FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Should firearms safety be taught in schools?

ocalhoun
Take two facts:
1- Kids accidentally shooting themselves or others when they play with guns they find happens occasionally.
2- Americans aren't going to give up their guns, and they're not even likely to put up with (or comply with) regulations that require them to keep them secured at all times if children are around.

Given those two, is it not reasonable to teach firearms safety in schools?
I'm not talking about teaching kids how to shoot, only about teaching them the basics of how to handle firearms safely. (Sure you can just tell them not to touch guns, but are kids likely to obey that?)
Basically, just the four rules (http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html) and the basics of how to tell if various types of guns are loaded or not, and perhaps how to safely unload them, and how to turn the more common types of safeties on and off. And wrap it up with an emphasis that people die from this -- that you should never play with a real gun.

Your thoughts?
deanhills
Exactly what I suggested after the last school shooting, except maybe with a slightly different focus and not limited to school children. People should be educated how to use guns safely and how to be responsible for their guns. This education should be compulsory and not something of a luxury. For example, if someone should purchase a gun there should be a requirement for having undergone special screening and special training first. I.e. a person would need to demonstrate capability, responsibility, and maturity with which to handle and shoot guns. Would be great if the Government could introduce free education as well. For children and for adults. I'd say high up on the list would be how to store guns safely, how to handle guns safely, how to shoot safely, how to react when someone is wielding a gun, etc.
Josso
JoryRFerrell
deanhills wrote:
Exactly what I suggested after the last school shooting, except maybe with a slightly different focus and not limited to school children. People should be educated how to use guns safely and how to be responsible for their guns. This education should be compulsory and not something of a luxury. For example, if someone should purchase a gun there should be a requirement for having undergone special screening and special training first. I.e. a person would need to demonstrate capability, responsibility, and maturity with which to handle and shoot guns. Would be great if the Government could introduce free education as well. For children and for adults. I'd say high up on the list would be how to store guns safely, how to handle guns safely, how to shoot safely, how to react when someone is wielding a gun, etc.

Required screening and training sounds like a good compromise. But there are some issues. For instance, in the south. Wouldn't minorities have a tougher time getting approved for a weapon due to racism. And if you are gay, you could basically forget about ever owning even that cute little derringer.
But it does seem like a good idea, just a few kinks.