FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

North Korea conducts a 3rd nuclear test underground

twotrophy
Quote:
Feb. 12, 2:05 a.m. — The Korean Central News Agency reports that North Korea succeeded in its third underground nuclear test.

“The test was carried out as part of practical measures of counteraction to defend the country’s security and sovereignty in the face of the ferocious hostile act of the U.S. which wantonly violated the DPRK’s legitimate right to launch satellite for peaceful purposes.”

Feb. 12, 00:15 a.m. — “If confirmed as a nuclear test, this act would constitute a clear threat to international peace and security, and challenges efforts made to strengthen global nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation, in particular by ending nuclear testing,” Tibor Tóth, the executive secretary of the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization, tells the Associated Press

Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/02/11/developing-earthquake-detected-near-north-korea-nuclear-site/#ixzz2KfalH1ei

North Korea has conducted a 3rd nuclear test very recently. This time, it has conducted it underground. Many politicians around the world agree that it would threaten peace and security around the world and in the surrounding area. This is also against the movement to get rid of all nuclear weapons around the world.

Yet, the North Korean government claimed that these tests are for peaceful purposes. The North Korean government also said that they have the right to conduct such tests to protect their country. What do you think of this decision? Personally, I think that they should stop nuclear tests because it will only increase tensions around the world and look for other alternatives instead to protect their country.

I believe that every country has the right to protect themselves, but not to the extent when it creates tensions between countries. It is very unlikely that the North would cooperate with other countries to stop nuclear tests. Countries should also cooperate with each other to not only reduce tensions, but to also have the help of other countries when needed which North Korea badly needs.
deanhills
twotrophy wrote:

I believe that every country has the right to protect themselves, but not to the extent when it creates tensions between countries. It is very unlikely that the North would cooperate with other countries to stop nuclear tests. Countries should also cooperate with each other to not only reduce tensions, but to also have the help of other countries when needed which North Korea badly needs.
Guess North Korea argues that if the US is allowed to have nuclear weapons, then so should North Korea.
johans
North Korea is a big headache for us.

I guess they are preparing for world war IV. Nuclear testing is not good for us all. Kim Joong must be very frustrated i guess. We dont know his goal and objectives.
deanhills
johans wrote:
North Korea is a big headache for us.

I guess they are preparing for world war IV. Nuclear testing is not good for us all. Kim Joong must be very frustrated i guess. We dont know his goal and objectives.
Their No. 1 objective for a conquest I think would be South Korea and then after that maybe the United States. Don't think they can think much along international lines. I get the impression they are very insular in their thinking and relationships with the rest of the world. Most, almost all of the population don't have Internet access. Most of the members of the Government seem to be brainwashed too. If I take the funeral of Kim Jong-il. Refer article in New York Times as an example:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/29/world/asia/kim-jong-il-funeral-north-korea.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
twotrophy
deanhills wrote:
Guess North Korea argues that if the US is allowed to have nuclear weapons, then so should North Korea.

Then why is it that the USA is allowed to have nuclear weapons? Is it because the USA developed these weapons before the UN resolutions were put in place?

UPDATE: It seems that the DPRK was specifically sanctioned by the UN by banning them from developing such technology.
metalfreek
Another little stunt for world attention. That's all there is to it.
Timczak
metalfreek wrote:

I completely agree with you. I think that they need another nuclear test just to show the world that they can build nukes. Now all the world, even Iran, are trying to convince them to stop it. North Korean government is probably trying to deal it for UN help. Let's not forget that North Korea suffering from hunger
SonLight
The fact that they chose to test underground, instead of contaminating a large area with fallout, shows some consideration both for themselves and the rest of the world. They will no doubt continue developing weapons technology and threatening their neighbors as long as they see it as being in their interest. We can only hope that they will feel less threatened in the future, and eventually be able to communicate internationally without threatening destruction.
jsk02a
A friend and I had an interesting conversation about this the other day. North Korea obviously uses these tests when the winter time comes and they need food in their bellies. However, with the new leader, I think they have overstepped their bounds this time.

It's interesting, China treats North Korea sort of like an embarrassing family member they have to constantly apologize for. This time, however, I see China getting a little more hard-handed with NK. Nobody wants a nuclear war, and I think this time NK has done a little too much sabre rattling.
LxGoodies
jsk02a wrote:
A friend and I had an interesting conversation about this the other day. North Korea obviously uses these tests when the winter time comes and they need food in their bellies. However, with the new leader, I think they have overstepped their bounds this time.

It's interesting, China treats North Korea sort of like an embarrassing family member they have to constantly apologize for. This time, however, I see China getting a little more hard-handed with NK. Nobody wants a nuclear war, and I think this time NK has done a little too much sabre rattling.

Agree, partly.. North Korea is a pain in the ass for China. As North Korea still closes its borders for Chinese products and isolates its currency in a Stalinistic way, China has no yield from it, only burden (it has to help NK). Also because of "friendly" relations with NK, China can't sell its goods in South Korea, which is a considerable (and very rich) economy. China would profit from a united and open Korea.

But alas: China will not be able to perform a 180 degree shift in its foreign policy. The Chinese way of "democracy" is not really as flexible as ours. Once every 5-10 years, a "party congress" is organized in China, and in between, China is a de-facto dictatorship. Ideological course is set.. and kept. China would loose face when they would change policy.. and no Asian country can afford that. As a result, China has to keep supporting North Korea. Even in the current situation.

Lx
testsoc
metalfreek wrote:

Agreed. Frankly, China will never let NK be too big for its boots and actually threaten the region. Right now they're a useful thorn in the side of the USA's major allies in the region - Japan and South Korea. It's always nice to have a political punching bag in the region, and I think NK fits the bill.
twotrophy
An important thing to take note of: In both North and South Korea, the family name comes first before the given name. For example, Kim Jong-un's family name is Kim. His given name is Jong-un (Said together). It is also sometimes spelt as Jong Un (without brackets). Hope this helps.
MagicHack
I think to nuclear weapons are a never ending circle. Because in case that one country still have their weapons the other country will keep their to. And this is creating more tensions. And with more tensions governements don't wan't to loose their weapons.
numed2012db
I think NK will never let go of their nuclear programme cause it's their only leverage now on the discussions tables if any at all. Recently they open their doors to Iran so I am guessing sanctions on NK are working and they are finding alternatives for resources that they need which in exchange could lead to Iran having Nuclear technology too and this might pose a greater risk.
kaysch
numed2012db wrote:
I think NK will never let go of their nuclear programme cause it's their only leverage now on the discussions tables if any at all. Recently they open their doors to Iran so I am guessing sanctions on NK are working and they are finding alternatives for resources that they need which in exchange could lead to Iran having Nuclear technology too and this might pose a greater risk.

There is in fact no reason at all North Korea should let go of their nuclear weapons. The atomic bomb has been their main trump card in international negotiations. On the other hand, now that they do have the atomic bomb what do they expect from the international community? They probably know that pressing the button does not make any sense for them. Historically, the atomic bomb has always been used to deter others from using it themselves (except for Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945).

Shutting down Kaesong also does not make a lot of sense, other than making North Korea less attracting for South Koreans. So like in recent years, this will probably only be a temporary measurement.

With regards to sympathy the country's government currently ranks between awful and outright disgusting. However they are stretching the "aw"ful part a little in these days. Behaving like little naughty children, trying to get some attention by behaving badly is not a good option for a country.

In recent years China has always chosen to put morale aside and keep good relations with a country as long as it benefits from good relations with it. As long as North Korea is good for China, the Chinese will probably not exert any pressure on North Korea.
twotrophy
MagicHack wrote:
I think to nuclear weapons are a never ending circle. Because in case that one country still have their weapons the other country will keep their to. And this is creating more tensions. And with more tensions governements don't wan't to loose their weapons.

I agree, they are addictive to a country. Once they start, they can't stop just like cigarettes. Tensions between countries spread like viruses. It is very difficult to create a peace treaty after tensions are everywhere.