FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

10x10 Letter Grid Contest

Peterssidan
In this contest you should place letters (any characters) in a 10x10 grid to form as many top posting Frihost user names as possible. You might want to use the memberlist to find the users with the highest number of posts. You can use this grid as a start:
Code:

RULES
Most important rule: DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWER IN THIS THREAD! Answers should be sent to me (Peterssidan) in a private message, containing the 10x10 character grid and a list of all the user names. The user names can start from anywhere in the grid and go in any direction (horizontal, vertical or diagonal), even backwards. You can (re)send your answer as many times you like but only the latest submission counts. Each unique user name (in the list) gives the same number of points as the post count of that user. The contestant with the highest number of points when the deadline has passed is the winner. If the points are equal the contestant who submitted earliest is the winner.

DEADLINE
1 March 2013 (passed)

PRIZES
First prize is 60 coins.
Second prize is 30 coins.
Third prize is 15 coins.

STANDINGS
  1. kaysch 107377
  2. codegeek 107225
  3. Pande 106113
  4. william 104152
  5. twotrophy 91921
william
This is by far one of the neatest and most creative ideas I've ever seen in the contest forums. Applause I'll definitely be taking part in this if I find the time.

Edit: Though I take it numbers can't be used, correct?
Peterssidan
william wrote:
Edit: Though I take it numbers can't be used, correct?

You can use any character you want.
Pande
How about crossing past, like this:

one...some

Also if their username has a space, can we get rid of it?
Peterssidan
Pande wrote:
How about crossing past, like this:
Code:
one...some
No this is not allowed. The user names must never cross the border.

Pande wrote:
Also if their username has a space, can we get rid of it?
There is no special rule about spaces. They are just like any other letter/character.
Pande
By the way, damn you for having a longer name than 10 letters >.> I couldn't include you for an extra bonus.
twotrophy
I would be probably participating in this competition but probably not too soon. It also seems to be easy and it is not a competition that requires luck to guess. Thank you for being generous enough to offer a lot of coins. But is it okay to leave certain areas of the 10 x 10 square grid blank?
Peterssidan
Yes you can leave them blank or put whatever character you want. It doesn't matter.
deanhills
I'll be traveling for two weeks with effect of tonight, so regrettably can't participate. Wish I could as it looks like a really interesting contest. Well thought out!
twotrophy
deanhills wrote:
I'll be traveling for two weeks with effect of tonight, so regrettably can't participate. Wish I could as it looks like a really interesting contest. Well thought out!

When I went on hoilday, I did admit having Internet access on my phone. Maybe I'll switch off my phone the next time I go on holiday so that I would be able to enjoy it better.

@Peterssidan I have already submitted my entry for the contest. I hope to win because I may be buying a domain name.

This contest is not very difficult. I suggest more people to submit entries.
UPDATE: I'm a bit disappointed with my results, I may be changing my grid again soon. It seems that not enough users are participating. Should you extend the deadline?
Peterssidan
It's less than a week left and I have only received 2 answers so far. I hope more people will take part. The points will be recalculated when the deadline has passed so you don't gain any points by submitting late.
twotrophy
You may want to extend the deadline slightly because there is not enough people participating. I think I will link this competition thread on my signature. I hope this would help you. I'll also post often so that the signature with your thread link would appear more often.
zimmer
Great idea but it would be cool if you upgrade the price.

I like the whole concept. At first i did not get it. I also suggest more clear sample on the mechanics.
Peterssidan
twotrophy wrote:
You may want to extend the deadline slightly because there is not enough people participating.
I don't think I will extent the deadline. There is still plenty of time for the ones who want to take part.

twotrophy wrote:
I think I will link this competition thread on my signature. I hope this would help you. I'll also post often so that the signature with your thread link would appear more often.
Yeah, more signature links would probably help.

zimmer wrote:
Great idea but it would be cool if you upgrade the price.
Feel free to donate coins to increase the prize. Wink
codegeek
Sounds like an interesting contest. I shall send you my entry if I get some free time to fill up the grid.
twotrophy
codegeek wrote:
Sounds like an interesting contest. I shall send you my entry if I get some free time to fill up the grid.

This shows that the reason why there are so few entries is because it takes some time to fill up despite the generous rewards. Also, I am thinking of holding a contest in the future. I guess that a guessing contest would be the most appropriate. By the way, what would happen if there are still 2 entries at the competition deadline?
Pande
I did mine in 20 minutes before getting on the bus to uni, it's really not that hard. I'd love the coins but I'd be surprised if someone can't beat me by putting in just a little more time, and therefor a bit disappointed if I win without having to defend my crown. Very Happy
Peterssidan
twotrophy wrote:
By the way, what would happen if there are still 2 entries at the competition deadline?
I doubt this will happen but if it does it just means no one will receive the third prize.
Pande
I shoulda kept my mouth shut, someone came along and beat me Very Happy
twotrophy
I guess that this contest is over. Unfortunately due to a lack of participants, every single entry will win some coins. I might also start a contest soon. But this time, I will make it a simple and easy contest so that many people would participate.
twotrophy
I guess that this contest is over. Unfortunately due to a lack of participants, every single entry will win some coins. I might also start a contest soon. But this time, I will make it a simple and easy contest so that many people would participate. At least I will be getting 15 coins as my prize. Very Happy
Peterssidan
I will wait until 24:00 GMT before I close the contest.
kaysch
Great idea, Peterssidan.

Challenging, a lot of fun and above all related to this forum.

It's a pity that although we are so close to the deadline so few people have participated. Anyway, I just saw it today as I am not active each day, just when my amount of points is nearing 0 (which it does right now...) Smile
william
This definitely was a fun challenge. I just wish I could have spent more than ten minutes on it (I've been very busy this month).

Considering that there are two minutes left, congratulations to the winners!
Peterssidan
The contest has now ended. Well done everyone! Applause

Here are the final results:

1. kaysch
Code:
BMATHIAUSG
LANIMALLJU
ASUDQSLQOR
SBONDINGSD
TRHIHMTXSI
EPLNLRDZOT
RNAMREKIBM
LECUNAHKNA
DMORPHEUSK
RVECAXIUSA

deanhills  17454
Bondings   13283
Bikerman   12525
ocalhoun   12249
tidruG      6106
Blaster     5319
rvec        5088
mathiaus    5003
Helios      4726
Animal      4614
mOrpheuS    4297
Ankhanu     3437
Caxius      3376
Indi        3303
Josso       2411
mtx         2272
Maka        1914
----------------
Total:    107377

2. codegeek
Code:
Vrythramax
bikermangt
ovsuehprom
nrvecaxius
deanhillso
iocalhouni
nmathiausl
gurditplle
sretsalbgh
animalindi

deanhills  17454
Bondings   13283
Bikerman   12525
ocalhoun   12249
tidruG      6106
Blaster     5319
rvec        5088
mathiaus    5003
Vrythramax  4742
Helios      4726
Animal      4614
mOrpheuS    4297
Caxius      3376
Indi        3303
mtx         2272
pll         1450
kv           732
GB           514
NG           172
----------------
Total:    107225

3. Pande
Code:
BondingssD
IndiMtxo.e
KvACaxiusa
elOcalhoun
RvecebaSPh
MatHiausli
Animalboll
nTidruGJMl
BlasteRivs
Vrythramax

deanhills  17454
Bondings   13283
Bikerman   12525
ocalhoun   12249
tidruG      6106
Blaster     5319
rvec        5088
mathiaus    5003
Vrythramax  4742
Helios      4726
Animal      4614
Caxius      3376
Indi        3303
Josso       2411
mtx         2272
pll         1450
kv           732
GB           514
riv          257
avk          233
sabe         210
ml           177
helk          69
raid           0
----------------
Total:    106113

4. william
Code:
XSUEHPROMI
NAMREKIBND
WUMINGSDEN
XTMATHIAUS
YDAERDNATS
WYNUOHLACO
GURDITTYEP
SOILEHZYVL
NBLASTERRL
FSGNIDNOBV

deanhills  17454
Bondings   13283
Bikerman   12525
ocalhoun   12249
tidruG      6106
Blaster     5319
rvec        5088
mathiaus    5003
Vrythramax  4742
Helios      4726
mOrpheuS    4297
wumingsden  3458
Indi        3303
standready  2877
mtx         2272
pll         1450
----------------
Total:    104152

5. twotrophy
Code:
deanhillsJ
BondingsMo
ocalhounas
tidruG..ks
mathiausao
Blasterr.I
Helios.vmn
Animal.etd
Ankhanucxi
Vrythramax

deanhills  17454
Bondings   13283
ocalhoun   12249
tidruG      6106
Blaster     5319
rvec        5088
mathiaus    5003
Vrythramax  4742
Helios      4726
Animal      4614
Ankhanu     3437
Indi        3303
Josso       2411
mtx         2272
Maka        1914
----------------
Total:     91921
codegeek
Aw, man! It seems I showed my hand far too quickly. Anyways, I am happy to have secured the second place, at least. Thank you for the competition. It was a very unique idea. Really enjoyed filling up the grid. Smile
twotrophy
Congratulations to all the winners. Although I am disappointed that I have lost, I will try my best to win in future competitions. I did not expect so many entries at the last few days of the contest. I would be removing my signature now because the contest is over. Thank you for hosting this competition.
Pande
That was fun Smile Another similar contest would be cool, not sure with what types of names. Perhaps highest coins?