FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Romeo and Juliet

twotrophy
Have anyone read the original text of Romeo and Juliet? I am currently studying it in school. Reading the original text in Middle English is more interesting than the modern translation. One very important thing to take note of is that it is not a book, but a play. It is the best fiction work that I have read so far even though I only read a small part of it. It can also be read online at many websites. One difficulty you might encounter is that reading it may be difficult because the English language have changed from time to time. It is not common that written works survive centuries later so I suggest that we appreciate this. It seems that during his lifetime, he was never appreciated or famous until the 17th century.
From: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Shakespeare's_reputation#section_3
Quote:
In his own time, William Shakespeare (1564–1616) was seen as merely one among many talented playwrights and poets, but ever since the late 17th century he has been considered the supreme playwright,
capricornis
I am not sure if the English of Shakespeare is particularly difficult for today's reader. It is not like Chaucer's which is only remotely recognizable. If you don't mind a few knoweths and doeths and thees and thous, then Romeo and Juliet should be just fine read.

It is a great play, great story, wonderful characters, interesting plot and action, though the ending is a bit too depressing, but all in the fashion of the times in which it was created.

I am not sure why would W.S. be treated the same as all the other playwrights in his time, when today none of the others is even mentioned. How fleeting a thing fame is when most of the greatest artists have received their proper praise only centuries after their deaths and thus being unable to enjoy any of the fruits of their art and work.
twotrophy
capricornis wrote:

It is a great play, great story, wonderful characters, interesting plot and action, though the ending is a bit too depressing, but all in the fashion of the times in which it was created.

I am not sure why would W.S. be treated the same as all the other playwrights in his time, when today none of the others is even mentioned. How fleeting a thing fame is when most of the greatest artists have received their proper praise only centuries after their deaths and thus being unable to enjoy any of the fruits of their art and work.

I have heard of at least a few other people who was never famous during his/her lifetime. This teaches us a lesson on appreciation. I am only a little bit bothered by the sad ending. It makes it unique because very few stories have sad endings. Translated versions into modern English also exist.
Radar
I enjoy Shakespeare, but if I were to read Romeo and Juliet, it wouldn't be for the fact that it's Shakespeare. I'd be to get a proper perspective on this cultural reference that keeps repeating throughout everything.

King Lear. That I want to read because it's Shakespeare.
testsoc
IMO, it's overrated..

It has been dubbed the most famous love story of all-time, I just don't see how. It focuses on two immature teenagers from families that rivalled against one another whom hardly ever got to experience any chemistry with one another and despite the rivalry between their families they still fell in love, had sex and died together; the whole story took place in the span of a few days and the two only knew each other for the total of a few hours.
twotrophy
testsoc wrote:
IMO, it's overrated..

It has been dubbed the most famous love story of all-time, I just don't see how. It focuses on two immature teenagers from families that rivalled against one another whom hardly ever got to experience any chemistry with one another and despite the rivalry between their families they still fell in love, had sex and died together; the whole story took place in the span of a few days and the two only knew each other for the total of a few hours.

From my life experience, I think although I doubt a little bit that it is possible for such a thing to happen. It is true that this play is not completely original. It was adapted from The Tragic History of Romeus and Juliet which is still a translation

Worse of all, the Tragic History of Romeus and Juliet is just a translation of an Italian novella which is paraphrased and added a character called a Nurse. This is indeed disappointing.
Quote:
Although the plot behind Romeo and Juliet was well-know in Shakespeare’s time, it is believed that Shakespeare primarily worked from Brooke’s 1562 poem entitled The Tragical History of Romeus and Juliet.
From:shakespeare.about.com/od/theplays/a/Shakespeare_Sources.htm

Quote:
considered to be William Shakespeare's chief source for his famous play Romeo and Juliet. Though ostensibly a translation from the Italian of Bandello, Brooke's poem is a free paraphrase.
TurtleShell
I'm not sure that Romeo and Juliet is famous for any specific reason, it just is. This is like the Mona Lisa. It's been somewhat blown out of proportion.