FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Enable points for the Introductions forum

twotrophy
I think that points should be enabled for the Introductions forum. New users are less willing to write threads in the introductions forum and few people are replying to these threads. Maybe by enabling points, that topic would be more active. Another possible alternative is to reduce the number of points in the Introductions forum. But would this lead to spam?
ocalhoun
twotrophy wrote:
the Introductions forum. But would this lead to spam?

Well...

What's a little more, after all. It's already super-spammy.

At the risk of calling doom upon us all,
It couldn't get any worse.
Peterssidan
It has been suggested before. I think one of the main issues is that it's too easy to just copy paste tutorials. Many of the tutorials are taken from other sites.

I don't think allowing points in the introductions forum is a good idea. What is written there is usually not useful or interesting. It is far too easy to post the same message in all of the threads.
twotrophy
Sorry, what I meant was only about the Introductions forum. I think that my suggestion is a bad idea because of the quality of the posts by some of the new users. By the way, what about disabling points for the Advertise your website topic?
deanhills
I think it's a great idea twotrophy. I don't think it would make a great difference in the number of posts there, but it at least won't discourage those who would have made posts, but thought it not worth their while because there are no points for those.
twotrophy
Thank you Deanhills for your information. But I think that it is too insincere to reply to the threads in that topic just to get points because the only reason why will they do this is to get points instead of making them feel comfortable. It turns out that people still do reply to these topics. We just need to encourage more people to post on that topic.
johans
deanhills wrote:
I think it's a great idea twotrophy. I don't think it would make a great difference in the number of posts there, but it at least won't discourage those who would have made posts, but thought it not worth their while because there are no points for those.

i agree... that is a great idea. sometimes i encounter this feelings. Its no difference whether posting on main topic and posting on introduction topic and i think spam is not issue also here.

I have seen advertise your site topic a lot of spam but that produce points in posting there so no difference at all.
Vanilla
Peterssidan wrote:
I don't think allowing points in the introductions forum is a good idea. What is written there is usually not useful or interesting. It is far too easy to post the same message in all of the threads.

I agree with Peterssidan. Allowing points for "Hello!" or "welcome to Frihost!"? Doesn't seem wise. Imagine people posting welcome messages in old topics just to get points. The forum would be flooded with non-useful topics. My suggestion would be to get rid of the Introductions forum. But since people are still using it (albeit it doesn't happen much) just leave it like it is now.