FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

More IRC Questions

GuidanceReader
A while back I was asking about having a live service chat function on my website using MSN in this thread which I found out was okay, but now with the MSN-Skype merge that is no longer available.

I did add to the previous thread some questions about LiveZilla, wondering if this would be okay as it uses my own databases to store stuff. I don't know anywhere enough about IRC and webpage building - learning as I go.

It hasn't been answered and I wondered if this was because I added to an old thread rather than asking fresh, so I've made this one Smile

Also, while I am here, twotrophy asked
twotrophy wrote:

I have a similar question as well. Can non-IRC live chat services be placed on Frihost websites such as Xat or shoutboxes? Are those services considered a violation of the Terms of Service (TOS)? Will these services take up a lot of bandwidth or web space given the limited amount of of web space and bandwidth Frihost offers? Although it is limited, Frihost is still generous because you do not have to pay a single cent as well as more root access to the space on the VPS provided compared to other web hosts.

Thanks in advance
Caroline
Bondings
A chat program is allowed as long as it doesn't consume too many cpu resources (meaning that I'll contact you if the server is running slow and the chat script is responsible for it).
GuidanceReader
So if it's causing problems, you'll let me know before canning my account? That's good. Thank you.
Bondings
At most I'll suspend it and only if it makes the server unusable.
astl32
So if it's causing problems, Can you help you'll let me know and after before canning my and of course yourse account? That's good.? What you mean Thank you.
Bondings
astl32 wrote:
So if it's causing problems, Can you help you'll let me know and after before canning my and of course yourse account? That's good.? What you mean Thank you.

For excessive resource consumption we notify the user and suspend the account if necessary for keeping the server running fine.

We do remove accounts if you are no longer active on these forums (measured by points and the last time you posted). (Tip: If you are gone from this forum for a long time, make a backup. Actually, you should always have some backup of data that you care about.)

We also remove accounts in case of big TOS violations (like spamming, phishing, malware, attacking servers, ...). This usually involves banning your forum account too, unless we think that your account was hacked and it wasn't you who did it.
twotrophy
Bondings wrote:
astl32 wrote:

For excessive resource consumption we notify the user and suspend the account if necessary for keeping the server running fine.

We do remove accounts if you are no longer active on these forums (measured by points and the last time you posted). (Tip: If you are gone from this forum for a long time, make a backup. Actually, you should always have some backup of data that you care about.)

We also remove accounts in case of big TOS violations (like spamming, phishing, malware, attacking servers, ...). This usually involves banning your forum account too, unless we think that your account was hacked and it wasn't you who did it.

Do HTML5 + Javascript chat programs in HTML5 + Javascript games take up a lot of space? I might be making a HTML5 game together with Javascript and getting Frihost free hosting for it. Will such code take up a lot of RAM on Frihost's VPSes or is HTML5 and Javascript not resource intensive. There might be moving graphics on the game as well. I want to create a game similar to but much more simple than Club Penguin in the future but that would probably be in a long time.
Peterssidan
twotrophy wrote:
Bondings wrote:
astl32 wrote:

Do HTML5 + Javascript chat programs in HTML5 + Javascript games take up a lot of space? I might be making a HTML5 game together with Javascript and getting Frihost free hosting for it. Will such code take up a lot of RAM on Frihost's VPSes or is HTML5 and Javascript not resource intensive. There might be moving graphics on the game as well. I want to create a game similar to but much more simple than Club Penguin in the future but that would probably be in a long time.

HTML and JavaScript is run by the browser. If the JavaScript fetch data from the server that will use server resources but then you probably have some other language involved, like PHP.
twotrophy
Peterssidan wrote:
HTML and JavaScript is run by the browser. If the JavaScript fetch data from the server that will use server resources but then you probably have some other language involved, like PHP.

Thank you Peterssidan for your help in answering my question. I did not know that PHP is needed to create such games. But I still feel that Javascript is important as it shows the Code Academy course shows the basics of programming.
Qantas94Heavy
twotrophy wrote:
Bondings wrote:
astl32 wrote:

As HTML and Javascript is interpreted completely on the client side, there is no difference to a static HTML site in theory. However, if you were to POST info to the server via PHP, then that may add to the load of the server, however the load would be similar to a typical website. I don't believe that making such a game is anything to worry about, apart from the number of users accessing your site.
GuidanceReader
Bondings wrote:
At most I'll suspend it and only if it makes the server unusable.

I can deal with suspension... (and I'm learning to keep back ups Wink )