FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


An extremely simple idea for sigs.





ocalhoun
I just had an epiphany.
It's so simple. Why didn't I think of it before?

No more need to set rules about sig size. After this, only rules about sig bandwidth will be necessary.


In the show_thread template, look for
Code:
{$user_signature}


Replace with
Code:

<div width=600 height=175 overflow="hidden">
   {$user_signature}
</div>


Then, if a user has a sig that's larger than the allowed size, no matter if it's text or images, the oversize portion of it will be invisible on the forums.
IndieCthulhu
That is a good idea but... if a users sig is smaller than that or doesn't have one the sigspace will be constant on every post for someone who has a small sig... like myself... maybe some JavaScript or jquery could resolve that
Bondings
This would solve a lot of problems. However this way it would become a lot harder to spot hidden images (that can be big or very inappropriate).
twotrophy
Bondings wrote:
This would solve a lot of problems. However this way it would become a lot harder to spot hidden images (that can be big or very inappropriate).


I agree. What if these hidden images contain inappropriate or illegal stuff not suitable for Frihost. So this means that it is safer sticking to the current system on for signatures for the time being. What about the idea mentioned on another thread about decreasing the allowed length for signatures and allowing longer signatures to shorten long threads? I think that it is a good idea.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I just had an epiphany.
Just learned a great new word Ocal and was intrigued. So looked it up Razz

Quote:
Epiphany may refer to:
Religion and social sciences
Epiphany (religion), the appearance of a deity to a human, known as theophany
Epiphany (holiday), a Christian holiday on January 6 marking the theopany of the infant Jesus to the Magi
Second Coming of Christ, the anticipated theopany (epiphany) of Jesus as a return to Earth
Hierophany, an epiphany or manifestation of the sacred more broadly defined than a theophany
Darśana, Hindu term commonly used for "visions of the divine"
Epiphany (feeling), a sudden realization of great truth

Business and technology
Epiphany, Inc., a software development company
Web (web browser) for the GNOME graphical computing desktop was previously known as Epiphany
a many-core processor from Adapteva



I've always wondered why if the art work should be the wrong size, it would not come up with a warning it is the wrong size and automatically not allow us to post the wrong size artwork/photo. Like with our Avatars. I know it is not the same as our Avatars, but surely there should be a way to prompt the user to change the size of the pic, maybe disallow the posting of the pic? At a minimum it would be nice if there were a pop-up warning warning that the size is too big.
Peterssidan
twotrophy wrote:
Bondings wrote:
This would solve a lot of problems. However this way it would become a lot harder to spot hidden images (that can be big or very inappropriate).

I agree. What if these hidden images contain inappropriate or illegal stuff not suitable for Frihost. So this means that it is safer sticking to the current system on for signatures for the time being. What about the idea mentioned on another thread about decreasing the allowed length for signatures and allowing longer signatures to shorten long threads? I think that it is a good idea.

If it's hidden it doesn't really matters if it's inappropriate because no one will see it. The bandwidth problem is more of an issue.

deanhills wrote:
I've always wondered why if the art work should be the wrong size, it would not come up with a warning it is the wrong size and automatically not allow us to post the wrong size artwork/photo. Like with our Avatars. I know it is not the same as our Avatars, but surely there should be a way to prompt the user to change the size of the pic, maybe disallow the posting of the pic? At a minimum it would be nice if there were a pop-up warning warning that the size is too big.

Avatars are a bit different in that they are uploaded to the Frihost server so checking the size is easy. This is all built into phpBB. With a signature you just upload some text so calculating the size of the signature is very hard. The signature can contain both text and images. The images are not hosted on the Frihost server so they might even change at a later time.
deanhills
Peterssidan wrote:
Avatars are a bit different in that they are uploaded to the Frihost server so checking the size is easy. This is all built into phpBB. With a signature you just upload some text so calculating the size of the signature is very hard. The signature can contain both text and images. The images are not hosted on the Frihost server so they might even change at a later time.
I'm aware of that. Just thought that it could be coded at the point when the signature is uploaded to not allow the photo when it is larger than it should be. I've seen signatures in other kinds of Forums (think it was vBulletin) giving a warning that there is too much text, so wonder whether it could be coded similarly to say the picture has exceeded its size? Anyway, I'm sure it can be done, but probably would take too much time to program.
Related topics
RSS feed for the forum
How to become a millionaire on the internet?
Programming links, info, and tutorials
Counter
Cold Fear Development Diary Pt 3
HUGE FREE LINK EXCHANGE!!
Photoshop Tuts
Php - Basic Encryption site
writing COM components in Perl
Gimp - Watermarks
Hey, how do I install a localhost server?
Life is fundamentally meaningless. heres why
Bumper Sticker and Heaven
Idea for Apps
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.