FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do Animals Lie?

Dennise
One of the characteristic behaviors of humans is the capability and the actual practice of lying and deception. Often the truth is very hard to get out of clever liars.

I have heard accounts of primate deception in baboons where some individuals were seen to give the impression of hiding food in one location while - in fact - concealing the food in a completely different location.

I find it intriguing that other species are capable of such deception that clearly requires a degree of mental complexity, and future planing.

Has anyone seen or know about other accounts of animal duplicity?
Peterssidan
I think many animals do this without thinking about it. Hoverflies look like bees to scare away predators. Anglerfishes has a bait on their head to lure smaller predators close enough to eat them. Cuckoos lay similar looking eggs in the nests of another bird spices to make them take care of them in the belief that it is their own.
Bikerman
The Ptarmigan is well known for the 'broken wing' ploy which a male bird will deploy to lure predators away from young.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willow_Ptarmigan#Behaviour
Ankhanu
Lying is quite common in social species, and rarer in others, though, as Bikerman pointed out with the broken wing deception in ptarmigans (and many plover species as well), it does occur in non-social species too. I wouldn't class phenotypic mimicry systems like the ones that Peterssidan mentioned as a lie, however, as there is no intent involved, just the influence of evolved physical traits.

Lying is usually used to secure resources at minimal energetic cost, secure mates that might otherwise overlook them, or to increase social status (again at minimal energetic cost). Another extremely common form of lying comes from apparently monogamous mating pairs. In many cases the traits that foster a long-term caring parent aren't the same traits that foster long term survivorship and/or sexually attractive traits... a classic sort of nice guy vs. the successful womanizer thing. Females of many semi-social bird species, for example, may pair with a male who is likely to remain with her and help raise their young... but the young may not end up being his, as secretive extra-pair coupling occurs frequently, with multiple females being fertilized by the same successful males. The female gains superior sperm, and gets the benefit of having a male help rear the young! (and don't think that male isn't trying to score some side action too, it's not a one-sided lie!)

Those are just a couple examples, but there are lots more throughout the animal kingdom.
mzprox
Animals do use deception as strategy, but some of them capable of lying just like us. (For example Koko the Gorilla blamed a cat for something he did Smile )
biolu
I think lies are only developed by animals with higher intelligence. As said earlier. It has been shown that Primates are able to lie. But I also think that the environment factor (being with humans) also influenced their behavior.
likeabreeze

Hognose snakes are good at playing dead.
Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hognose_snake#Behavior
Azur
I don't think animals can lie especially as their minds are not set to free thinking, only things they can do are the things that are planted into their minds. What we think as them deciding on stuff, they just go by their instinct and not free will.
Ankhanu
Azur wrote:
I don't think animals can lie especially as their minds are not set to free thinking, only things they can do are the things that are planted into their minds. What we think as them deciding on stuff, they just go by their instinct and not free will.

Care to supply alternate explanations for the examples provided previously in the thread, or to supply sources to back up your statements?
roadtripbuddies
I don't think lie is the right word, but some animals do deceive and there's a difference. Deceiving would be like camouflaging into the background and then attacking an oblivious prey
limpands
Lol, no. Animals is uncapable of lying.
zimmer
limpands wrote:

I think this is correct. I guess they are not lying but they become more wiser as the grows.

Wiser and more experience.
Ankhanu
zimmer wrote:
limpands wrote:

I think this is correct. I guess they are not lying but they become more wiser as the grows.

Wiser and more experience.

Any supporting info to back the "no" case?
zakaria19
lol i do not think so?
filledwallet
theres bird im not sure hows its name... anyway, when he feels hes in danger, he gets on hes back and acting like its dead... after few minutes it just flips back on its legs and keep walking...

i would say its more like, wtf, im dead... no, im not!
pretty big lie for an animal
CHAOS-THEORY
i dont wanna live in this planet anymore;;;;;; what kind of question is in the title
Queiros
animals dont lying xD
joetruong
This is a really interesting topic. Might have to do some research about this!
windhw
How do you know animals without thinking ? you are not animal so u don't konw what they are thinking
Peterssidan wrote:
I think many animals do this without thinking about it. Hoverflies look like bees to scare away predators. Anglerfishes has a bait on their head to lure smaller predators close enough to eat them. Cuckoos lay similar looking eggs in the nests of another bird spices to make them take care of them in the belief that it is their own.
Mrs_Robota
of course yes, and all time, even if they have not idea what it means... they need to survive and they will do whatever for that...
supermanlovejan
No.......
Ankhanu
supermanlovejan wrote:
No.......

Explain.
osamaterra
I think one has to choose the right expression/word. Animals pretend of something to fool their enemy but not lie.
Blummer
I don't think they do. But if they really do - only in case of things like hunting another animal. I think they mostly lack the ability to lie, which is something unique. Ah, there are too many things we can still learn from the animals. Wink
mshafiq
I also do not think that they lie.Because they are not as intelligent as human.So according to me they never lie.
cps31
No, they dont have that sense like human of saying lie to anything.
loveandormoney
Dennise wrote:
One of the characteristic behaviors of humans is the capability and the actual practice of lying and deception. Often the truth is very hard to get out of clever liars.

I have heard accounts of primate deception in baboons where some individuals were seen to give the impression of hiding food in one location while - in fact - concealing the food in a completely different location.

I find it intriguing that other species are capable of such deception that clearly requires a degree of mental complexity, and future planing.

Has anyone seen or know about other accounts of animal duplicity?

Animals like humans can never lie.
Example. She is saying Your food is delicious. But in her eyes You can see the lies.
asaf
Even Bacteria can "cheat"! A lot of Bacteria can form a community (using "quorum sensing"). In this community the bacteria release enzymes to the medium to help them digest the nutrients so they will be small enough to pass the membrane. Some researchers showed that some the bacteria cheat and don't secrete the proteins to the media and only enjoy the production of their neighbours.
mshafiq
I heard this that animals are intelligent but i did not heard that they cheat. Some animals are very cleaver.
ujjawall
animal is better than us in way of faith.
zarawatsonn
First of all your question is very intresting, any i think everyone wants to give answer for this question. As far i think, yes there are so many chances that animal can lie, but may be they don't know what they are doing.

It's totally a mystery!!!!!
Insanity
I think it depends on what you mean by lying. Animals can't speak so they can't lie like that. However, they can camoflauge and do other tricks that divert attention and don't explain the entire truth. So they can be ly ing in order to feed on prety or avoid predators.