FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Light pollution

twotrophy
Quote:
A comparison of the view of the night sky from a small rural town (top) and a metropolitan area (bottom). Light pollution dramatically reduces the visibility of stars.

Light pollution is when there is too much excessive artificial light. This causes stars to be invisible as well as messing up with our internal biological clock. It seems that few people are aware of how the sky looks like in areas significantly far from cities. If you look at the photograph on Wikipedia, you would probably be surprised how the sky looks in such areas. The good news is that light pollution can be reduced by having light sources facing down to reduce the amount of light being reflected into the sky which ruins the view of the sky. What do you think about this? Has anyone seen the "real" sky before? Hopefully, this post would increase awareness of this problem in cities worldwide.
amagard
I remember when I was on Crete island long ago up in the mountains and we stepped out of the alpine hut in the middle of the night and looked up and just said: "Wow !"
This had been a true indication to us that we are not used anymore to see a real night sky with millions of stars, since we all live in crowded areas where there is simply too much artificial light to have a clear view into space.
twotrophy
I have never viewed the sky with so many stars before. I do not go on holidays often and I usually go only to places nearby. The furthest place that I have visited was only a 3.5 hour flight excluding take off and landing time. Are there any good tourist destinations with a clear view of the stars? I really want to see them. I also recommend visiting darksky.org which is the website of the International Dark Sky Association (IDA).
amagard
Manua Kea on Hawaii must be a great place to watch the night sky since it is home of many observatories.
twotrophy
Thank you for your suggestion. I have never been the USA before so I might consider it. I am trying to visit more countries. Last year I visited 2 different places. I hope to visit more. The most annoying part on going on a holiday is to get lost overseas.
descent_of_man
A book was recently published about light pollution, but I can't remember the title of it. I heard an interview on NPR with the author. His thesis for the book had to do with humans losing their desire to learn about the sky and space, philosophy and what everything means. Instead of looking at the 'out there' at night, people are staring at screens, which in turn is altering brain functions, sleep patterns, etc. And the majority of humans, living in cities, have so much light pollution that they couldn't see the stars if they wanted to.
Interesting thoughts.
Afaceinthematrix
I feel that this topic is a real copy-and-paste magnet. However, since it is an issue I will give my two cents. I like looking out at the stars and almost my entire life - up until very recently - I have lived in the big city and so I was often unable to see any stars. Now that I don't live in the big city, I do enjoy looking up when it isn't cloudy. As nice as looking up at the stars is, though, I do not see why this would be a huge issue to be concerned about when there are far more pressing and dangerous ecological disasters to worry about other than not being able to see the stars. I guess it can be seen as symbolic of how much energy we use...