7. There's nothing to hate, and no major issues like in Vista. Definitely Worth a try.
likeabreeze
Bluedoll wrote:
The idea of doing defrag and installing drivers are a thing of the past and maybe, (true or false?)

False.
Actually, I have to install some drivers manually when using Win7..Many drivers have been installed automatically, though.
twotrophy
I recommend Windows 8 instead of Windows 7 because it is the latest version of Windows. It is the only Windows version with the Windows App Store. It also has a new interface although I don't really like it. You can also switch back to the old interface if you want if I am correct. And is it true that Windows 8 has a built-in Antivirus or is it just a rumor that spread before the release of Windows?
Pande
Although I hate windows 8, I agree with twotrophy that you should get that instead of windows 7.

However: both still have terrible UI and cluttered preference folders. Both have window rendering bugs that have persisted since 95 and before. And both are a bit hoggy in resources.

However, if you've used windows XP, none of these problems will be apparent and are more fixed than they ever have been.

Windows 8 will be more secure and as twotrophy mentioned, you can make it look like 'normal' quite easily. It's also easier to theme, I hear. Windows 7 breaks easily when you theme it.
loveandormoney
likeabreeze wrote:

If You work oflline
then use win xp.
If You work online
the change and use win8.
Why?
Because ms is stopping the support and updates for win xp.
This is the problem with ms.
Or if You want to use win xp and use the www
then
dont use the admin for surfing.
mattk71
I was just like you for a very long time! I was and still am an XP lover
but when I was given a laptop with Win 7 on it, I decided to use it for a while
before I would format and install XP. Well that was over 2 years ago! LOL
And I have only seen the bsod twice during those 2 years and they were not serious
problems and a simple reboot fixed them. The only problem is that everything after
XP requires a lot of RAM. So the laptop I had maxed out at 2gb of ram. It felt a tiny bit
slower than XP, BUT it felt way more solid than XP.

Just do it, you wont regret it. Stay away from Vista for sure!
Gregoric
mattk71 wrote:
Just do it, you wont regret it. Stay away from Vista for sure!

...and Windows "So Modern" 8.

1. It is faster if you clean it with some software regularly; otherwise you would have to reinstall it like once per half of a year.
2. It brings several useful tools and features - the main feature that I really lack in XP after having used Windows7 since the beta is Aero Peek, that allows minimizing all the windows.
3. It looks better Smile

Believe me, buy a Windows 7 license before Microsoft decides to disallow it. Some people say that Microsoft make one bad system per one very good. Yep, XP and Windows 7 afte such systems.
sysna
You should update to win 7 , after a month of working with it you will completely forget win XP

But the above sentence is not true for win 8 , i got a laptop 4 months ago with win 8 and after 4 months of using an ultimate ugly windows now i have just bought a win 7 and i have just installed it today

With a SSD , win 7 easily kills win 8 in performance, in CoD Ghosts game i have just gained 20 FPS !!!! with downgrading to win 7 ! also if you have a SSD then boot time of win 8 is not an advantage Very Happy
dude_xyx
I'm still using Windows XP. My laptop has Windows 8 but I'm way too used to Windows XP. I guess I'll need to upgrade it to Windows 7 if they Microsoft doesn't support it after April 2014. But I don't know if my Desktop computer is upto it. My configaration is Dual Core 2.5 processor, 3 GB DDR2 Ram

and I run lots of software like Dreamweaver CS6, Easy PHP, Photoshop CS5 etc. I wonder if 3GB RAM would be enough to run all these. I don't want to upgrade this computer.
aayushsrivastava14
The following are some features of Windows 7 that may interest you:

Better Performance
Windows 7 sleeps, resumes, and reconnects to wireless networks faster so you can start using your PC faster. Windows 7 improvements made PC boot time much faster for PC users all over the world.

Lots of Windows software updates
Microsoft introduced Internet Explorer 8 with the Windows 7 release. Now with Internet Explorer 9 available on Windows 7, users can browse the internet with streamlined navigation tools, the One Box multi-function Address Bar, and SmartScreen Filter to protect users from malicious sites and software.

If you any more doubt than feel free to contact me. Smile
standready
My old XP computer crashed recently with a fatal 'ntldr' error. I recovered the system and pulled all the updates (190+) off the web. Got me to thinking about if this had happened after April. Would those old updates still be available?
I browsed around at Windows 7 pricing and came across a computer with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit installed for $60 more than the Windows license alone plus faster processors, HUGE HD and more memory than my old system.
So now I have three computers Win 98, XP and 7. Two weeks into 7 and I like it. Have also been working neighbor's Win 8.1 and am finally getting configured and figured out for him. My initial thoughts on 8 is I will keep 7.
loveandormoney
The most easy way:
Keep xp and work online with a live CD Linux.
Then You can use Your xp, which is very good.
But surfing bei win is not safe.
But if You install a second user without admin rights
then You will have no problem
with
virus.

So keep xp
and add a live CD Linux.
Then You safe a lot of money also.
StriderVM
in my opinion, if you are asked to be convinced to do something. It's not really worth it.... Razz

- To Play Halo 2 PC Version. (Requires Vista at least.)
- To Play Just Cause 2 (Requires Vista as well.)
- To Play Strider 2013 (Requires DX11, in which isn't in Windows XP)
- Games that generally minimally require DX10 or DX11. It's rare but they exist.
- Certain Microsoft apps that require Vista or above.

Beyond that. And you're just browsing the internet or doing something similar you can already do in XP. I suggest you do not upgrade.... Smile
tallbear
just when you though an OS's ui was terrible but then here come windows 8.1
amagard
One more thought: people owning a multi-year old computer might not want to upgrade from xp to Windows 7 or 8, it most likely won't run smoothly on old hardware because of all the fancy extras needing more resources in terms of memory and cpu power.
Those are the people who might become motivated to grab a linux distro and kiss Microsoft Windows goodbye.
Da Rossa
Win7 is the evolution of XP, not vista. It takes the good things of Vista and is designed to please the XP lovers.
Well, the aero itself is not THE best thing over XP, but the customizability and eye-candiness. Also the x64 version is more well-supported and can take up to 128MB of RAM. Not to mention that it's a 2009 operating system instead of a 2001 one. Think about the change in mentality. Things are more straigh-forward, the control panels are more interlinked, you have to click on lesser links to get to where you want unless you're console savvy.
The driver compatibility is broader in Windows 7 now, so are some games.

The main reason as for now is that Microsoft discontinued the support for XP. It will be missed? Yes, like your Super Nintendos. Do you want to use your SNES as your main console now?
cabenqc
IT is a moving on industry.
M$ marketing is going to let peoples to buy/use new OS,
as long as you still using MS OS related softwares.
M$ take control of MS OS -> software development tools -> softwares
Except you use MS OS + tools to build your very own softwares to use.
But, it is not so possible for the whole IT world and users.
For example, I don't like .NET, but I still use that to build softwares.
However, I still use Visual Studio 6 (1998) to build/develop some softwares.
For XP/W7/W8 it's still ok to use VS6,
but sooner or later, when W10 or WXII come,
I will be forced to giveup VS6 and force to use .NET or .NEWTech.
I think you can understand my point.
In addition, CPU manufacturers will also help OS development to use new OS.
OS developer will help CPU manufactures to use new CPU.
That is our moving on IT industry.
jajarvin
Win7 is ok. So move on I and begin to use Win7
burgerbelly
Why not upgrade to Windows 8.1. As long as Windows Shell is added to restore the Windows Button, then it is a faster operating system.

Just my $0.02 Smile
burgerbelly
Windows 7 is pretty good, and it is a stable operating system. I am just curious as to what Windows 9 will offer for improvements (when it is released).
Da Rossa
Windows 7 is THE operating system. I'm good with Windows 8.1 though. Actually, Windows 8.1 is better, but I understand why people are so reluctant.
k_s_baskar
you can't get latest features (i.e you can't install latest version of internet explorer) so win 7 or win 8.1 will be good choice