FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Escaping Strings For Data Insertion

welshsteve
Hi everyone. I have used mysql_real_escape_string before to make sure I don't get errors when updating databases. But what do you do when you're inserting data using a html form? There is no mysql data to escape.

I have to say that escaping strings is a real pain as the website I manage deals with people's names, so anyone with an apostrophe in their name causes issues.
welshsteve
I was always told you can't use mysql_real_escape_string to escape strings until you have a data connection, but I have just tried it and it works. I will look at moving to PDO when I re-do the website over the summer (it's a sports league, so don't want to mess with it until the season is finished)
Peterssidan
I'm not sure I understand the problem. All that mysql_real_escape_string does is that it escapes the characters so that they are safe to use in mysql_query().
codersfriend
have you tried htmlspecialchars?
friend2012
Use htmlspecialchars or htmlentities to convert save html tahs and other enities in mysql data.
Later you can use htmlspecialchars_decode or html_entity_decode to get html text.

You can find complete instructions about these function on php.net.
existenz
I don't think there is a real way of fully escaping a string without using mysql_real_escape_string. To use it you must have a connection to the DB opened either with mysql_connect or mysql_pconnect. You can also use it on inserts from HTML forms. For example:

Code:

$name = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['name']);

mysql_query("INSERT INTO `users` VALUES ('. $name .')");

Hope that helps...
codersfriend
preventing errors from single quotes also helps the security of your website. Since hackers can use sql injection if there is an error in character insert