FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Possible cron job usage?

Stay_Classy
I have read that backing up your server using a cron job is not allowed. If it were backed up infrequently, say, every week or so, instead of every half hour, would this be allowable?

Also, it would not be backing up to the server, but would send the backups to an FTP server hosted elsewhere. This is useful as far as redundancy goes.
amagard
Stay_Classy wrote:
I have read that backing up your server using a cron job is not allowed. ...

Where did you read this ?

I don't see any reason for this. cron jobs can be used for any tasks to be scheduled regularly, and it doesn't matter whether this is weekly or every half an hour.

A system backup of course might have an impact on overall system performance, thus you want to schedule it a smart way, like running the backup in a time frame when there is less going on on your server.

If it is too heavy you might want to decide to run it less often. This gives you less impact on the running system for the price of higher risk to loose data in case of a system failure.

Again, some smarts might help by coming up with different types of backups: a full system backup once a week, some less costly incremental data backups every half an hour.