FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gold mining is actually removing gold

Jolia88
Gold mining is actually removing gold through the ground. There are lots of methods as well as procedures through which gold could possibly be taken through the earth.
nickfyoung
In the Philippines in some places they still use the old method of gold extraction using mercury I think. This leaves about 20% of the gold behind which makes a small industry fossicking for gold in the left overs. My wife has a friend who has made a business out of it and makes gold jewellery from her findings. One has to be resourceful.
Parkour_Jarrod
You could alwaqys go gold fishing, use a sealed container of mercury (quiet a bit of it) and use it to fish gold from the bottom of rivers, lakes and harbors using the magnetic attraction gold has to mercury.
LxGoodies
Friend of mine recently found this gold Ducat 1690 on farming land, in the south of the Netherlands. He used a Garret Ace metal detector. You could find nuggets with it as well.. it's not water-proof though..

It is a very nice find, but it was damaged by ploughing by the farmers, for more than 300 years.. still, in the condition it is in now, this coin is worth about 200-250 Euros. He sold it.. and bought a better detector Smile some people in the Netherlands, Britain and Germany make a living out of it.. but that requires 5 to 10 years of experience.. and it΄s a full time job !

Most gold coins are worth much more than their gold content. Because collectors are prepared to pay for rare and old coins.. genuine finds..

There exist pieces e.g. dating back to Roman times, that cost 100.000 or more, like this piece of Julius Caesar..

Lx
grofet
Gold and silver is the true money for daily transaction gathered from the ground, but the central bank cheat us with no longer backup the money made from paper or metal with gold or silver, so we have to loose our money value every time by the inflation. inflation is a decrease of money value, not an increase in price of things at the same time. Bank, speculators, forex gamblers, and many more are the cause of the inflation, so they rob our money value without we notice it. $100 usd Paper money have little real value, but gold and silver always have high value.
Ankhanu
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how currency works. Gold standards did not prevent inflation at all, and gold prices fluctuate just like currencies without gold backing... Money, whether based in metals or more conceptual, is only as valuable as we think it is; there's no more intrinsic monetary value in gold than there is in cash, they're both symbols.
ocalhoun
Jolia88 wrote:
Gold mining is actually removing gold through the ground. There are lots of methods as well as procedures through which gold could possibly be taken through the earth.

ratanegra
Yes, it is. It is like drinking water. You are actually letting the water fall from the glass and through your mouth to your stomach. The water you drank won't ever be in the glass again. It is absolutely unbelievable, but it is true. We remove water from the glasses.
manfer
Ankhanu wrote:
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how currency works. Gold standards did not prevent inflation at all, and gold prices fluctuate just like currencies without gold backing... Money, whether based in metals or more conceptual, is only as valuable as we think it is; there's no more intrinsic monetary value in gold than there is in cash, they're both symbols.

Quote:

Real Asset
Physical or tangible assets that have value, due to their substance and properties. Real assets include precious metals, commodities, real estate, agricultural land and oil. They are appropriate for inclusion in most diversified portfolios - with their proportion dependent on the investor's risk tolerance and preferences - because of their relatively low correlation with financial assets, such as stocks and bonds. They are particularly well-suited for inflationary times, because of their tendency to outperform financial assets during such periods.

Money made with precious metals had intrinsic value. Probably less than the value they represented, yes, but they had instrinsic value anyway.

Actual money made with paper or worthless metals has near 0 intrinsic value.

So, not at all, they are not actually the same. While currency can collapse to almost 0 value, gold won't ever do because of its intrinsic value. The fact that the value of both currency and gold fluctuate doesn't make them same thing.

Do you thing you will ever see a state trying to repatriate their currency? And their gold?
harrer
If you wanna do some risky things, you can extract them from old electronics.
coolclay
ocalhoun wrote:
Jolia88 wrote:

You made my night Ocalhoun, just FYI.
jmraker
I'm a little skeptical about this theory about gold coming out of the ground. If video games ever taught me anything it's that gold comes from defeating enemies or opening pirate chests.

If one were to find gold in the ground, I can only assume that they either unknowingly defeated an underground enemy or found a buried pirate treasure. Razz
Insanity
It's crazy how far people have come in terms of mining gold. You hear stories of how it was back when there was a gold rush and people were clamoring all over rivers and such with their pans trying to find a small bit of gold. But now I'm sure the extraction methods are much more sophisticated. However, you should wonder at how much gold can you extract and how expensive it is relative to the value of the gold that you just mined. Food for thought.