FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there only one true religion.

nickfyoung
All religions claim to be the one true religion and all others false. Is this because of the claims of the adherents or the god of the religion. With Christianity, God claims to be the only true God. Is this the same with all other religions. Is the God of each religion claiming to be exclusive or is it the members of that religion who are making the claim. Is there a difference and does it matter. How does your God reveal his claims to you, written word or some other means. Some believe that there are many true religions and salvation can come through them all while others believe that salvation is exclusive to their particular religion. Does it matter what you believe as long as you are content or should you be out actively pushing your religion. If there are many Gods of all these religions all claiming to be the one true God maybe they should fight it out between them first so then we would know.
Ankhanu
nickfyoung wrote:
...With Christianity, God claims to be the only true God. Is this the same with all other religions. Is the God of each religion claiming to be exclusive or is it the members of that religion who are making the claim. Is there a difference and does it matter.

No, it is not the same with all religions. In fact, it is almost exclusively the domain of the Abrahamic religions. Though the tenets of various other religions may claim that their deity is the best deity to worship, placate, revere, etc., they don't tend to outright deny other deities the way the tenets of the Abrahamic god (now) does. They may see the gods and faiths of other religions as lesser, but, there is recognition that they "exist", as it were. Look at things historically, in the way that various regional religions interacted in conflict and in war... or even how the adherents of different gods within the same religion interacted and regarded one anothers' patron choices.
Look at how Hindus regard their patheon and the gods of others... clearly not all religions take the "It's my way, and only may way" approach that Yahweh/God/Jehova/Allah/choose your favourite name does.
The Abrahamic religions aren't alone in the "only true god" approach, but those that take that approach are somewhat in the minority, in terms of numbers of religions (not in terms of numbers of followers).

nickfyoung wrote:
Does it matter what you believe as long as you are content or should you be out actively pushing your religion.

That would really depend on the tenets of the specific religion you might be referencing.
Personally, I think one should strive to find truth, not be contented with belief and spreading that belief... but that's a slightly different topic Wink

nickfyoung wrote:
If there are many Gods of all these religions all claiming to be the one true God maybe they should fight it out between them first so then we would know.

Again, look into your history, and look into the breadth of human culture... in many religions the gods DO fight it out to see who's the best... and in many inter-religion conflicts, that's exactly what the religious believed was happening; as the humans battled for their gods, such was their gods' power and supremacy determined.

In the end, little changed, or there were just more dead people.
TheLimey
Well "one religion".. I guess there is one true religion but does anyone really follow it? Probably not as we do not know exactly what it is. But of course there will be one truth somewhere between evolution and Raeliens.
Ankhanu
Evolution isn't religion, Limey Wink
Also, saying that one must be true is faulty, it's possible that no religion is true and they're all untrue constructions.
_AVG_
I'd say there is one Truth with many sides to it, like a sphere has one radius which extends in all directions.

I really like the Jain principle of Anekantavada whereby reality is multi-sided. There is also a nice related sevenfold logical predication known as Syadvada whereby any proposition can be true, false, both, indefinite, true and indefinite or false and indefinite.

In any case, I don't like the word "religion", there's just truth - the set of natural laws that govern the universe, and that is just one.
Stay_Classy
_AVG_ wrote:
In any case, I don't like the word "religion", there's just truth - the set of natural laws that govern the universe, and that is just one.

This. It is also very possible that the universe is created in such a way that each person goes to the heaven/hell of whatever religion they believed. I really don't believe that, though.
nayakjyotirmaya
i believe gods are beings with scientific advances of billions of year ahead of us.
i mean they are the first living things in the universe and the oldest
so tthey are the most wise,knowledgeable,powerful,controlling and have learnt almost all things about universe.
LxGoodies
hi @nayakjyotirmaya,

Quote:
they are the first living things in the universe and the oldest

Greeks and Romans used to believe that as well. Prior to Greek civilisation on Crete (Minoic) there would have existed a complete society - on earth - that was populated by gods and demigods e.g. Heracles being a warrior, Zeus being a king, etcetera. All these gods had offspring, together making up the Pantheon ( Πάνθεον or pan-theon, that is "every god, anywhere"), their well-known adventures shaped into Greek mythology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Olympians

In a sense the religion of Greeks and Romans was not a single religion: Romans regarded their gods as independent entities, each guarding and ruling specific aspects of life. As Roman society went more complex, the Roman Gods spawned separate "personifications" that represented certain divine aspects : Aequitas, Fortune, Felicitas, Virtus.. centuries later, Jungian psychologists developed the idea of Archetypes, which is actually very close to the Roman habit of distinguishing aspects of their individual gods..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_psychology

Lx
Habbount
We must believe in our religions but respect the others two!
crazyfffan
There is no true religions, because all of them are false faith. All religions start with someone created the whole universe, but fail to explain the most fundamental problem, that is who created the Creator in the first place.
fahrkarte
god creates no religion, but it is man made. the rule of god is as natural as the living itself. this universe is made to be enjoyed but with responsibility. the responsibility is a sign that we believe in god. intellect and heart. those both tools are the guidance. as long as you use them, you cant accept something making no sense and your sense of love to other is out of discrimination. read this, you may find something: http://mentalbondageinthenameofgod.wordpress.com/fundamental-reading-principles/
catscratches
crazyfffan wrote:
All religions start with someone created the whole universe, but fail to explain the most fundamental problem, that is who created the Creator in the first place.
Not all religions have any creation myth. LaVeyan satanism doesn't (as far as I'm aware, anyhow).

There's not reason religions necessarily have to contradict each other (although they usually do) so there's not reason multiple religions couldn't be true at once. I doubt a single one of them is true, though. Let alone mutiple ones.
firmsactingunethically
nickfyoung wrote:
All religions claim to be the one true religion and all others false.

I don't think that is the case for two reasons:
1. Not all religions advance that they are the "true" belief. As an example, Hinduism does not advocate any particular belief. Judaism, while dogmatically exclusive, applies only to Jews, with a basic morality applicable to other (called "Noachic laws).

2. There are a number of cultures which accept and practice multiple religions without philosophical conflict. Japanese typically follow Shinto and Buddhism. Voodoo tends to be practiced along with other religions.
nickfyoung
Christianity claims to be the one true religion according to the Bible. The god of the Bible claims to be the one true God and all others false. He calls himself a jealous God and will have no other before him.
LxGoodies
Nick wrote:
He calls himself a jealous God

Is that really so ? How is that stated in the bible ?

Lx
nickfyoung
Quote:
Exodus 34
The Lord Renews the Covenant
13But you shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves: 14For you shall worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God: 15Lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go a whoring after their gods, and do sacrifice to their gods, and one call you, and you eat of his sacrifice;

Exodus 20:3 "You shall have no other gods before me.Exodus 20:5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,Deuteronomy 4:24 For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.Joshua 24:19 Joshua said to the people, "You are not able to serve the LORD. He is a holy God; he is a jealous God. He will not forgive your rebellion and your sins.

http://biblehub.com/exodus/34-14.htm
LxGoodies
firmsactingunethically wrote:

2. There are a number of cultures which accept and practice multiple religions without philosophical conflict. Japanese typically follow Shinto and Buddhism. Voodoo tends to be practiced along with other religions.

The Romans had a similar approach. But they adhered only one religion. That may seem a contradiction for modern monotheist believers, but still it is the case. Romans assimilated other religions. While the Roman empire expanded, Romans simply included the gods of the peoples they conquered in their religion, as minor gods, or new personifications of existing gods.

One example in my country was Nehellenia. There exist many Roman inscriptions honouring this Celt goddess of the sea.

http://worldwardiary.com/history/Nehellenia

Lx
redhakaw
There is one true religion, and it is Judaism.

This is the only religion that was ordained by God.

But then this religion failed, therefore God incarnated as a man in the person of Jesus Christ.

He did this not to create a new religion, but to abolish the law of ordinances.

In the New Testament era, God has no need of religion, for Christ has become all in all.

The single main purpose of every religion that man knew is to make man good.

What God wants today are not good people, but God-people, god-man.

Grace and Peace to you all Wink
emedeiros
nickfyoung wrote:
Is the God of each religion claiming to be exclusive or is it the members of that religion who are making the claim. Is there a difference and does it matter.

Well, I believe there is a difference. Like, the second commandment of Jehovah says "thou shalt have no other gods before me": does it mean that he doesn't want his worshippers to worship any other existing god (in this case there would be several real gods), or does it mean that he doesn't want them to worship all the other non-existing, false gods (in this case only Jehovah would actually exist)?

MODERATOR - Italics replaced by quote tags; please use quote tags when quoting others. Please refer to the forum rules here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-13011.html
- Ankhanu
Inception
The way I see it as long as you enjoy life, there is no need for religion, I believe in reincarnation(In the sense that we reincarnate as the same species and forget our past lives) and what is the point of life if you aren't going to enjoy it? As for a "True religion", I don't believe in this at all, all religion is valid as long as the practitioner is truly devoted to their faith. I am an eclectic Pagan.
Baznik
well... perhaps we could distinguish between monistic systems that posit a single homogenous stuff like Brahman, "the One", materialism, etc ; those which are clearly polytheistic, and those positing a creation existing separately from but in relation to its Creator.

Clearly, (I think), these basic categories can't be simultaneously true. If there is a single creator then polytheism is false as is monism in so far as the creation is not constructed out of the Creator like waves are constructed of water.

Clearly, something must be true because it would be incoherent to claim that nothing is true - which leaves a creation separate from but in relation to its Creator. There are 3 main systems to consider here: Judaism, Christianity & Islam and again they can't all be simultaneously true insofar as they have mutually exclusive opinions about Christ.

It's not difficult, except for the enormous prejudice we bring to bear against the obvious. Wink
Iceaxe0410
I don't have too much experience with religious studies as I only took one course in college. But, it was a general overview of the different disciplines so I have a general idea of what these different faiths involve. I would say if there is one "true" religion, we will never know what it is until we ourselves pass into the next life. However, I do believe that there is a lot of overlap. I feel that if there is a God, that particular God has many names and different incarnations. This can be somewhat proved by tracing the different branches of religion back to it's origins. There are so many different denominations now that it's often difficult to believe that any specific one is the "true" religion after going through so many different modifications and changes. We know this to be true because it occurs in modern day. You might have one group that branches off on their own from a difference in opinion.

I guess what I want to say is that most of these religions have at least some things in common. The main one being that there is a God. Not so much polytheism anymore, but that could be included as well if you make an assumption that God is an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient being. Who's to say that God couldn't be one and multiples at the same time. I don't really have a particular preference when it comes to religion as I'm not a very religious person myself. If I had to describe my faith, it would be that of a deist.
amagard
_AVG_ wrote:
I'd say there is one Truth with many sides to it....

If human mankind would know the truth about how we came into existence than we probably wouldn't need any religion. Nobody knows. Even the smartest physicist don't have a full explanation available how the universe was created. For most people of those who don't know how we came into existence a religion is needed to replace that uncertainty.

I can live with this uncertainty, I don't need to know, I can happily live my life without requiring an answer to every question. Most people are different, they need an answer to that question and may be the other question: "What comes after death". And because nobody knows, people have invented religions and written books like The Bible, The Koran or whatever other books are used by other religions.

Quote:
"It is your mind that creates this world."
said Siddhartha Buddha.

According to the book "Siddharta" written by Herman Hesse Siddharta also said:
Quote:
No, a true seeker, one who truly wished to find, could accept no doctrine.

Replace "doctrine" with "religion" and you get this meaning: someone who really seeks for the truth shouldn't join any religion !
johans
I dont know. Every body claims they are the one.