FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

DC12V jack

Tony The Tiger
I have a bunch of appliances and gismos that have DC 12V jacks. They include things like battery recharger, google chromebook, norelco electric razor, etc. I am just noticing that each jack is a slightly different size so that none of the power cords are interchangeable. Why is this? It makes no sense to me why these jacks have not been standardized.
IndieCthulhu
I'm sure I time they will be, I know that in europe they made it law that all phone chargers must be micro USB ports... or so the rumour is in Australia that Europe has done this... I can see standardization happening globally most electricity sockets replaced by USB extension ect

Houses will be full of USB ports so every appliance will be tracked by the house similar to the house of irobot and well general "future " houses
ocalhoun
There's a perfectly good reason they're not standardized.

Because each one is made by a different company for a different product, and if you lose the 12V adapter, they want you to buy their replacement part, not somebody else's replacement part... and they certainly don't want you just using another one you happen to have lying around.

Follow the money. ^.^
Tony The Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
There's a perfectly good reason they're not standardized.

Because each one is made by a different company for a different product, and if you lose the 12V adapter, they want you to buy their replacement part, not somebody else's replacement part... and they certainly don't want you just using another one you happen to have lying around.

Follow the money. ^.^

It still seems a little bit odd to me. Other types of cords are standardized like USB cords and the end of the cords that plugs into the wall.